Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Dec 4, 2019 - 11:40 AM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

Only WILLIAMS is truly popular.*
Jerry is popular too, but not on long ago, obscure titles. Folks here generally buy Goldsmith music they are familiar with- like AFO.

I don't think that's actually true. I think if we are talking about *obscure* works by either composer, Goldsmith has the more rabid hardcore fans who will buy anything with his name on it. I'm willing to bet that a Williams random TV title will not sell as well as a Goldsmith random TV title. I'm willing to even bet that a Williams 60s comedy score will not sell as well as a Goldsmith 60s comedy score. But I doubt either of us has any data to back up their theory. smile

Yavar

I'm thinking about how few people responded to the THRILLER threads...frown

Posted:   Dec 4, 2019 - 12:55 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

I might have to do a Goldsmith radio scores thread one day...

If you are interested let me know your email address and I'll share the Goldsmith Odyssey's complete radio collection with you. Here's a list of what we've got, most in higher quality audio than can be found online (and a few of these aren't online anywhere):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oEoMMpjbLNU86M2okPF2tS5a3EV3LvdbUYNjoWT6kEM/edit?usp=sharing

Some of his radio scores aren't much to write home about, but several of them are quite excellent, with 1489 Words being IMO one of his greatest works!

I'm thinking about how few people responded to the THRILLER threads...frown

Well those are a surprisingly rich and varied bunch of scores to digest. I would just remind you that Tadlow's first volume of Thriller sold above expectations, which is why a Volume 2 even happened!

Yavar

Posted:   Dec 4, 2019 - 1:44 PM   
 By:   PFK   (Member)

Naw. With multiple Williams AND Goldsmith scores for the show (to say nothing of several other popular composers), no WAY it only sells 100 copies. These composers carry show releases like this.

Yavar

I would certainly purchase a Wagon Train box set, and the same goes for Rawhide, Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel, Bonanza, Riverboat, The Big Valley, classic western TV shows all!

I agree Niall. All of those series would make terrific box sets. I'm surprised this has not been done. I think LLL's THE WILD WILD WEST sold out quickly. The TV westerns you mentioned had terrific scores. Maybe from LLL? Intrada? Kritzerland? SAE? Quartet? Music Box? etc.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2019 - 2:02 PM   

The title themes for many of these shows were quite good - Moross and Rose esp. had a knack for memorable main themes.
But, I cant remember any underscore!

fyi
Herrmann was tracked in a lot of these shows, ya know wink

Posted:   Dec 4, 2019 - 2:34 PM   
 By:   Niall from Ireland   (Member)

Naw. With multiple Williams AND Goldsmith scores for the show (to say nothing of several other popular composers), no WAY it only sells 100 copies. These composers carry show releases like this.

Yavar

I would certainly purchase a Wagon Train box set, and the same goes for Rawhide, Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel, Bonanza, Riverboat, The Big Valley, classic western TV shows all!

I agree Niall. All of those series would make terrific box sets. I'm surprised this has not been done. I think LLL's THE WILD WILD WEST sold out quickly. The TV westerns you mentioned had terrific scores. Maybe from LLL? Intrada? Kritzerland? SAE? Quartet? Music Box? etc.

Yavar, the expertise, 'can do' attitude, and sheer tenacity of the wonderful people connected with all those great labels you mention never ceases to amaze me! After the appearance of the recent Max Steiner set and now the fabulous Paramount Westerns release I am starting to really believe that anything is possible! I am always hopeful, so fingers crossed that future circumstances will enable the various labels to keep on going great things!

Posted:   Dec 4, 2019 - 2:41 PM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

And, to too my own horn, I have threads where I've covered "Gunsmoke" (sans Klatzkin efforts) and all credited scores on "Rawhide". And picture place holders for future western TV series threads...

Posted:   Dec 4, 2019 - 8:31 PM   

Yavar

Yavar, the expertise, 'can do' attitude, and sheer tenacity of the wonderful people connected with all those great labels you mention never ceases to amaze me! After the appearance of the recent Max Steiner set and now the fabulous Paramount Westerns release I am starting to really believe that anything is possible! I am always hopeful, so fingers crossed that future circumstances will enable the various labels to keep on going great things!

Are these shows shown in Ireland? Popular?