Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jan 17, 2020 - 4:55 AM   
 By:   Coco314   (Member)

I don't agree with Silvestri's Avengers: Endgame being snubbed. It was far from a bad score. In fact, I thought it was the most engaging of his Avengers scores. Probably the most sentimental MCU score as well. I was very surprised that both Infinity War and Endgame were front runners for Oscar nominations in the original score category. Both weren't anything particularly special. And current Silvestri has written more compelling attention worthy scores outside of the MCU (e.g.Flight,The Walk, and Welcome To Marwen). There's two main cues that people gush over from Endgame which is Portals (the rendition of the Avengers theme in this cue is a more grand version of the theme from Assemble in The Avengers)and Forge from Infinity War) and The Real Hero (which is basically a variation of his main theme from Cast Away). Both cues take place during two pivotal moments in the movie. I don't really hear people bring up any other moments in the score except those two moments, which have become iconic. I'm not trying to knock the score but I don't think it's worthy of an Oscar or a nomination for that matter. I also don't feel both cues make the score automatically worthy of a nomination or win. IMHO of course.

Quite agree with this. It's not a bad score, but I usually start directly from the "Portal" cue to the end and it's quite enough. And as said two standout moments (themselves more or less derived from previous material), as good as they are, do not make an award worthy score. Overall, I thought it was a step up from "Infinity War" though, which was much less deserving than "Welcome to Marwen", but also attached to a much more critically and financially successful movie.
It's fun that the shortlisting is back though, to take the pulse of the music branch tastes.

Posted:   Jan 24, 2020 - 9:28 AM   
 By:   Peter Greenhill   (Member)

I'd like to see Newman win for 1917 which is, imo, a wonderful score. However, I suspect identity politics may see Joker through or sentiment give Williams another Oscar.

Posted:   Jan 24, 2020 - 11:36 PM   
 By:   lonzoe1   (Member)

Best Original Song Nominees

Should've swapped Randy Newman's I Can't Let You Throw Yourself Away from Toy Story 4 with The Ballad of the Lonesome Cowboy (either version performed by Randy Newman or Chris Stapleton) also from Toy Story 4, imo.

The Ballad of the Lonesome Cowboy (Soundtrack Version) - Randy Newman

Chris Stapleton - The Ballad of the Lonesome Cowboy (From "Toy Story 4")