Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Nov 18, 2019 - 1:35 PM   
 By:   Mike Esssss   (Member)

While I stand by my initial reaction that the score in the first episode was distracting, I have to admit that, now having settled into the approach after watching two episodes and listened to the score tracks apart from the show, it's really growing on me. Especially the main Mandalorian motif, which takes more inspiration from Morricone than Williams.

Posted:   Nov 18, 2019 - 2:22 PM   
 By:   jurassicmaromaro   (Member)

While I stand by my initial reaction that the score in the first episode was distracting, I have to admit that, now having settled into the approach after watching two episodes and listened to the score tracks apart from the show, it's really growing on me. Especially the main Mandalorian motif, which takes more inspiration from Morricone than Williams.

I still found it really distracting. I think the problem is the music never seems to rhythmically match what's occurring on screen and so many moments that would be best scored with silence or quiet music are over-scored with noise.

I think you're right that it's very Morricone, right down to the woodwind theme from A Fistful of Dollars.

But I still think it's a score just like BORDERLANDS from 2009 or any other ambient videogame soundtrack. From BORDERLANDS, listen to "Enter Skag Gully", "Removing the Bandit Threat", "Traversing the Deep", "The Junkyard Vista", "Welcome to the Trash Coast", "Trash the Bandits", or "Bring Your Guns". ANY ONE of those tracks could be swapped into The Mandalorian and they'd kick butt and you wouldn't know the difference. "Bring Your Guns" even has a woodwind theme just like in The Mandalorian.

That's why I'm not really impressed with the music in the show.

Posted:   Nov 18, 2019 - 9:36 PM   
 By:   GoblinScore   (Member)

What the hell is BORDERLANDS, and why is it all over these MANDOLORIAN threads???

The Mando score...its par for 2019. The macro for 'crescendo' has to have some ease of use for these composers to use endlessly....or they keep accidentally adding it, and forget to clear them? Or their program keeps adding it, like a virus? Effing crescendos.....
The duduk motif sounds like an unfinished attempt at Goldsmith. Its nothing we'll remember in 5 years. I'm going to bed.

Posted:   Nov 19, 2019 - 12:38 PM   
 By:   jurassicmaromaro   (Member)

What the hell is BORDERLANDS, and why is it all over these MANDOLORIAN threads???

The Mando score...its par for 2019. The macro for 'crescendo' has to have some ease of use for these composers to use endlessly....or they keep accidentally adding it, and forget to clear them? Or their program keeps adding it, like a virus? Effing crescendos.....
The duduk motif sounds like an unfinished attempt at Goldsmith. Its nothing we'll remember in 5 years. I'm going to bed.

BORDERLANDS is a 2009 videogame that has an atmosphere just like MANDALORIAN and the music sound exactly like MANDALORIAN but in some cases better.

You're right that Mandalorian's score is par for 2019, and in comparison to Borderlands, Mandalorian score is 10 years late being... meaning it's not very unique or interesting at all. It's just "new" for a Star Wars story.

Definitely check out the Borderlands score!

Posted:   Nov 20, 2019 - 5:07 AM   
 By:   5kiem   (Member)

Pick The Bill Conty track "Going The Distance" pitch up to 7 and slowdown to 7bpm.
Play together the same track :
https://soundcloud.com/5kiem/plagiat01

Posted:   Nov 20, 2019 - 5:19 AM   
 By:   batman&robin   (Member)

Pick The Bill Conty track "Going The Distance" pitch up to 7 and slowdown to 7bpm.
Play together the same track : https://soundcloud.com/5kiem/plagiat01

Brilliant, 5kiem !!

This is a perfect example why today's "young guns" aren't real composers, they're just very good with computers.

Posted:   Nov 20, 2019 - 5:55 AM   
 By:   Fabthelaw   (Member)

Play together the same track :
https://soundcloud.com/5kiem/plagiat01

So what, plagiarism ?? Goransson's track bears a close resemblance to Conti's "Going the distance", stylistically at least obviously, but you can't go that far, come on...