Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Apr 29, 2022 - 12:39 PM   
 By:   villagardens553   (Member)

The other day I was looking through my concert journal and was surprised--because I had forgotten it--that I had seen the World Premiere of Williams' first Violin Concerto, January 29th, 1981 at Powell Symphony Hall in St. Louis. I don't have the ticket stub, but I suspect that Leonard Slatkin conducted.

Posted:   May 1, 2022 - 1:22 AM   
 By:   Dadid L   (Member)

You're right, of course :

https://www.leonardslatkin.com/world-premieres/

Posted:   May 1, 2022 - 7:33 AM   
 By:   villagardens553   (Member)

thanks for posting the list. One of my regrets was that I missed the 1972 World Premiere of Goldsmith's Music for Orchestra. I was in high school and had been listening to Goldsmith, Barry, Schifrin, Quincy, and so on since the mid-sixties, but I was unaware of the Goldsmith concert--until I accidentally heard him interviewed on a local radio program on KMOX while in town.

On the subject of world premieres, the St. Louis Symphony continues to program many such works every season with Stephane Deneve leading the orchestra.

Posted:   May 12, 2022 - 12:03 PM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

Anne-Sophie Mutter & John Williams on their collaboration (Episode 1)

John Williams’ Violin Concerto No. 2 was written for and recorded by the venerated composer’s friend and frequent collaborator Anne-Sophie Mutter. Her impassioned world premiere performance was given with the Boston Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Williams, in Tanglewood. In these series of conversations with John Williams and Anne-Sophie Mutter, the artists talk about the story behind and their thoughts about the Violin Concerto No. 2 as well as their inspiring collaboration with each other and with the Boston Symphony Orchestra. In Part 1, both artists go into the details of how all of this came about – from a few bars which Williams composed for Anne-Sophie Mutter through a middle movement of a concerto until a full concerto for the violin.

“I can only think of this piece as being about Anne-Sophie. I took my inspiration and energy directly from this great artist herself.” – John Williams

Posted:   May 24, 2022 - 7:23 AM   
 By:   EdG   (Member)

Anne-Sophie Mutter & John Williams on composing (Episode 2)

John Williams’ Violin Concerto No. 2 was written for and recorded by the venerated composer’s friend and frequent collaborator Anne-Sophie Mutter. Her impassioned world premiere performance was given with the Boston Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Williams, in Tanglewood. In these series of conversations with John Williams and Anne-Sophie Mutter, the artists talk about the story behind and their thoughts about the Violin Concerto No. 2 as well as their inspiring collaboration with each other and with the Boston Symphony Orchestra. In Part 2, John Williams talks about how different it is to write an absolute piece for concert rather than composing for a movie. Anne-Sophie Mutter explains her first impression when she saw the score of the Violin Concerto No. 2.

“I can only think of this piece as being about Anne-Sophie. I took my inspiration and energy directly from this great artist herself.” – John Williams