Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Nov 9, 2021 - 9:34 PM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

The ever so greatly fantastic David Hurwitz reviews Naxos' Box Set of Malcolm Arnold's Symphonies:

I find him repulsive and actually offensive. And he raves about every Naxos release because - they send him freebies and allow him to play the albums on YouTube. The Naxos symphonies are nowhere near Arnold's own performances on Conifer and Lyrita.

Posted:   Nov 10, 2021 - 4:22 AM   
 By:   Sehnsuchtshafen   (Member)

The ever so greatly fantastic David Hurwitz reviews Naxos' Box Set of Malcolm Arnold's Symphonies:

I find him repulsive and actually offensive. And he raves about every Naxos release because - they send him freebies and allow him to play the albums on YouTube. The Naxos symphonies are nowhere near Arnold's own performances on Conifer and Lyrita.

I've been aware of your repulsion before.

Well, once I got over his screetchy voice and odd looks, I find he has many interesting things to say. At least, in my opinion. He appears to be really knowlegeable about his field he's into. He doesn't talk around the bushes and calls out rubish and junk when he sees it. -- And, as an American, he really knows how to correctly pronounce foreign language names and work titles (as far as I can tell) -- which is truly a very rare thing.

Of course, you're right about his often very positive reviews of Naxos stuff. Maybe Hurwitz gets some sort of kickbacks there. Who knows?

He also has a recent agreement with Chandos. Let's see what that may cause.

Back to Arnold:

This man caused so much misery in other people's life - and his own - it's hard to believe he managed to write so many great works.

Though, the hesitancy to celebrate his birthday is quite understandable.

People, watch the 2004 documentary linked above. Its author did an incredible job on his subject, Malcolm Arnold, when he was still alive.

Posted:   Nov 10, 2021 - 8:19 AM   
 By:   MusicUnite   (Member)

Back to Arnold:

This man caused so much misery in other people's life - and his own - it's hard to believe he managed to write so many great works.

Though, the hesitancy to celebrate his birthday is quite understandable.

People, watch the 2004 documentary linked above. Its author did an incredible job on his subject, Malcolm Arnold, when he was still alive.

I'm afraid I can't agree. Tony Palmer has done some wonderful music docs but he has his share of duds, including this film. The bulk of this doc contains footage that comes from a 1991 BBC film about Arnold which Palmer had nothing to do with. Sadly, this 1991 film is not on DVD.

Among my complaints, Palmer hires an actor to pretend to be the voice Arnold. Why not simply use a narrator? And the invasion of Arnold's privacy at the close of the doc where we see a very ill Arnold lying in a hospital bed. Did we really need to see that?

Jay

Posted:   Nov 10, 2021 - 10:33 AM   
 By:   Sehnsuchtshafen   (Member)

I'm afraid I can't agree. Tony Palmer has done some wonderful music docs but he has his share of duds, including this film. The bulk of this doc contains footage that comes from a 1991 BBC film about Arnold which Palmer had nothing to do with. Sadly, this 1991 film is not on DVD.

Among my complaints, Palmer hires an actor to pretend to be the voice Arnold. Why not simply use a narrator? And the invasion of Arnold's privacy at the close of the doc where we see a very ill Arnold lying in a hospital bed. Did we really need to see that?

Jay

Well, I thought it was obvious that Palmer had used archival footage from other sources.
At first I also wondered who the narrator was because he was trying to imitate Arnold's diction and older speaking voice - was it Arnold or not? But after a while I realised that it couldn't be Arnold himself. Too different.

I'm not that touchy about the sequence you complain about, the very ailing old man in a hospital/nursing home room. I certainly found it disturbing to watch. But at the same time, very fascinating. You could get a sense of what it was like to be around him as he raged with his family members in the earlier days.

Do you see any other things in that documetary that you think are flawed?