Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   May 17, 2019 - 9:35 AM   
 By:   JeffG   (Member)

Dudamel's involvement surprises me and I can't help but think that it is more of a marketing move than a creative one. David Newman is certainly more than capable of conducting this.

Posted:   May 17, 2019 - 9:56 AM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Dudamel's involvement surprises me and I can't help but think that it is more of a marketing move than a creative one. David Newman is certainly more than capable of conducting this.

Agreed. I'm a big fan of both conductors but this does seem like more of a PR for the film thing.

Yavar

Posted:   May 17, 2019 - 11:16 AM   
 By:   John Mullin   (Member)

I suspect it adds to the artistic prestige of the project to have a celebrity conductor onboard, not that the other players involved don't already add that.

Alternatively, I would hope that Newman would be too busy to conduct himself because he'll be deeply entrenched in working on the score for BILL & TED FACE THE MUSIC at the time.

Posted:   May 17, 2019 - 11:24 AM   

I like your thinkin', John...

Yavar

Posted:   May 17, 2019 - 11:53 AM   
 By:   eriknelson   (Member)

I wonder if the scoring sessions will use the LA Phil?

Posted:   May 17, 2019 - 3:39 PM   
 By:   Dadid L   (Member)

Agreed. I'm a big fan of both conductors but this does seem like more of a PR for the film thing.

Yavar

https://youtu.be/NYvEvP2cmdk

I always thought that Dudamel was part of this project from the beginning, as a conductor, friend of Williams, and especially for his action for Latin American youth. It's a perfect project for him, musically and humanly.

Posted:   May 17, 2019 - 11:53 PM   
 By:   Mike Matessino   (Member)

I always thought that Dudamel was part of this project from the beginning, as a conductor, friend of Williams, and especially for his action for Latin American youth. It's a perfect project for him, musically and humanly.

Gustavo has been involved from the beginning. David is participating with prerecordings and will step in as needed when Gustavo isn't available in postproduction. It might be LA Phil members playing but it's not going to be a huge orchestra, but something closer to the original Broadway instrumentation.

Posted:   May 18, 2019 - 12:41 AM   

Thanks for chiming in with the inside info Mike! I’m certainly intrigued at the thought of returning to more spare original Broadway orchestrations...

Yavar

Posted:   May 18, 2019 - 1:28 AM   
 By:   governor   (Member)

David Newman is one of the best conductors working today. No need for another one.

Posted:   May 18, 2019 - 11:25 AM   
 By:   Dadid L   (Member)

Thanks for chiming in with the inside info Mike! I’m certainly intrigued at the thought of returning to more spare original Broadway orchestrations...

Yavar

Thanks to Mr Matessimo !

About the orchestrations : although excellent as a whole, the last full recording conducted by M Tilson Thomas used a smaller staff than Bernstein more "operatic" version, I believe, without always managing to produce the pep or the jazz feeling of the film soundtrack, or stage. Dudamel not being focused on jazz or musicals, I also wonder how this new version will be tackled.