Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Feb 14, 2019 - 5:13 AM   
 By:   WagnerAlmighty   (Member)

Goransson made a brilliant piece of art with this score. Absolutely tremendous! He should win the Oscar imho. Vinyl=Sale!!

Ooo the vinyl is tempting...

Posted:   Feb 14, 2019 - 5:59 AM   
 By:   mikecee1   (Member)

https://www.disneystudiosawards.com/black-panther/score

Posted:   Feb 14, 2019 - 7:16 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

15 tracks in and that went nowhere. Lots of pounding noise, a few motifs, no cohesion. Blandorama.

Posted:   Feb 14, 2019 - 9:22 AM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

I would buy a single disc
Cd.
Nuff said#!!!!

Posted:   Feb 14, 2019 - 9:51 AM   
 By:   WagnerAlmighty   (Member)

Well, I gave the score a listen. It's good imo...but I feel like I've heard better (Avengers, Iron Man 1 and 3, Infinity War) and MUCH better (First Avenger).

The composer did a fine job...perhaps my meh at the movie is influencing my listening. And I really don't plan on watching that recycled drek of a movie again (btw I was a Panther fan back in the 70s...the comics; so I was super disappointed in the film).

No offense fans, really.

Posted:   Feb 14, 2019 - 9:53 AM   
 By:   jwb1   (Member)

Black Panther is one of the more interesting scores to come out of Marvel films. Great work that deserves a disc release.

Posted:   Feb 14, 2019 - 9:59 AM   

Well, I gave the score a listen. It's good imo...but I feel like I've heard better (Avengers, Iron Man 1 and 3, Infinity War) and MUCH better (First Avenger).

The composer did a fine job...perhaps my meh at the movie is influencing my listening. And I really don't plan on watching that recycled drek of a movie again (btw I was a Panther fan back in the 70s...the comics; so I was super disappointed in the film).

No offense fans, really.

Glad to see you praise TFA.
That and AVENGERS are the creme de la creme!

Posted:   Feb 14, 2019 - 11:02 AM   
 By:   DavidCoscina   (Member)

No offense fans, really.

I reacted the same upon the first viewing but watched it several more times, and with each viewing, I came to appreciate the film more and more.

Goransson did an admirable job of fusing various genres together. There's the percussive African material, the Hip Hop 808 for Killmonger (underscoring his American roots), and the brass statement which I think is quite memorable and is quoted/varied throughout the score. In fact there is a fair bit of development of key themes and motives, surprising for Marvel music fare to be sure.

However, I do think people toss around the word "genius" too liberally these days. Film composer geniuses to me are limited to Bernard Herrmann because of how he created a new musical-cinematic language that did not draw on the late 19th century masters. Goldsmith is a close second. Korngold, Williams, Rosza, Tiomkin, North, etc etc are all masterful examples of technique and inspiration, but their music still draws from what they knew rather than forging into a new direction. Of course this is debatable and I've once again wandered off topic....

Do I think Black Panther is one of the best scores from 2018? Yes. Is it as musically sophisticated as say John Powell's HTTYD: The Hidden World? No. But as we both know, it's not just pure music content that determines a score's viability and effectiveness. If I want really meaty listening, I turn to Shostakovich or Bruckner or Mahler or Stravinsky etc etc.

Posted:   Feb 14, 2019 - 11:12 AM   

Dave is correct about Bennie and Jerry.
Morricone also fits that category. Although he might be sui generis.
Talent plus innovation equals genius!
Brm

Posted:   Feb 14, 2019 - 2:35 PM   
 By:   DavidCoscina   (Member)

Dave is correct about Bennie and Jerry.
Morricone also fits that category. Although he might be sui generis.
Talent plus innovation equals genius!
Brm

Agreed. What Morricone did for westerns was innovative and defined a new music language for that genre. I also think his score for The Thing is absolutely amazing and a wonderful tribute to Bartok.