Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jan 26, 2020 - 2:30 PM   
 By:   Preston Neal Jones   (Member)

Ron,

It was such a great happy surprise to see you before the concert. I'm sorry I couldn't reconnect with you afterward. If you're still in town and not yet back in the garden state. pease give me a call. "I'm in the book."

PNJ

Posted:   Jan 26, 2020 - 2:41 PM   
 By:   Preston Neal Jones   (Member)

Henry,

A day later, I'm still basking in the magic and the emotions stirred by the concert, and I expect I will continue to be for a long time to come. And in that, I'm obviously not alone. You have infinite reason to be proud of what those wonderful musicians accomplished because you had brought them all together. I'd say, I wish Mr. B. had been there to hear it, but then, maybe he was, because we certainly all felt his spirit in that auditorium.

PNJ

Posted:   Jan 26, 2020 - 5:34 PM   
 By:   bagby   (Member)

It really was a fabulous event. The performances were great. My only remotely-negative comment would be the choice to have the lady singer do 'True Grit' instead of the man. She performed it well; just so used to hearing the male voice for that--and he had a tremendously good voice--and it seemed less touching than it could have been.

Also, I had no idea Bruce Kimmel (kritzerland) is hilarious. I mean, hysterically hilarious...who also has a more than serviceable singing voice even at 72.

Kudos to all and many thanks for a wonderful afternoon of music.

Posted:   Jan 27, 2020 - 8:02 AM   
 By:   Morricone   (Member)

It really was a fabulous event. The performances were great. My only remotely-negative comment would be the choice to have the lady singer do 'True Grit' instead of the man. She performed it well; just so used to hearing the male voice for that--and he had a tremendously good voice--and it seemed less touching than it could have been.

That was my fault. Let me say at the top as much as I loved Glen Campbell ("Wichita Lineman" and "Gentle On my mind" are sublime) I really didn't care for his rendition of TRUE GRIT. This probably was influenced by the fact Glen Campbell wasn't much of an actor and the lone improvement the remake did was cast Matt Damon as La Boeuf. There was zero chemistry between Campbell and Kim Darby so the real love affair in the film was between Rooster and Mattie. Which is why a more mature singer should have done the song like Tex Ritter or Johnny Cash. I had in mind to use Robert Yacko until Maegan took a crack at it and it hit me this could be Mattie talking to her younger self. It made me hear the song anew after hearing Campbell's rendition way too often. So for me I did the right thing.

Posted:   Jan 27, 2020 - 9:05 AM   
 By:   bagby   (Member)

That was my fault. Let me say at the top as much as I loved Glen Campbell ("Wichita Lineman" and "Gentle On my mind" are sublime) I really didn't care for his rendition of TRUE GRIT. This probably was influenced by the fact Glen Campbell wasn't much of an actor and the lone improvement the remake did was cast Matt Damon as La Boeuf. There was zero chemistry between Campbell and Kim Darby so the real love affair in the film was between Rooster and Mattie. Which is why a more mature singer should have done the song like Tex Ritter or Johnny Cash. I had in mind to use Robert Yacko until Maegan took a crack at it and it hit me this could be Mattie talking to her younger self. It made me hear the song anew after hearing Campbell's rendition way too often. So for me I did the right thing.

And I really didn't mean it as a criticism. It's as much an indictment of my own expectations. Her performance on that was more than acceptable and perfectly lovely. The real treat was Meagan's performance of the song from 'The Silencers.' She was a good sport about it and performed it in the spirit of the 60s. Your explanation makes perfect sense and after a few more hearings--particularly if something similar to your thoughts was expressed in liner notes--I can see it completely.

Also, the 'So Cal Chorale' was outstanding. Particularly the male voices on 'The Great Escape.' The 18 musicians on the largest numbers--'Hallelujah Trail' and the like--created a sound so much bigger than the space, and yet the close miking and the chamber music stylings of 'To Kill A Mockingbird' was heartbreakingly beautiful. My eyes were moist during most of it but when the violin and cello came in toward the end with the flute, I just lost it. Had a hard time not just sobbing outright. Damn you, Henry. :-)