Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Apr 9, 2020 - 5:52 PM   
 By:   Moonlit   (Member)

Just the one's that have the opening theme and are the original. Not one individual composer but various. Any specific titles you can recommend? I'll listen to all recommends, but especially the older shows.

Posted:   Apr 9, 2020 - 9:51 PM   
 By:   Baz   (Member)

Hi. Mission Impossible by Lalo Schifrin, Randall and Hopkirk by Edwin Astley and Shroud for a Nightingale by Richard Harvey. There are so many...

Posted:   Apr 9, 2020 - 10:04 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

This two disc set released last year is pretty great:
https://lalalandrecords.com/quinn-martin-collection-the-volume-1-cop-and-detective-series-limited-edition-2-cd-set/

Yavar

Posted:   Apr 10, 2020 - 1:46 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

So you're looking for great TV themes, not necessarily soundtracks?

We've done a number of threads on this over the years, check the search engine.

For me, there is one that towers above all the rest, and that is TWIN PEAKS -- both in relation to theme and score otherwise.

Posted:   Apr 10, 2020 - 4:43 AM   

So you're looking for great TV themes, not necessarily soundtracks?

We've done a number of threads on this over the years, check the search engine.

For me, there is one that towers above all the rest, and that is TWIN PEAKS -- both in relation to theme and score otherwise.

One I remember had tv themes from the 50s and 60s up to the 90s. Say Leave It To Beaver, Welcome Back Kotter to Law & Order etc. That type of collection.

Posted:   Apr 10, 2020 - 5:04 AM   
 By:   (Member)   (Member)

Just the one's that have the opening theme and are the original. Not one individual composer but various. Any specific titles you can recommend? I'll listen to all recommends, but especially the older shows.

TOP FIVE
The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
The Wild Wild West
Mission: Impossible
Mannix
Hawaii Five-O

Posted:   Apr 10, 2020 - 5:21 AM   
 By:   Laurent78   (Member)

I watched recently a British TV series set in the 18th Century entitled DICK TURPIN. The score itself has never been released but the galloping main theme has been rerecorded by his composer Denis King and is available on this great sampler:

https://www.amazon.fr/Black-Beauty-Other-Themes-Denis/dp/B00UHVI1V2

Enjoy
Laurent

Posted:   Apr 10, 2020 - 5:34 AM   
 By:   mgh   (Member)

Williams: Checkmate
Bernstein: Staccato
Goldsmith: Dr. Kildare
Goldsmith: Cain's !00

Posted:   Apr 10, 2020 - 6:39 AM   
 By:   Graham Watt   (Member)

Moonlit - I get the impression you're looking for CD compilations of Main Themes, is that right? If so, check the availability of the "Television's Greatest Hits" (?) series of releases. I think they were repackaged several times throughout the years. I got the one titled "In Living Color" because it covered some great themes from the '70s. Of course, with so many short themes one after the other, there are plenty which don't interest me at all, but I just skip them.

Is this the kind of thing you're asking about?

Added a bit later - Rereading your second post, yes, I think those themes were on one of the incarnations I mentioned. I can't help you more right now, but you'll find info doing a Google search.

Posted:   Apr 10, 2020 - 7:10 AM   
 By:   villagardens553   (Member)

The Persuaders -- John Barry It somehow manages to sound stately and modern at the same time, which personifies the two characters. John Leach played cymbalom and kantele and Barry added synthesizers.

Jeeves and Wooster -- Anne Dudley Fully-formed witty trad jazzy piece with violin and muted trumpets featured.

Posted:   Apr 10, 2020 - 7:12 AM   
 By:   JohnnyG   (Member)

I think you're looking for this TVT Records collection from 2005 - All-Time Top 100 TV Themes:

Posted:   Apr 10, 2020 - 7:26 AM   
 By:   joan hue   (Member)

We have a whole separate thread dedicated to Morricone's THE MEN FROM SHILOH. Great TV theme, and you can hear it in the topic below.

