Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Feb 15, 2019 - 11:02 AM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

The ALIEN universe is the best thing cinematic history has ever created, and it's really an endless realm of possibilities.

That is some far out hyperbole

Posted:   Feb 15, 2019 - 11:15 AM   
 By:   jackfu   (Member)

I admire Alien and really enjoy Aliens. But they're at their core modern day 50's "B" movies. The subject matter doesn't merit "world building" and once they did that they fell apart.

Agreed as well. I hadn't thought of it that way, but Aliens blended the best of It! The Terror From Beyond Space, Them! and Alien and rocked!
I hated Alien3 at first, but I have mellowed over time. It did return to its roots with the focus on Ripley.

There could be some potential for a well-done series, but for me, I wouldn't want it to be like the last installments of prequels.

Posted:   Feb 15, 2019 - 11:44 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

No, it's my genuine feeling on the matter.

Posted:   Feb 15, 2019 - 11:50 AM   

No, it's my genuine feeling on the matter.

In cinematic history? like of all movies ever made, by anyone, like EVER?
I guess I would need to know what "universe" means, like serial stories, like Star Wars and Marvel and Star Trek?

Posted:   Feb 15, 2019 - 12:48 PM   

In cinematic history? like of all movies ever made, by anyone, like EVER?

Sure. The first two movies share my 2nd alltime favourite movie spot (after JURASSIC PARK), and as a whole, there is no other cinematic universe that has been so consistently good throughout all movies.

Posted:   Feb 15, 2019 - 1:44 PM   
 By:   Scott M (Oldsmith)   (Member)

The ALIEN universe is the best thing cinematic history has ever created.

In the over 100 years of cinema to consider, to state a sci-fi monster series like the Alien franchise is "the best thing in cinematic history" is truly unbelievable.

You've actually WATCHED films other than these, right?

None of the Alien films - absolutely none of them individually or as a whole - approach the heights of greatness of films like Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Psycho, The Brothers Karamazov, Spartacus, On the Waterfront, The King and I, The Maltese Falcon, Marty, Requiem for a Heavyweight, Jaws, Raging Bull, The Wizard of Oz, or All Quiet on the Western Front. Absolutely none of them. Nobody could ever prove otherwise and I seriously doubt the filmmakers would argue. The Alien films are popcorn movies for the horror/SF crowd. And I love them!

Perhaps saying it is your "favorite cinematic universe" would be more accurate.

Posted:   Feb 15, 2019 - 2:15 PM   

Nope. I think the two first movies are some of the best things that cinema has ever created, moreso than any of the titles you mention. I also think, as a whole, the film series has no competitor that even comes CLOSE. It's really the closest you'll get to perfect cinema, the way I see it -- below surface-level genre fare are layers upon layers of philosophical weight and audiovisual symbolism.

Posted:   Feb 15, 2019 - 4:12 PM   

Nope. I think the two first movies are some of the best things that cinema has ever created, moreso than any of the titles you mention. I also think, as a whole, the film series has no competitor that even comes CLOSE. It's really the closest you'll get to perfect cinema, the way I see it -- below surface-level genre fare are layers upon layers of philosophical weight and audiovisual symbolism.

To put it politely, you are a unique person Thor.
Wow

Posted:   Feb 16, 2019 - 6:47 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

To put it politely, you are a unique person Thor.
Wow

Posted:   Feb 16, 2019 - 7:02 AM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

The ALIEN universe is the best thing cinematic history has ever created.

This is, wholly, the stupidest thing I've ever read on here, and that includes posts by runningwithscissors