Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Nov 20, 2021 - 11:51 AM   
 By:   EdG   (Member)

Unlike Paul I'm not the biggest fan of Ravel. Oftentimes I find Ravel's famous orchestrational ability to be... self-consciously showy?

That's funny. Those are exactly the qualities I like about Ravel: he's big, loud, gaudy and glorious. Only Rachmaninoff can outdo him.

Posted:   Nov 20, 2021 - 12:19 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

"Gaudy" is a good word for what bothers me about the orchestration in some (not all) works by Ravel and Rimsky-Korsakov, another famously showy orchestrator. It may even be a little too harsh of a word for what I feel, lol... I actually like Rachmaninov's orchestration much better in general, especially in his final masterpiece, the Symphonic Dances. It's the piano writing of his that sometimes gets a little showy for my taste, a "look what I can do!" attitude... but then he was also a pianist and performing his own compositions so there really WAS a "look what I can do!" aspect in performance as well as composition, there.

Yavar

Posted:   Nov 20, 2021 - 2:47 PM   
 By:   Paul MacLean   (Member)

I don't care for "Bolero" at all, but I love "Mother Goose", "Valses nobles et sentimentales" and particularly "Pavane pour une infante defunte".

Posted:   Nov 20, 2021 - 2:57 PM   
 By:   DavidCoscina   (Member)

I don't care for "Bolero" at all, but I love "Mother Goose", "Valses nobles et sentimentales" and particularly "Pavane pour une infante defunte".

Add Le Tombeau des Couperin. beautiful work

A contemporary of Ravel was Lili Boulanger. Tragically passed away at the age of 24 but she's oft regarded as part of the trinity of French composers of that era including Ravel and Debussy.

Slightly off topic..

Posted:   Nov 20, 2021 - 3:25 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Haha you just rattled off a list of my other favorite Ravel pieces (I think he really excelled in ballet)… aside from Bolero of course which is one of my most hated pieces of classical music ever.

Yavar

Posted:   Nov 20, 2021 - 8:29 PM   
 By:   jkruppa   (Member)

I love Bolero but Mother Goose was the first piece of music I remember hearing in my teens where the orchestration conjured all sorts of little details and images. A profound experience for me.

Posted:   Nov 20, 2021 - 8:47 PM   

Haha you just rattled off a list of my other favorite Ravel pieces (I think he really excelled in ballet)… aside from Bolero of course which is one of my most hated pieces of classical music ever.

Ravel once said "My one undeniable classic is 'Bolero'. Unfortunately there is no music in it".

Posted:   Nov 21, 2021 - 3:04 AM   
 By:   CindyLover   (Member)

I didn't expect to hear this in the episode...

Posted:   Nov 21, 2021 - 3:35 PM   
 By:   W. David Lichty [Lorien]   (Member)

It's got a track list now, the Legend Spotlight:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1__664tmWsVtXTp2LdsQjbTo8T5gFuzORjQJc7f6rfnc/edit?usp=sharing

Posted:   Nov 21, 2021 - 5:52 PM   

I didn't expect to hear this in the episode...

Barry Gray was my "gateway drug"!

big grin