Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Mar 24, 2019 - 9:26 AM   
 By:   WagnerAlmighty   (Member)

Trying to get into Fellowship of the Ring and so far not doing well. I just can't jibe with Shore, and come away feeling completely unmoved and not in a big hurry to listen again.

All respect to fans. I both want and probably should like this score better. I had to play Bernard's Sisters to re-enervate my ears lol!

Awright, it's a lazy Sunday so I was determined to give it another try...to my surprise and delight I found some things to really like about it!

I might even delve further into this film composer's work smile

Posted:   Mar 24, 2019 - 9:36 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

SUBWAY is great, dtw. You consistently have the best taste here (outside myself, of course. big grin).

Posted:   Mar 24, 2019 - 9:41 AM   
 By:   Replicant006   (Member)

Trying to get into Fellowship of the Ring and so far not doing well. I just can't jibe with Shore, and come away feeling completely unmoved and not in a big hurry to listen again.

All respect to fans. I both want and probably should like this score better. I had to play Bernard's Sisters to re-enervate my ears lol!

Awright, it's a lazy Sunday so I was determined to give it another try...to my surprise and delight I found some things to really like about it!

WagnerAlmighty... so glad to hear that Fellowship clicked with you a little better upon another listen. I absolutely love Shore and there's so much nuance with his other works. It just takes a little patience sometimes to pick up on the subtleties of his more intimate, brooding scores. His themes and motifs don't jump out at you as, say, something from Goldsmith or Williams might (excepting his Hobbit and LOTR scores), but with a careful, concentated listening, there are many rewards to be found.

Posted:   Mar 24, 2019 - 9:49 AM   
 By:   dtw   (Member)

A&C: ooh yeah, the Monkey King 2 score's going a bit silly price-wise isn't it? There's someone on UK Ebay selling a used one for £18.50 if that feels reasonable to you.

WA: the LOTR scores do have their obsessives. I like them quite a bit, but not over and above plenty of other stuff. And for all the talk of how many themes/motifs there are supposed to be for various characters/situations, there are still the two main ones that dominate almost everything.

Thor: moved onto Elfman's Batman for now, but I'll be cueing up more Serra up later (Nikita).

Posted:   Mar 24, 2019 - 10:21 AM   
 By:   MD   (Member)

My dose of great action writting. Thank you Mr. Arnold and Mr.Dodd!

Posted:   Mar 24, 2019 - 11:20 AM   
 By:   murphmanz   (Member)

Thanks to MV for the low stock warning. What a wonderful score

Posted:   Mar 24, 2019 - 12:34 PM   

WA: the LOTR scores do have their obsessives. I like them quite a bit, but not over and above plenty of other stuff. And for all the talk of how many themes/motifs there are supposed to be for various characters/situations, there are still the two main ones that dominate almost everything.

WagnerAlmighty... so glad to hear that Fellowship clicked with you a little better upon another listen. I absolutely love Shore and there's so much nuance with his other works. It just takes a little patience sometimes to pick up on the subtleties of his more intimate, brooding scores. His themes and motifs don't jump out at you as, say, something from Goldsmith or Williams might (excepting his Hobbit and LOTR scores), but with a careful, concentated listening, there are many rewards to be found.

I get the feeling that the next listen will be the clicker, obviously an outstanding effort. Sometimes I think my overwhelming Golden and Silver age preference blinds me. And that at least partly because of the Wagner and Richard Strauss influence on the early film composers.

It was great having a bit of a communion over Shore here, actually liked it better than some of the topics lately lol!

I also gave Harry Potter's Chamber of Secrets another try (like I said, lazy and long Sunday). There's no way I put it near Prisoner, however there are still manifold delights here.

Breaking out Black Sunday now.

Posted:   Mar 24, 2019 - 12:39 PM   

Posted:   Mar 24, 2019 - 1:08 PM   

Posted:   Mar 24, 2019 - 2:34 PM   
 By:   TacktheCobbler   (Member)

Glad to hear Fellowship fared better with you on second listen, now I’m curious to hear your thoughts on the rest of the trilogy, the movies of which are favorites in my house (incidentally, are you listening to the Complete Recordings or the original soundtrack album, which uses an early version of the prologue, which I sometimes play before the movie as an overture). I’ve been meaning to listen to some of his non-Middle Earth scores myself, though I highly recommend Doug Adams’ book on the scores (which contains a CD with additional alternates).

NP: Discs 1-3 (The Film Tracks)

Posted:   Mar 24, 2019 - 2:55 PM   

Posted:   Mar 24, 2019 - 2:59 PM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

A&C: ooh yeah, the Monkey King 2 score's going a bit silly price-wise isn't it? There's someone on UK Ebay selling a used one for 18.50 if that feels reasonable to you.

Thor: moved onto Elfman's Batman for now, but I'll be cueing up more Serra up later (Nikita).

@ dtw : Thanks. I'm fortunate enough to have both Monkey Kings along with all but less than a handful of Christopher Young's works. It is a shame that it went OOP so quickly for those who missed out on it. However, the best way to obtain hard to find titles is still, at least for me, to play the medium to long game, because if you do keep searching, sooner or later your path will intersect with a reasonably priced copy.

Edit: £18.50 seems like a very reasonable price for such a great work! smile

Posted:   Mar 24, 2019 - 3:13 PM   

Yeah - I managed to get the two Monkey King discs when they were new, for around $20 each; jolly good they are too.

That long game is turning very long in terms of my wait for decently-priced copies of The ’Burbs and John Carter, though, LOL :-P

Posted:   Mar 24, 2019 - 4:11 PM   

Glad to hear Fellowship fared better with you on second listen, now I’m curious to hear your thoughts on the rest of the trilogy, the movies of which are favorites in my house (incidentally, are you listening to the Complete Recordings or the original soundtrack album, which uses an early version of the prologue, which I sometimes play before the movie as an overture). I’ve been meaning to listen to some of his non-Middle Earth scores myself, though I highly recommend Doug Adams’ book on the scores (which contains a CD with additional alternates).
]

I have the 2001 original album, though at this point the CRs are quite tempting. Will definitely give the others a try or five and let you know smile

Just got done listening to Deep Rising again. Not a JG classic, but as usual there's some fine music there.