Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   May 20, 2022 - 10:41 AM   
 By:   BTTFFan   (Member)

ORDERED!

Only 1,500 copies? Get it while you can.

Posted:   May 20, 2022 - 11:05 AM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

John Powell says:

"Digital Streaming on August 5."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdyZkA1N3pd/

Posted:   May 20, 2022 - 11:33 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

Not familiar with the OST will have to give it a listen.

Posted:   May 20, 2022 - 11:52 AM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

adjective: tumescent
1. swollen or becoming swollen, especially as a response to sexual arousal.
2. (especially of language or literary style) pompous or pretentious.

Which meaning was Mr Powell going for?! eek

Oh, those cheeky Brits!

Posted:   May 20, 2022 - 12:01 PM   
 By:   SpaceMind   (Member)

I love this score. As mentioned above, only 1500!

Posted:   May 20, 2022 - 12:30 PM   
 By:   moolik   (Member)

Booooooouring

Posted:   May 20, 2022 - 5:21 PM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

I have to buy any score that has an alternate of "with bassoon".
(Well maybe not, but it's amusing, especially in light of the fact I remember a post years back someone was complaining about the orchestration of modern scores and talking about how there would never be a solo bassoon as a for instance)

Posted:   May 20, 2022 - 6:06 PM   
 By:   Jurassic T. Park   (Member)

(Well maybe not, but it's amusing, especially in light of the fact I remember a post years back someone was complaining about the orchestration of modern scores and talking about how there would never be a solo bassoon as a for instance)

Honestly those are the only parts that I'm curious about with this score - I find the original to be a bit of a Remote Control electronic mess, but I'd be really curious to see if there was originally a more orchestral bent to the music.

Posted:   May 20, 2022 - 6:29 PM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

I find the original to be a bit of a Remote Control electronic mess, but I'd be really curious to see if there was originally a more orchestral bent to the music.

I believe Powell said in an interview that when Carter Burwell's score was rejected, there was not a lot of money left for a big, orchestral score, so it was conceived to be more percussive and feature solo instruments.

I'm often not a fan of this technique, but I like this one – somehow, Powell gives it soul.

Posted:   May 20, 2022 - 6:36 PM   
 By:   digitalfreaknyc   (Member)

Well, that's certainly an interesting way to program a title...

Still getting it.

Posted:   May 21, 2022 - 7:54 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

Honestly those are the only parts that I'm curious about with this score - I find the original to be a bit of a Remote Control electronic mess, but I'd be really curious to see if there was originally a more orchestral bent to the music.

I'm a third of the way thru a listen on YT. I love Powell's animated and fantasy scores but this isn't my cup of tea. Much to droning for my tastes. Hope it sells well for them though.

Posted:   May 21, 2022 - 3:33 PM   
 By:   Ian J.   (Member)

I'd like to see expansions of more of Powell's animated scores, the likes of 'Mars Needs Moms', 'Horton Hears A Who', etc, but I get the feeling that there just isn't likely to be enough interest in them due to the movies themselves not being notable enough.

Posted:   May 21, 2022 - 4:18 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Solium for what it's worth I think you'll like the sequel score(s) a lot better. Much more orchestral, and more thematic.

Yavar

Posted:   May 23, 2022 - 6:33 AM   
 By:   spielboy   (Member)

TRACKLIST
1. The Bourne Identity Main Titles 4:23
2. The Bourne Identity Original Opening 4:25

4. Bourne On Land 1:45
5. Bourne On Land (With Bassoon) 1:41
6. Bourne On Land (Alternate Version) 1:55

I ll never understand how people (and the composer himself!) like that for a listening sequence

Posted:   May 23, 2022 - 9:18 AM   
 By:   OneBuckFilms   (Member)

TRACKLIST
1. The Bourne Identity Main Titles 4:23
2. The Bourne Identity Original Opening 4:25

4. Bourne On Land 1:45
5. Bourne On Land (With Bassoon) 1:41
6. Bourne On Land (Alternate Version) 1:55

I ll never understand how people (and the composer himself!) like that for a listening sequence

In this particular case, I think it is to showcase the evolution of the score.

More an illustrative exercise than a pure listening experience.

He probably knows that many fans like to see how things changed as a way of exploring the score.

Posted:   May 23, 2022 - 5:11 PM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

Depends how different they actually are. In the HTTYD scores, the both of them have an alternate opening, which is different enough it doesn't feel samey.

Posted:   May 24, 2022 - 8:45 AM   
 By:   Warlok   (Member)

Ordered. Here's hoping for Bourne Supremacy next.

Posted:   May 24, 2022 - 5:22 PM   
 By:   jamesluckard   (Member)

I'd like to see expansions of more of Powell's animated scores, the likes of 'Mars Needs Moms', 'Horton Hears A Who', etc, but I get the feeling that there just isn't likely to be enough interest in them due to the movies themselves not being notable enough.

Mars Needs Moms never even got a CD for the commercial album, sadly.