Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Mar 10, 2020 - 6:53 PM   
 By:   DavidinBerkeley   (Member)

David in Berkeley, I can confirm that Hans J. Salter was Raksin's guest on two occasions.

James, could you email me? Please use my screen name here, at Yahoo. Thanks.

Posted:   Jun 2, 2020 - 5:08 PM   

I know he interviewed a number of notable film composers about film music and also played excerpts from their film scores. I just listened to an episode on Hugo Friedhofer which I found here: https://hugofriedhofer.dudaone.com/interview-with-hugo-friedhofer - fascinating!

Listening to this program (thanks for posting the link!), I hear something in Friedhofer's voice. It's a nasal tone that makes me think he was using oxygen. I wouldn't be surprised, since he was a long-time smoker.

Posted:   Oct 12, 2020 - 6:27 AM   
 By:   James MacMillan   (Member)

David in Berkeley, just re-reading your list of guests on Raksin's programme, notice that another one you're missing is Aaron Copland, no less, who did a single episode.

Posted:   Oct 15, 2020 - 5:48 PM   

David in Berkeley, just re-reading your list of guests on Raksin's programme, notice that another one you're missing is Aaron Copland, no less, who did a single episode.

I can only possibly barely remember Raksin introducing a re-recording of one of THE QUIET CITY. I don't remember any of the interview, which is too bad.

Posted:   Oct 20, 2020 - 4:56 PM   

I can only possibly barely remember Raksin introducing a re-recording of one of THE QUIET CITY. I don't remember any of the interview, which is too bad.

Or maybe there was no interview. Very possible.

Posted:   Oct 21, 2020 - 1:19 AM   
 By:   James MacMillan   (Member)

Oh, there definitely was one. Re-reading Raksin's autobiography on Kindle, he mentions it and that's what reminded me. I have it on tape, somewhere - wish I could find it! The phrase I remember most is the pair of them having a chuckle about, "If it's in the music, it's in the man..."

James.

Posted:   Nov 20, 2020 - 5:45 PM   

Oh, there definitely was one. Re-reading Raksin's autobiography on Kindle, he mentions it and that's what reminded me. I have it on tape, somewhere - wish I could find it! The phrase I remember most is the pair of them having a chuckle about, "If it's in the music, it's in the man..."

James.

Really, truly? I can often recall the person's voice, but I'm not recalling Copland's. Perhaps he didn't sound as interesting as Kaper and Rozsa and such.

Posted:   Nov 20, 2020 - 5:46 PM   

I'm surprised I don't recall a Grusin. He did know him, but maybe not at the time he recorded the series.