Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Oct 7, 2019 - 9:54 AM   
 By:   BornOfAJackal   (Member)

That suite from The Lost Weekend on the first Polydor/DG album is maybe my favorite film music recording ever.

Tragic & scary then redemption all in the same suite. It would figure it was written for one of Billy Wilder's movies.

Posted:   Oct 7, 2019 - 10:17 AM   
 By:   George Komar   (Member)

I recall at least one of these was issued on Dolby reel-to-reel tape.

Yes, it was the first release, under the DDG banner:

It had a monumental bass boost and was one of the best Dolbyized reel-to-reel releases ever produced by Stereotape, its manufacturer.

Posted:   Oct 7, 2019 - 12:31 PM   
 By:   roadshowfan   (Member)

So, yes, using pristine lps for these releases will definitely work.

Roger F. said the problem was rights issues.

Is anyone in a position to explain more fully what these rights issues could possibly be? And why they would be any more complex than, say, the whole Gerhardt Classic film Scores series, or Herrmann's Phase 4 recordings?

I did wonder if maybe UMG don't actually own the Rozsa recordings outright and they were perhaps mainly funded by a private individual (or company) who has disappeared into the ether and therefore true ownership can't be verified?

Whatever the reason, it's a scandal and an outrage (to paraphrase Oscar Hammerstein II) that these wonderful recordings have never been issued on CD!

Posted:   Oct 7, 2019 - 2:03 PM   
 By:   Rozsaphile   (Member)

That suite from The Lost Weekend on the first Polydor/DG album is maybe my favorite film music recording ever.

Tragic & scary then redemption all in the same suite. It would figure it was written for one of Billy Wilder's movies.

That one elicited comments from both Gerhardt and Rozsa. The two suites share some music in common, namely, the final statement of the love theme. Gerhardt, attending the Polydor session, said on hearing Rozsa's take, "Oh, so that's how it's supposed to go!" To which Rozsa, ever the sensible gentleman, responded (roughly), "No, Chuck, you do it your way. That's fine with me." Too bad many of us fans cannot manage similar acceptance of diversity. I recall the RCA as lush and lingering (almost Korngoldian), whereas Rozsa was more linear and hard-driven.

Posted:   Oct 8, 2019 - 4:23 PM   
 By:   OnyaBirri   (Member)

So does this mean that they know where the tapes are, or do missing tapes add yet another layer of complication beyond the rights issue?

Posted:   Oct 8, 2019 - 4:24 PM   

I would add that the Lost Weekend suite on the CD with Double Indemnity is among a favorite of mine.

Posted:   Oct 10, 2019 - 12:13 PM   
 By:   BornOfAJackal   (Member)

OnyaBirri: I would add that the Lost Weekend suite on the CD with Double Indemnity is among a favorite of mine.

Are you referring to the Koch International Classics release with James Sedares conducting the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra?

Posted:   Oct 10, 2019 - 2:29 PM   

OnyaBirri: I would add that the Lost Weekend suite on the CD with Double Indemnity is among a favorite of mine.

Are you referring to the Koch International Classics release with James Sedares conducting the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra?

I think that's the one. White cover with Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck?

Posted:   Oct 10, 2019 - 2:46 PM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

So does this mean that they know where the tapes are, or do missing tapes add yet another layer of complication beyond the rights issue?

Hopefully Roger F. can tell us more.