Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jul 12, 2019 - 7:19 AM   
 By:   Last Child   (Member)

I'm with you, but if the library music is to be included, a single set could outscale even the Star Trek 15 CD set. Because it's an anthology show, the composers might be more of a selling point factor with Twilight Zone, the works being more distinctive to them than the series. The situation with Zone is a little different from a show with more singular world, like Trek and Lost in Space. It lends to the music not needing to be presented chronologically by episode.

Not sure if you're saying that including library music would mean more CD's or higher price than the TREK box. It might not amount to as much as you think. Also, the pre-existing "library" is not generic, but by known composers - Herrmann, Steiner, Goldsmith, etc. so it would already have the name recognition ("a selling point") you mentioned.
Aside from that, alot of episodes simply re-used music from scored episodes (like Star Trek did), so the scored episodes would probably make up the majority of a box set.

Posted:   Jul 12, 2019 - 7:47 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

I'd prefer a separate release of "Man on the Beach" (paired with another score, since I'm assuming it's too short by itself) rather than tack on one or two cues onto a set of scoring from another show.

Right now it would be the only way to hear the entire score.

Posted:   Jul 12, 2019 - 8:33 AM   
 By:   Scott M (Oldsmith)   (Member)

I have to be honest, I don't think I'd be up for a 'complete' box set.

Sometimes, that's too much.

I get that. But i feel it's only too much if you don't have the connection with the music that other people might. For example, the Star Trek TNG Ron Jones set is too much for me, but the Star Trek TOS Box Set wasn't because that's been music I've been connected with my whole life. Or the Lost in Space set was too much because my distaste for comedy music made the bulk of the middle section too hard to enjoy.

On the other hand, I would rather have "too much" than a highlights album that excludes my favorite cues. The Star Trek Enterprise and DS9 sets are a huge frustration in how they don't include cues (some are genuine fan favorites) I would sell my dead grandmother for. That's how it goes though: too much/not enough/just right. It all depends on what you want, I guess.

I'd love a complete Twilight Zone box. Also Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. big grin

Posted:   Jul 12, 2019 - 11:50 AM   
 By:   JeffM   (Member)

^ What ScottM said.

Also, I'd be in for a set. I might not be able to buy it right away, but if it were around long enough for me to save up for it, I could handle it.

Posted:   Jul 12, 2019 - 5:09 PM   
 By:   ZapBrannigan   (Member)

I get that. But i feel it's only too much if you don't have the connection with the music that other people might. For example, the Star Trek TNG Ron Jones set is too much for me, but the Star Trek TOS Box Set wasn't because that's been music I've been connected with my whole life. Or the Lost in Space set was too much because my distaste for comedy music made the bulk of the middle section too hard to enjoy.

On the other hand, I would rather have "too much" than a highlights album that excludes my favorite cues. The Star Trek Enterprise and DS9 sets are a huge frustration in how they don't include cues (some are genuine fan favorites) I would sell my dead grandmother for. That's how it goes though: too much/not enough/just right. It all depends on what you want, I guess.

I'd love a complete Twilight Zone box. Also Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. big grin

Another nice thing about complete box sets is that they give the world an everlasting "safety copy" before the next warehouse fire destroys the studio master tapes. And there is always another warehouse fire coming if you just wait a few years.

Posted:   Jul 13, 2019 - 1:23 AM   
 By:   Lokutus   (Member)

YES!

So many CBS All Access series get released, why not this one?

Posted:   Jul 13, 2019 - 6:10 AM   
 By:   OnyaBirri   (Member)

Another nice thing about complete box sets is that they give the world an everlasting "safety copy" before the next warehouse fire destroys the studio master tapes. And there is always another warehouse fire coming if you just wait a few years.

Exactly, because we can imagine all the millions rioting in the streets if the Six Million Dollar Man master tapes were lost!

Posted:   Jul 13, 2019 - 10:24 AM   
 By:   LordDalek   (Member)

In this case, if there was a vault fire, I'd be more concerned about what else UCLA has in its archives.

Posted:   Jul 13, 2019 - 11:21 AM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

I wish UCLA had Jim Morrison's student film ?

Posted:   Jul 13, 2019 - 12:01 PM   
 By:   Last Child   (Member)

Not to mention all the digital copies that will go up in virtual smoke if there's an EMP. Then again, you need your physical copies to be a mile outside the blast area.

Posted:   Jul 13, 2019 - 12:06 PM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

Nice photo!

Btw is that John Blankenship in the photo?
wink

Posted:   Jul 13, 2019 - 4:51 PM   
 By:   ZapBrannigan   (Member)

Exactly, because we can imagine all the millions rioting in the streets if the Six Million Dollar Man master tapes were lost!

I may have alluded to that danger in a prior thread, yes. It just makes sense to get The Six Million Dollar Man on CD, if only for the sake of domestic tranquility.