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=108040&forumID=1&archive=0

Posted:   Apr 10, 2020 - 7:39 AM   
 By:   petek66   (Member)

I don't think there's ever been a proper collection of TV Theme songs. The Television's Greatest Hits included a lot of re-recordings. The All Time Top 100 are original, but so original that they sound taped off a TV speaker- some monaural with dialogue and sound effects. And the latter includes a truly bizarre version of Dynasty that is missing the lead trumpet line.

Posted:   Apr 10, 2020 - 7:51 AM   
 By:   Rick15   (Member)

And where is The Scarecrow and Mrs King?

One of the best TV themes ever.

Posted:   Apr 10, 2020 - 11:46 AM   

Moonlit - I get the impression you're looking for CD compilations of Main Themes, is that right? If so, check the availability of the "Television's Greatest Hits" (?) series of releases. I think they were repackaged several times throughout the years. I got the one titled "In Living Color" because it covered some great themes from the '70s. Of course, with so many short themes one after the other, there are plenty which don't interest me at all, but I just skip them.

Is this the kind of thing you're asking about?

Added a bit later - Rereading your second post, yes, I think those themes were on one of the incarnations I mentioned. I can't help you more right now, but you'll find info doing a Google search.

Yes! Compilations. I started here first before the search cause it seemed like the place to start.

Posted:   Apr 11, 2020 - 4:40 AM   
 By:   Charlie Chan   (Member)

Hi Folks

I am not usually a fan of cover versions but an exception to this rule is:
4 America vol Two.

The recordings include superb versions of: Land of The Giants, Mork and Mindy, The Munsters, Hogan's Heroes, Johnny Stacatto and last but not least Jerry Goldsmith's theme from the Waltons. Which is on the album twice!

These are all conducted by Daniel Caine.

To recommend it even further the release was supervised by James Fitzpatrick.

Take care and stay well!

CC

Posted:   Apr 11, 2020 - 4:48 AM   
 By:   Graham Watt   (Member)

I could be wrong, but the one CD I have from the "Television's Greatest Hits" (Volume 5 - "In Living Color" - TVT Records) appears to be ALL original soundtrack recordings. I'll never be sure, simply because I'll never listen to most of the first half again ("Wacky Races", Hong Kong Phooey", "Superchicken"...), but the ones I love, for example JUDD FOR THE DEFENSE, THE BIONIC WOMAN, KOLCHAK: THE NIGHT STALKER etc) sound original to me.

///EDITED A BIT LATER///

Attention Charlie Chan! Attention Charlie Chan! (The member here, not the real-life detective) - Wasn't that "Daniel Caine" person really the late Derek (SPACE:1999) Wadsworth?

Posted:   Apr 11, 2020 - 6:07 AM   
 By:   paulhickling   (Member)

Growing up in the UK we had something of a tradition of tv themes released as single records. For these releases they would usually be the original soundtrack type in that they were the original artists and everything, but they would always have a middle section that made it a full track/tune. And in this way were eligible to enter the pop charts, which happened on occasion. In the early 70s, Eye Level, which was the theme to the UK's Netherlands set detective series Van der Valk was a massive hit. It made no 1 for four weeks with 20 weeks in the top 50.

Many UK tv themes were released this way. The great John Barry's The Persuaders and most of the Classic Series Doctor Who theme arrangements, various Gerry Anderson series, the list goes on. How much was this done in the States? I rarely see full recordings of the themes for the American shows included on soundtrack releases.

In the 80s we had two releases of BBC Space Themes released, and when it came to Star Trek (always shown on BBC) it had to be a cover. A different one on each release.

What gives?

Posted:   Apr 11, 2020 - 6:55 AM   
 By:   CindyLover   (Member)

Posted:   Apr 11, 2020 - 7:38 AM   
 By:   paulhickling   (Member)

Skippy! Boy does that theme bring back happy memories. I remember Liza Goddard being in that when she was quite young and tasty,as Clancy. Most kids I know tried to rip leaves of bushes like Sonny but never managed to make it whistle like he does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hByob-5pPEs