Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Dec 3, 2021 - 6:24 AM   
 By:   Peter Greenhill   (Member)

Purchased the lossless download of this album last night at midnight UK time and have been listening today. A pretty gorgeous recording. Beautiful vocals and the orchestral sound is thrilling, just listen to the Prologue. Sondheim apparently attended every recording session and gave his comments and suggestions.

I may watch the original over the weekend which I haven't seen for a while but I definitely up to see this Spielberg version.

Posted:   Dec 3, 2021 - 7:13 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

We all have biases but someone who "really doesn't like musicals" may not be the best person to give a review of a new musical film adaptation.

Perhaps not. I saw this as a Spielberg fan, not a musical fan. It's important to provide context for one's "review" of a film, though (if you could call a messageboard post that). We all have one.

I've noticed that the film has received loads of rave reviews. Credit to them, I suppose, but this was not for me.

Posted:   Dec 3, 2021 - 7:32 AM   
 By:   WillGoldNewtonBarryGrusin   (Member)

We all have biases but someone who "really doesn't like musicals" may not be the best person to give a review of a new musical film adaptation.

Perhaps not. I saw this as a Spielberg fan, not a musical fan. It's important to provide context for one's "review" of a film, though (if you could call a messageboard post that). We all have one.

I've noticed that the film has received loads of rave reviews. Credit to them, I suppose, but this was not for me.

That is perfectly respectable, of course.

I was just curious why you did not enjoy musicals?

Posted:   Dec 3, 2021 - 7:40 AM   
 By:   Rozsaphile   (Member)

Then there was another contrarian, Pauline Kael, who said WSS was a musical for people who hate musicals!

Posted:   Dec 3, 2021 - 7:56 AM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

I didn't know Dudamel was the conductor on this. That guy is a treasure; I saw a performance of mambo that he conducted some years ago and it was all blood and fire

Posted:   Dec 3, 2021 - 9:06 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Yeah, that's a complex issue that has to do with artifice, narrative engrossment, overt melodrama and stuff like that. Didn't want to derail the WSS thread with it. I often marvel at the sheer spectacle of them, though. Busby Berkeley's 42ND STREET, for exampe, is a bonafide masterpiece, whichever way you look at it. Probably my favourite film musical (again, animated movies notwithstanding).

Posted:   Dec 3, 2021 - 9:58 AM   
 By:   WillGoldNewtonBarryGrusin   (Member)

Yeah, that's a complex issue that has to do with artifice, narrative engrossment, overt melodrama and stuff like that. Didn't want to derail the WSS thread with it. I often marvel at the sheer spectacle of them, though. Busby Berkeley's 42ND STREET, for exampe, is a bonafide masterpiece, whichever way you look at it. Probably my favourite film musical (again, animated movies notwithstanding).

I see - thank you!

Posted:   Dec 3, 2021 - 2:08 PM   
 By:   eriknelson   (Member)

All the reviews I have read say the film is amazing. I'm excited to see this film.

I read the Variety review. If the reviewer is correct, this is going to be a great cinema experience. I had to laugh, though, when he wrote that the ending was still as weak as it was in the 1961 version. If so, he should take his gripe to Shakespeare and leave Tony Kushner alone. Ha!

Posted:   Dec 3, 2021 - 4:18 PM   
 By:   townerbarry   (Member)

I didn't know Dudamel was the conductor on this. That guy is a treasure; I saw a performance of mambo that he conducted some years ago and it was all blood and fire[/endquot

For Two Years Plus.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2021 - 12:40 AM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

Did he mention Jeanine Tesori as the "music director"? I gather that David Newman was only in charge of the orchestral arrangements? And Dudamel conducting? That's an unusual division of labor.

Tesori was the vocal director.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2021 - 9:35 AM   
 By:   TM   (Member)

Mambo here is pretty mediocre...UNTIL Wayne Bergeron just soars on the trumpet solo, with his trademark (a la Maynard) shaken 5ths!

Posted:   Dec 4, 2021 - 10:27 AM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

All the reviews I have read say the film is amazing. I'm excited to see this film.

I read the Variety review. If the reviewer is correct, this is going to be a great cinema experience. I had to laugh, though, when he wrote that the ending was still as weak as it was in the 1961 version. If so, he should take his gripe to Shakespeare and leave Tony Kushner alone. Ha!

Shakespeare had a different (darker) ending.

Yavar

Posted:   Dec 4, 2021 - 11:42 AM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

Tomorrow (Sunday, 5 December, 7 PM ET), the ABC news program 20/20 offers up a special that goes behind the scenes of the production of WEST SIDE STORY, interviewing Spielberg, Rita Moreno, and other actors and crew about this adaptation.