Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 16, 2021 - 6:27 AM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

Now available in any country where it's already Friday

https://music.apple.com/au/album/dune-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1583651332
https://music.apple.com/nz/album/dune-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1583651332
etc

01 Dream Of Arrakis 3:08
02 Herald Of The Change 5:01
03 Bene Gesserit 3:54
04 Gom Jabbar 2:00
05 The One 2:30
06 Leaving Caladan 1:55
07 Arrakeen 2:16
08 Ripples In The Sand 5:14
09 Visions Of Chani 4:27
10 Night On Arrakis 5:03
11 Armada 5:09
12 Burning Palms 4:04
13 Stranded 0:58
14 Blood For Blood 2:29
15 The Fall 2:32
16 Holy War 4:20
17 Sanctuary 1:50
18 Premonition 3:30
19 Ornithopter 1:54
20 Sandstorm 2:35
21 Stillsuits 5:31
22 My Road Leads Into The Desert 3:52

Total Album Length -- 74:12

Posted:   Sep 16, 2021 - 6:58 AM   
 By:   Aenae   (Member)

I just heard the score and didn't like it. Just not interesting enough for me and it bored me.

We are apparently supposed to prefer this over a brilliant, freewheelingly imaginative orchestral score by Elliot Goldenthal, who would have been perfect for this.

This score will probably get praised to heaven as is usually the case with these kinds of big Zimmer scores...

Posted:   Sep 16, 2021 - 7:35 AM   
 By:   spook   (Member)

I’m halfway through it and not loving it but I remember my scathing reaction to the BLADE RUNNER 2049 which I ended up really liking so I’ll give this a bit of time.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2021 - 7:55 AM   
 By:   Totoro   (Member)

I just listened to it and was positively surprised.

After that awful sketchbook music release I was expecting the worse.

But is not that bad.

Musically is a big pile of nothing. It is basically just sound design with the ocasional "arabian-ethinic" riffs, crying woman vocals and horns of doom that are Zimmer's trademark.

Some cues sounds almost exactly as Graeme Revell's music for the DUNE miniseries which is shameful.

But in the end this is all positive in the Zimmer way of "creating" scores and maybe works in the context of the movie (or at least won't ruin it like he does most of the time when he tries to be epic and melodic).

Since DUNE is my favorite book I will give it the benefit of the doubt.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2021 - 8:01 AM   
 By:   WillGoldNewtonBarryGrusin   (Member)

I’m halfway through it and not loving it but I remember my scathing reaction to the BLADE RUNNER 2049 which I ended up really liking so I’ll give this a bit of time.

Same here. But my first impression is: when will I finally stop falling for Zimmers PR-statements?

And I´m very worried now about his work for NTTD.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2021 - 8:16 AM   
 By:   BackToTheFutureFan   (Member)

But is not that bad.

Musically is a big pile of nothing. It is basically just sound design with the ocasional "arabian-ethinic" riffs, crying woman vocals and horns of doom that are Zimmer's trademark.

Some cues sounds almost exactly as Graeme Revell's music for the DUNE miniseries which is shameful.

But in the end this is all positive in the Zimmer way of "creating" scores and maybe works in the context of the movie (or at least won't ruin it like he does most of the time when he tries to be epic and melodic).

Totoro’s account was hacked. The response was too thoughtful.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2021 - 8:41 AM   
 By:   ghost of 82   (Member)

I'm tempted to give this a try (curiosity always gets the better of me) but I actually think the third release (the artbook tie-in) will be the best of the bunch, so I'm waiting for that.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2021 - 8:48 AM   

But is not that bad.

Or maybe you just suffer from Extreme Prejudice...

Posted:   Sep 16, 2021 - 9:13 AM   
 By:   BackToTheFutureFan   (Member)

But is not that bad.

I was pleasantly surprised to read a post like that from you after some of your previous comments on Zimmer’s work. I guess Something’s Gotta Give.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2021 - 9:22 AM   

I was pleasantly surprised to read a post like that from you after some of your previous comments on Zimmer’s work. I guess Something’s Gotta Give.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2021 - 1:59 PM   
 By:   nuts_score   (Member)

One of my favorite knee-slappers about this board is all of the hypothetical mind games and mental gymnastics people play with themselves over scores: "If only this other composer would've done the score, *then* I would listen to it! Then it would be brilliant! Just because I imagined it to be so!" Please don't stop being so narrow-minded, FSM. Keep on keeping on.

Posted:   Sep 16, 2021 - 4:26 PM   
 By:   foobsz   (Member)

Soundscape: What do you get when you combine the harmonics, techniques and instrumentation of
- Angels & Demons
- The DaVinci Code
- Inception
- Interstellar

DUNE....

Not impressed.