Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Sep 10, 2019 - 7:50 AM   
 By:   Graham Watt   (Member)

With the possible exception of The Gambler, there doesn't seem to be anything that hasn't been previously available. Still no music from The Camp on Blood Island, The Headless Ghost or The Two-Headed Spy.

Curious that the new Chandos disc won't have any music from The Bedford Incident, Cone of Silence or The Lost Continent.

... but we'll be getting a little more music from Laurence Harvey's The Ceremony ... and I'm for that! smile

In a twist of fate which proves the existence of the supernatural, and ghosts and UFOs, I was toying with the idea of placing my order for the new Prawn-Cocktail release of Shurmann's scores. But after being reprimanded and ridiculed in Zarzoz's Speech to the Nation, I felt that I really needed to see if the old crackly acetate-stained CD linked to in this post still existed. After having read good things and bad things about the new Rumon Prawn-Cocktail compilation, I began to feel a little sorry that I'd never got the old "taped-straight-from-the-telly" CD when it came out sixty years ago. I like the contents of the old one better too, with longer pieces from the Schurmann scores I like most. Ah but on first glance the old CD seems to have disappeared.

Oh but who's that on the WhatsApp machine? Why if it ain't my old mate Mike! We both share a love of horror films, and he told me that he'd come across the old compilation when rummaging around inside his drawers for something to do at the weekend. He'd bought it way back for HORRORS OF THE BLACK MUSEUM and KONGA, but more as a souvenir than anything else. Then he listened to it and decided he didn't actually like the music as such. So he's sending it to me.

I don't know if I'll be put off by the dry snap, crackle and pop of the Rice Krispies version, but the end result is that the Prawn-Cocktail's off the menu for now.

Posted:   Sep 10, 2019 - 10:34 AM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

I'm glad people love this series and Mr. Gamba. That is what makes horse racing. I rarely play any of them - I'm always happy to see a new one, always buy it, am usually eh about it and file it away. I especially didn't enjoy the Herrmann disc, but different strokes. I enjoy the Gerhardt discs - those sound like film music to me, not scratchy "old" film music, whatever that means. Chandos was hardly the first label to do these things, you know.

My actual favorite of the Chandos recordings is the very first William Alwyn disc conducted by Richard Hickox - that is fantastic.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2019 - 4:07 PM   
 By:   Ray Worley   (Member)

I'm glad people love this series and Mr. Gamba. That is what makes horse racing. I rarely play any of them - I'm always happy to see a new one, always buy it, am usually eh about it and file it away. I especially didn't enjoy the Herrmann disc, but different strokes. I enjoy the Gerhardt discs - those sound like film music to me, not scratchy "old" film music, whatever that means. Chandos was hardly the first label to do these things, you know.

My actual favorite of the Chandos recordings is the very first William Alwyn disc conducted by Richard Hickox - that is fantastic.

I pretty much agree with all this with maybe a few differences on specific pieces. I get these CDs and will continue to get them but really wish they sounded more like the Gerhardt recordings. While some bits are quite wonderful, there are some that are just disappointing. Without going back to older discs and just discussing the new Schurmann, DR SYN and THE CEREMONY are well-performed and great to have. HORRORS OF THE BLACK MUSEUM and THE LONG ARM not so much. LONG ARM has a fantastic, dynamic Main Title but that wasn't chosen and the performance of the piece that was included is....meh. All the discs, IMHO, suffer from poor dynamic range and that stuffy "Classical" sound rather than sounding like film music, as Bruce said.

But to be more positive...I'm glad somebody is recording this rare film music and I will continue to purchase them. Every disc has something to recommend it...except maybe the Herrmann.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2019 - 5:03 PM   
 By:   Last Child   (Member)

I don't know if I'll be put off by the dry snap, crackle and pop of the Rice Krispies version, but the end result is that the Prawn-Cocktail's off the menu for now.

We are all mere prawns...I recall suspecting the cd was defective since not everyone said they heard the pops.

Posted:   Sep 11, 2019 - 6:00 PM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

Every disc has something to recommend it...except maybe the Herrmann.

For the most part, I tend to agree with these two very positive reviews of the Chandos/Herrmann CD:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2010/Apr10/HERRMANN_CHAN10577.htm