Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jun 3, 2020 - 4:23 AM   
 By:   JGouse0498   (Member)

That 36 minute LP programme of this score was a marvel of 70s engineering.
The way Goldsmith sliced and diced the various highlights together, turning the 75 minute score into a 36 minute work of art is sheer genius.
Don't get me wrong, the missing near 40 minutes contains some wonderful writing and incorporations of the thematic material, but for my 'on the go' purposes, I will be retaining the original LP programme and creating a bonus section, culled from my highlights of the extra/missing stuff.
I especially love how he distilled the 7-8 minutes of the opening sequence (which contains action music with lots of stops and starts for tension and suspense) into a killer 3'30 Main Title that opens things up with the best of bangs.

Thanks for this, Kev. I've got this on the way from LLL and I may use your post as a roadmap as I whittle.

Same here. Mine is awaiting USPS pick-up, so hopefully I'll have it in the first half of next week. I might have to intermix the two presentations. According to the interview that Thor posted, "Exact Instructions" might be better in its LP version than its new seven-minute "Film Version".

Posted:   Sep 14, 2020 - 12:38 PM   
 By:   Max Bellochio   (Member)

I'm am surprised nobody has commented on the MQA listening experience. I am listening to this now in full MQA 24bit/176khz glory. Big improvement over listening to the same CD at 16/44khz. There is some depth and sonic detail/clarity that I can't pick up on quite as clearly as the traditional cd listening experience. All those naysayer articles that I've read out there that stress it's a "lossy" format should just hear it. It sounds wonderful to my ears.

Kudos to LLL for testing this format out on a release that at first glance might raise an odd look, but it works well. It's probably an expensive process to license (I have no idea), but count my vote as a "yay" if it is an added incentive to buy the release.

Ver
MaxB

Posted:   Sep 14, 2020 - 12:55 PM   
 By:   johnonymous86   (Member)

Not having heard any of the other releases for reference (or even having seen the film), I can't comment on how this version improves sound quality but I will say it sounds superior to all of the other scores that I have that were recorded in the same time period. Some of the brass can sound borderline hot but overall it's a very good to great sounding release.