Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Feb 20, 2020 - 10:12 AM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

Correction from Hans: “ No, number two would be “Avalon” by Randy Newman...”

Posted:   Feb 20, 2020 - 10:25 AM   
 By:   William R.   (Member)

Love for The Mission definitely spans many generations. Even the famously ego-centric (see above!) Rosenman admitted that it deserved the Oscar, even though it was up against Rosenman's TreK IV score. Zimmer also called it a favorite and admitted to ripping it off on several occasions.

Carter Burwell has cited Forbidden Planet as one of his favorites.

Posted:   Feb 20, 2020 - 10:26 AM   
 By:   lacoq   (Member)

In Bernard Herrmann's famous 1972 Sight and Sound interview, he cited THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV (1931) by Karol Rathaus, IVAN THE TERRIBLE by Prokofiev, and several scores by Vaughan Williams and Walton. Of the latter he preferred MAJOR BARBARA and ESCAPE ME NEVER to the Shakespearean scores. He also expressed great admiration for Alfred Newman.

Because Newman was probably the only conductor Herrmann trusted to touch his music, and Herrmann also spoke highly of Franz Waxman's score for "Taras Bulba" and Vic Mizzy's score for "The Night Walker".

Newman also greatly admired and recognized Herrmann's unique talent. And therefore kept him working, unlike Newman's brother Lionel who wasn’t keen on the man....

Posted:   Feb 20, 2020 - 10:46 AM   
 By:   Linae   (Member)

Even the famously ego-centric (see above!) Rosenman admitted that it deserved the Oscar, even though it was up against Rosenman's TreK IV score.

Do you remember the source for this? I am just curious what he said exactly about it, his exact words - I would like to read it.

Posted:   Feb 20, 2020 - 10:48 AM   
 By:   Linae   (Member)

Also, I think Carter Burwell has named Psycho one of his favourites in the past too.

Jóhann Jóhannsson named Herrmann's Vertigo his #1 favourite film score of all time in an interview.

Keep them coming, I would like to know more of composer's favourite scores.

Posted:   Feb 21, 2020 - 5:22 AM   
 By:   William R.   (Member)

Do you remember the source for this? I am just curious what he said exactly about it, his exact words - I would like to read it.

I don't remember, it could have been someone on these boards.