Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   May 26, 2024 - 8:10 AM   
 By:   DavidCoscina   (Member)

I guess it's just a matter of different strokes.... even when I was a 5 year old kid and watched Apes, I thought the music was interesting and cool. The modernism in the music was especially well suited to subject matter.

I just re-watched Robocop 2 last night and it ages better than I had expected. Still inconsistent but Rosenman's score was actually well suited to the moral ambiguity of the storyline. But his use of atonality wasn't applied for shock value or horrific sequences. It underscored Murphy's continual existential journey.

Similarly, Goldsmith's POTA is not just littered with dissonant effects for shock value- there are many sequences like "The Searchers" with its gentle bi tonality in the strings that create an atmosphere of an alien world.

Posted:   May 26, 2024 - 8:23 AM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

I guess it's just a matter of different strokes.... even when I was a 5 year old kid and watched Apes, I thought the music was interesting and cool. The modernism in the music was especially well suited to subject matter.

I just re-watched Robocop 2 last night and it ages better than I had expected. Still inconsistent but Rosenman's score was actually well suited to the moral ambiguity of the storyline. But his use of atonality wasn't applied for shock value or horrific sequences. It underscored Murphy's continual existential journey.

Similarly, Goldsmith's POTA is not just littered with dissonant effects for shock value- there are many sequences like "The Searchers" with its gentle bi tonality in the strings that create an atmosphere of an alien world.

Agreed. I was 8 when the film premiered on CBS and for days afterwards, the strains of that awesome composition were stuck in my head.

I saw the Robocop 2 in a theater in the summer of 1990 and I was massively annoyed by the seemingly bizarre Rosenman score. However, slowly but surely, decade upon decade, I came to truly appreciate the music, the machine gun intensity march AND the weird chanting.

Posted:   May 26, 2024 - 10:35 AM   

Agreed. I was 8 when the film premiered on CBS and for days afterwards, the strains of that awesome composition were stuck in my head.

I saw the Robocop 2 in a theater in the summer of 1990 and I was massively annoyed by the seemingly bizarre Rosenman score. However, slowly but surely, decade upon decade, I came to truly appreciate the music, the machine gun intensity march AND the weird chanting.

We should probably take this to another thread but aside from the shrill vocals “Robocop” I really liked Rosenman’s central motive and its harmony which reminds me of a 50s police theme. Martial and authoritative. Bold and with some jazz harmonic extensions. Really cool theme and he uses it a lot throughout the film.

Posted:   May 26, 2024 - 12:42 PM   
 By:   davefg   (Member)

https://www.filmtracks.com/scoreboard/forum.cgi?read=133733

Thanks for the link, I see Yavar responded in his usual way...

Posted:   May 26, 2024 - 1:18 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Yup, I should have just ignored his dig. Wasn’t worth posting at that forum again for the first time in two decades. But sometimes I’m just in a bad mood.

Yavar

Posted:   May 26, 2024 - 1:35 PM   

Yup, I should have just ignored his dig. Wasn’t worth posting at that forum again for the first time in two decades. But sometimes I’m just in a bad mood.

Yavar

Is there ado at work.

Posted:   May 26, 2024 - 3:15 PM   
 By:   TheAvenger   (Member)

Yavar

“I clash with folks on the FSM board only very occasionally“ has to be the funniest thing i’ve read in a long time! smile

Posted:   May 26, 2024 - 4:26 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Well, I post here quite a few times a week… when’s the last time? Months ago? Half a year? I’m sure you’ll be able to remind me. smile

I took pains not to antagonize Cody or Robertmro in the latest Tiomkin thread — only positive vibes! wink

But in all frankness, what percentage of my posts in this forum would you consider to be combative in tone?

Yavar

Posted:   May 27, 2024 - 12:55 AM   
 By:   TheAvenger   (Member)

Well, I post here quite a few times a week… when’s the last time? Months ago? Half a year? I’m sure you’ll be able to remind me. smile

I took pains not to antagonize Cody or Robertmro in the latest Tiomkin thread — only positive vibes! wink

But in all frankness, what percentage of my posts in this forum would you consider to be combative in tone?

Yavar

Jeez, it was a joke dude.

Posted:   May 27, 2024 - 3:56 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

Yavar

You rest your case!

Posted:   May 27, 2024 - 7:27 AM   
 By:   johnbijl   (Member)

Wow! I know some Christian’s reviews at Filmtracks are controversial… but never expected to see Goldsmith’s classic score trashed like this…
https://www.filmtracks.com/titles/planet_apes68.html

I read this yesterday and it is just a bad review. Not because of the opinion on the score or the rating. If you don't like atonal music - and Christian clearly doesn't, as seen in his reviews for Dragonslayer, Alien 3 etc. - you can come to this conclusion. But the way he claims universal validity for this opinion, without acknowledging that this is considered a masterpiece by most fans and critics alike, with long analysis written about it, is just baffling. If this had been written in the late 60s, I wouldn't mind. But not taking account of the love and legacy this score has garnered over the years this review really feels like an "inappropriate parody" itself.

Indeed. It’s a bad review. It’s – to put it bluntly – not even a review, it’s a column.

Reviewers should ascend from their opinion, context and sentiments from the time in which their subject was made. This column doesn’t do any of that. Clemmensen repeats his opinion and gives some personal anecdote — typical of a column. That the moviemaking (and composorotal style) belongs to the sixties, well: you can’t blame a movie from THAT SAME PERIOD for this. Criticising it now is an anachronism.

it might serve as a fun (depending on personal) read but it’s definitely doesn’t function as a review.

Posted:   May 27, 2024 - 8:54 AM   

Yavar

Well said!

Posted:   May 27, 2024 - 9:42 AM   

I read the Clemmensen review earlier. It seems obvious that he means to be very provocative from the outset. I disagree of course, but he is good for a few chuckles now and then.

Posted:   May 27, 2024 - 9:47 AM   

I read the Clemmensen review earlier. It seems obvious that he means to be very provocative from the outset. I disagree of course, but he is good for a few chuckles now and then.

It's an opinion nothing more nothing less. I take it with a grain of salt as should anyone who enjoys or respects POTA.

Posted:   May 27, 2024 - 10:11 AM   

It's an opinion nothing more nothing less. I take it with a grain of salt as should anyone who enjoys or respects POTA.

Agreed.