Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Apr 2, 2022 - 3:31 PM   
 By:   TacktheCobbler   (Member)

Roger Feigelson writes:

We won't have anything coming this Tuesday, but we have a few things happening on the 19th. Here's the scoop.

1. Just in time for Miklos Rozsas' 115th birthday is a 2-CD set of Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid:

2. Then just in time to celebrate Laurence Rosenthal for no reason in particular other than he always deserves it is a reissue of his brilliant score to Becket. Unbelievable that such a classic has not had a commercial release on CD before.

3. For those patiently (and I mean patiently) waiting for upgraded Julius Caesar discs, we'll have those in stock. Will be working on Ivanhoe and Extreme Prejudice next now that we've localized the issue causing those clicks.

4. Sand Pebbles will be back in stock. For those astute observers, everything will look the same except the volume number. Since the album was initially released so long ago we're in a better position to address some anomalies in the recording we couldn't previously. So there's wow removed among other things. Nothing to rush out an repurchase unless you were bothered by it. Perfection is a journey, not a destination.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8888

Posted:   Apr 2, 2022 - 3:47 PM   
 By:   Bill in Portland Maine   (Member)

Wow.

Dead Men is a holy grail I never thought I'd see.

Thank you!

-

Posted:   Apr 2, 2022 - 3:47 PM   
 By:   Bill in Portland Maine   (Member)

dp

Posted:   Apr 2, 2022 - 3:54 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Wow. So excited for the Rozsa and the Rosenthal… don’t those two names just have such a beautiful ring together?

And a new and improved Sand Pebbles (the old edition is a dozen years old now)?? Sign me up.

Good news about the fixes too.

Yavar

Posted:   Apr 2, 2022 - 5:03 PM   
 By:   villagardens553   (Member)

I'll definitely get Becket, a worthy Oscar-nominated score from 64.

Posted:   Apr 2, 2022 - 5:22 PM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

2. Then just in time to celebrate Laurence Rosenthal for no reason in particular other than he always deserves it is a reissue of his brilliant score to Becket. Unbelievable that such a classic has not had a commercial release on CD before.

I have the "composer-produced promotional" Becket CD on Windermere label (1997). Douglass Fake is listed as producer along with Rosenthal.
Hopefully there will be worthwhile sound improvements. The Windermere had a rather sharp, unattractive sound, and the original LP too if I remember correctly.

Posted:   Apr 2, 2022 - 5:25 PM   
 By:   Nicholas_DW   (Member)

I still find it odd that the original album for The Sand Pebbles wasn't included on the Intrada release.

Posted:   Apr 2, 2022 - 5:35 PM   

Will be working on Ivanhoe and Extreme Prejudice next now that we've localized the issue causing those clicks.

Were the clicks on disc 1 of Extreme Prejudice? I've only listened to the second disc so far and didn't hear anything there.

Posted:   Apr 2, 2022 - 5:41 PM   
 By:   TacktheCobbler   (Member)

Basil, I have asked Roger about the materials used for this reissue over at the Intrada forum. Hopefully, we won’t have to wait too long for an answer.

Nicholas, perhaps they didn’t find it necessary to include the full program as there wasn’t much different from the score as presented on the album (plus, the liner notes also provide a playlist program for the OST).

Posted:   Apr 2, 2022 - 5:52 PM   
 By:   Tom Servo   (Member)

Good batch! I missed out on Intrada's edition of Sand Pebbles and so this is great news that it will be revisited and back in print. Plus, more Rosenthal!

Posted:   Apr 2, 2022 - 10:55 PM   
 By:   barryfan   (Member)

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid is a buy for me!

Posted:   Apr 3, 2022 - 12:54 AM   
 By:   BornOfAJackal   (Member)

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid: Tremendous, beautiful, long overdue. That flute-led cue for the first "cleaning woman" aftermath is a career highlight of Mr. Rozsa's.

Becket: Just watched this last Christmas as part of a personal O'Toole video festival. The film's got it's drawbacks, but the score isn't one of them. Also great news.

Posted:   Apr 3, 2022 - 1:18 AM   
 By:   jenkwombat   (Member)

Looking forward to "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" and "Sand Pebbles".

Posted:   Apr 3, 2022 - 2:02 AM   
 By:   batman&robin   (Member)

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid: Tremendous, beautiful, long overdue.

Absolutely! So happy to finally be able to get this. And with proper artwork and as a 2-CD set, wow!!

Roger, is there still time for you to add some alternate front cover art on the Becket CD? This looks so... dated..

Posted:   Apr 3, 2022 - 4:24 AM   

Nicholas, perhaps they didn’t find it necessary to include the full program as there wasn’t much different from the score as presented on the album (plus, the liner notes also provide a playlist program for the OST).

That never stopped them before. Then again, look at the expansion of Silverado.

Posted:   Apr 3, 2022 - 10:44 AM   
 By:   Niall from Ireland   (Member)

Roger Feigelson writes:

We won't have anything coming this Tuesday, but we have a few things happening on the 19th. Here's the scoop.

1. Just in time for Miklos Rozsas' 115th birthday is a 2-CD set of Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid:

3. For those patiently (and I mean patiently) waiting for upgraded Julius Caesar discs, we'll have those in stock. Will be working on Ivanhoe and Extreme Prejudice next now that we've localized the issue causing those clicks.

4. Sand Pebbles will be back in stock. For those astute observers, everything will look the same except the volume number. Since the album was initially released so long ago we're in a better position to address some anomalies in the recording we couldn't previously. So there's wow removed among other things. Nothing to rush out an repurchase unless you were bothered by it. Perfection is a journey, not a destination.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8888

Wonderful! I will be ordering both of these. Well done Intrada!

Posted:   Apr 3, 2022 - 1:53 PM   
 By:   filmusicnow   (Member)

Too bad nobody considered a kickstarter campaign for a complete World Premiere Recording of "Becket" because in my opinion this should have won the Oscar for Best Score (with Dimitri Tiomkin's score for "The Fall Of The Roman Empire" a close second).

Posted:   Apr 3, 2022 - 2:02 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

How much longer is the complete score for Becket, out of curiosity?

Yavar

Posted:   Apr 3, 2022 - 7:27 PM   
 By:   Saul Pincus   (Member)

A batch that's all flavours of awesome. Thanks Intrada!

Posted:   Apr 4, 2022 - 5:29 AM   
 By:   chriss   (Member)

So The Sand Pebbles will not be part of LLL's ongoing Goldsmith at Fox-series.