Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   May 7, 2021 - 2:09 PM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

What isn't in doubt is a very ropey orchestral performance and some typical 80s JG silly synth-phonies.

That sums it up well.

Posted:   May 7, 2021 - 2:28 PM   
 By:   Spymaster   (Member)

I don't think a mis-printed spine would cause any 'rights issues' John.
My guess is it's maybe more to do with the old Masters Film Music/Robert Townson connection.

I agree, Kev. I just hope they use the opportunity to correct the other error at the same time...

Posted:   May 7, 2021 - 2:45 PM   
 By:   michaelbean510   (Member)

Didn't someone say that there was a printing issue on the spine. Probably the delay is due to that and printing new inlay covers ?

Yes, one of the spines has a printing error. The name "Goldsmith" has been replaced by the name "Lionheart". I emailed Varese about it but didn't get a reply.

Could it be they are correcting it?

Lionheart has written some of my favorite scores, not the least of which is Explorers!

I don't see VS going through the expense and embarrassment of pausing a release over a spine error, considering some of the more egregious typo examples in our collections.

More likely the extra tracks, but I would think that the legalities of those tracks fall under the same contract regardless of their source. Don't studios still own the rights to all aspects their films even if they don't posses the original materials (negatives/music tracks/etc.)? It would be a shame if they were dropped from the program, and a commentary on the ridiculous tangle of copyright law.

EDIT: Oh yes, someone mentioned artwork--artwork permissions are another sticky situation which can hold up releases for months. One would think the studio would have full control over it but apparently don't. Too many cooks in the kitchen I say.

Posted:   May 7, 2021 - 3:12 PM   
 By:   Jurassic T. Park   (Member)

This is an interesting release given the increase in sales price by $5 for "track research" or whatever and then now the sudden pause on shipments.

Also someone's going to yell at me for asking but what was the reason this was scored in Hungary?