Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jan 21, 2021 - 5:22 PM   
 By:   BryonDavis   (Member)

disc 1. track 24: hot pursuit...from second 52 -55

On the sessions, this track plays continuously, on beat, with no dropout. That's disc 2, track 30. In the film, there is a music edit (most audible in the bass) at 50:00;21, where a brief, dramatic swell overlay was seemingly added in post at ~50:02;23. The sound of Hot Pursuit is audible up to 50:06;00, dropping during the overlay, then there is a pause until 50:11;11, when the Hot Pursuit music comes back with an acute fade up into a bass note. It's a pause for effect created in the edit.

Since the music editor probably didn't say, "Bobby, run this music snippet down to the archives and tell 'em to store it with the Looney Tunes score," it probably wasn't available for this presentation. The more I look at this track, the more it seems like it may have been the best available way to for the film score presentation to handle a weird situation created in post.

It should've been in the bonus section. I'll never understand why some album producers want to include the film mix of a cue in the main body of the score when it was created editorially.

Sometimes that is all we have or else there wouldn't be a deluxe edition of many releases. Studios don't always have it all, the producers, engineers and composers tend to have the music we use for many of these releases. In the end, we dig for sources, get what we will get and plan around that in terms of needing to mix, master and/or even edit the final music you hear on a release.

Posted:   Jan 23, 2021 - 6:33 PM   
 By:   patrick_runkle   (Member)

Never gave this score a fair shake when it came out originally so I am happy to revisit it. I really appreciate the care that went into this release and I think it sounds great. I really like the alternate take of Car Trouble, which I think is the highlight of the score. Also the Debney story in the liner notes about Goldsmith cracking a James Horner joke made my day!

Posted:   Jan 23, 2021 - 6:56 PM   
 By:   ClaytonMG   (Member)

I never heard this score before this deluxe version and I have to say, I can't stop listening to it. It's pure Goldsmith fun and I absolutely love this release. I'm glad they included everything they did along with the original album. Zero complaints from me. Such a fun listen.