Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jun 10, 2021 - 12:14 PM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Oh, I explore like a madman too. Old scores, new scores, non-film music. But it's all digital files (streaming, digital promos, what have you). In terms of physical albums (CDs and LPs), it's all very much limited to that want list. Due, in no small part, to the aforementioned challenges.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2021 - 1:31 AM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

Oh, I explore like a madman too. Old scores, new scores, non-film music. But it's all digital files (streaming, digital promos, what have you). In terms of physical albums (CDs and LPs), it's all very much limited to that want list. Due, in no small part, to the aforementioned challenges.

I see. Yes, streaming is very convenient to explore new and current releases or stuff you're not familiar with.
I still buy CDs now and then, especially limited film score editions such as the current batch of new releases including THE PUBLIC EYE, but also downloads, depending on price, convenience, availability, etc. It all ends up as ALACs on my NAS anyway.

Posted:   Jun 18, 2021 - 8:34 AM   
 By:   Spymaster   (Member)

The biggest issue I have with streaming - whether from an external service, or from my NAS - is that everything is entirely at the mercy of my home wi-fi (since it's not practical to connect every device, on every floor, via Ethernet). And wi-fi is generally a pretty bad technology, subject to all sorts of issues.

Powerline cables are okay as an alternative (magical actually, in some respects, but not everyone has that option either, depending on how your home's electric cables are wired).

At least with CD you're guaranteed to reach the end of it!

Posted:   Jun 18, 2021 - 8:36 AM   
 By:   Spymaster   (Member)

Yes, streaming is very convenient to explore new and current releases or stuff you're not familiar with.

And, of course, it's basically free once you've heard the first 1 or 2 albums per monthly £20(ish) payment. After that you're not paying for a single note, no matter how many albums you listen to, or how often. It's a wacky model for sure!

How artists benefit from it is beyond me (they basically don't of course)