Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 17, 2019 - 8:39 PM   
 By:   DavidinBerkeley   (Member)

This movie took a beating, critically:

But lots of jazz-ers have re-recorded the song:

Johnny Mandel might "own" this thread!

Posted:   Sep 18, 2019 - 9:07 AM   
 By:   W. David Lichty [Lorien]   (Member)

Whitney Houston had a monster hit with Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You" from The Bodyguard. The song still plays on pop radio to this day.

The film was a big box office hit but still got terrible reviews as I recall.

And Dolly had an even better version in The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, which may also qualify as a turkey. Maybe. Perhaps a Royal Palm turkey, one of the least turkeyey turkeys.

Posted:   Sep 18, 2019 - 11:47 PM   
 By:   John Schuermann   (Member)

Fits all the criteria - so timeless it has its own Wikipedia entry, it's a turkey film in its purest form (even the song is about a turkey!), and I had to endure it.

So...

Now it's your turn.

Posted:   Sep 21, 2019 - 12:47 AM   
 By:   Ag^Janus   (Member)

Was North To Alaska a turkey?

Posted:   Sep 21, 2019 - 5:36 PM   

Fits all the criteria - so timeless it has its own Wikipedia entry, it's a turkey film in its purest form (even the song is about a turkey!), and I had to endure it.

So...

Now it's your turn.

This only counts if the OP counts songs written well-before the film. Apparently, "Turkey in the Straw" is a folk song.

Posted:   Sep 21, 2019 - 5:53 PM   
 By:   Zoragoth   (Member)

Do forgettable musicals count as "turkey"?

DINNER AT EIGHT, 1935, gave us "I'm in the Mood for Love"

Do you mean DINNER AT EIGHT, 1933, David O Selznick's sparkling and hilarious adaptation of the Edna Ferber play with two of the Barrymores and Jean Harlow? Not forgettable and not forgotten - highly regarded to this day.

Posted:   Sep 21, 2019 - 5:59 PM   
 By:   Rozsaphile   (Member)

The more obvious choices are 2 from Michel Legrand. "What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life?" from The Happy Ending . . .

I wouldn't call The Happy Ending a turkey. It was ahead of its time in some ways: a serious examination of a woman's discontent in an outwardly successful but confining marriage. Jean Simmons, enacting some of her own experiences with writer-director-husband Richard Brooks, was deservedly Oscar nominated. Agree that Brooks -- a better director than writer -- did author some cringe worthy dialogue.

The song played over the opening credit montage, in which the middle-aged John Forsythe and Simmons enacted (not very convincingly) their collegiate courtship years. I thought the music rather gooey and was surprised years later to learn that it had become a pop standard.

Posted:   Sep 21, 2019 - 6:12 PM   
 By:   henry   (Member)

SAY YOU SAY ME from WHITE NIGHTS.

Posted:   Sep 21, 2019 - 6:15 PM   
 By:   henry   (Member)

While MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME is one of my all-time favorite movies, I know others might call it a turkey, WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER HERO is an enduring song.smile

Posted:   Sep 22, 2019 - 12:22 PM   
 By:   John Schuermann   (Member)

So...

Now it's your turn.

This only counts if the OP counts songs written well-before the film. Apparently, "Turkey in the Straw" is a folk song.

Yeah, it's a joke. As in, it's another way to interpret the OPs thread title.

I was writing about the experience of enduring a song from a turkey film. smile

Posted:   Sep 23, 2019 - 7:24 PM   

DINNER AT EIGHT, 1933, David O Selznick's sparkling and hilarious adaptation of the Edna Ferber play with two of the Barrymores and Jean Harlow? Not forgettable and not forgotten - highly regarded to this day.

And not a musical. So it was a typo. It's actually EVERY NIGHT AT EIGHT.

Posted:   Sep 23, 2019 - 7:26 PM   

Wow, the definitions for "enduring" in this thread are all over the map.

Posted:   Oct 1, 2019 - 6:36 PM   

Hard to Get (1938), a musical that I doubt I'd have heard of it it wasn't for one of its songs.

"You Must Have Been a Beautiful Baby" has been re-recorded many, many times.

Posted:   Jan 4, 2020 - 5:11 PM   

ROSE OF THE RANCHO (1936), that historically-important, artistically-dazzling, unforgettable film, taught in all the cinema schools. big grin Anybody heard of it?

If not, you've probably heard "If I Should Lose You" by Leo Robin and Ralph Rainger which is from the score, and still played by the jazz-ers.

Posted:   Jan 4, 2020 - 5:23 PM   
 By:   OnyaBirri   (Member)

ROSE OF THE RANCHO (1936), that historically-important, artistically-dazzling, unforgettable film, taught in all the cinema schools. big grin Anybody heard of it?

If not, you've probably heard "If I Should Lose You" by Leo Robin and Ralph Rainger which is from the score, and still played by the jazz-ers.

Don't forget the George Shearing Latin version!

Posted:   Jan 4, 2020 - 5:42 PM   
 By:   Replicant006   (Member)

Not so much a turkey...mixed reviews from critics but a box office success: Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, with the hit song (Everything I Do) I Do It For You.

Posted:   Jan 7, 2020 - 7:26 PM   

Not so much a turkey...mixed reviews from critics but a box office success: Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, with the hit song (Everything I Do) I Do It For You.

"Hit," yes. "Enduring"? Meh.

Posted:   Feb 13, 2020 - 6:12 PM   

ONE MINUTE TO ZERO (1952)? Anybody remember it? Anybody???

Then how about "When I Fall in Love", the song Young and Heyman wrote for it?