Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Aug 8, 2022 - 5:48 AM   
 By:   KeV McG   (Member)

Me too.
I saw his credit at the very end of the End Credits and wondered when it had been used during the film.
Although I do find myself stopping paying any attention to scores these days while watching 90% of films (something I NEVER DID during my earlier days of film watching/score listening).

I guess there's a limit to how much ambience and droning one can bother tuning in for.
I'm just so grateful I had my time when I did.

Sign of the times and all that frown

Posted:   Aug 8, 2022 - 6:59 AM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

Me too.
I saw his credit at the very end of the End Credits and wondered when it had been used during the film.
Although I do find myself stopping paying any attention to scores these days while watching 90% of films (something I NEVER DID during my earlier days of film watching/score listening).

I guess there's a limit to how much ambience and droning one can bother tuning in for.

Yeah, right there with you. Watching the movie, I just kept mentally adding in Silvestri's original score into the key scenes. Even without using Silvestri's melodies, which are decidedly out these days, his action rhythms could have easily been deployed and still fit in with the current culture (of bad film music).

Posted:   Aug 8, 2022 - 7:16 AM   
 By:   DavidCoscina   (Member)

Me too.

Yeah, right there with you. Watching the movie, I just kept mentally adding in Silvestri's original score into the key scenes. Even without using Silvestri's melodies, which are decidedly out these days, his action rhythms could have easily been deployed and still fit in with the current culture (of bad film music).

I've been working on a concept suite with music that I heard in my head. The low strings actually quote Silvestri's Main Theme but I slowed it down and provided Stravinskyian like wind figures over it. The second half is admittedly more Cheyenne Autumn Alex North than Silvestri.. it probably wouldn't have worked in a 2022 film but I'm old and those are my influences...

Another track but only on Soundcloud. .

https://soundcloud.com/user-970634922/predator-prey-naru-hunts?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Posted:   Aug 8, 2022 - 7:24 AM   
 By:   KeV McG   (Member)

Wow, David, that's better than most new scores I hear programmed today.
Love those wild flutes...put me in mind of Goldsmith's CHAIRMAN at times.
Shame you didn't get the gig.

Posted:   Aug 8, 2022 - 7:29 AM   

Wow, David, that's better than most new scores I hear programmed today.
Love those wild flutes...put me in mind of Goldsmith's CHAIRMAN at times.
Shame you didn't get the gig.

Thanks Kev! I'm continuing with this suite and now that I've seen the film I have some more ideas.

I've worked on a couple of RPG scores but nothing big enough to garner attention from Hollyweird. smile

While I totally agree with Erik, I don't blame Schachner. Where video games and roll-playing games often allow a broader musical canvas, film and TV have become a wasteland for restrained efforts even if the composer wants to go balls the wall with creative ideas.

Posted:   Aug 8, 2022 - 9:46 AM   
 By:   NSBulk   (Member)

I'd love to have someone point out all the uses of Silvestri's theme because I didn't hear it at all.

With timecode please, because I didn't hear it either.

Posted:   Aug 8, 2022 - 10:27 AM   
 By:   Chris.McEneany   (Member)

As part of huge and very comprehensive coverage of PREY, I have provided an in-depth review of Sarah Schachner's evocative and beautiful score.

I pinpoint the Silvestri homage, which occurs in the first track Predator Instinct, and appears in the movie as the title makes it's appearance. Plus, I discover a motif in the final track that bugged me for a couple of days because I knew I'd heard something very similar before ...

You'll have to watch to find out just what it is.

Please feel free to dig in.

https://youtu.be/KqPKYSe-eVQ

Oh, and there is a huge movie review and even a full-length commentary I did. Yep, overkill. But this was my most anticipated and longed-for movie this year.

Cheers
Chris Kilt-Man

Posted:   Aug 8, 2022 - 10:38 AM   
 By:   Tom Servo   (Member)

As part of huge and very comprehensive coverage of PREY, I have provided an in-depth review of Sarah Schachner's evocative and beautiful score.

I pinpoint the Silvestri homage, which occurs in the first track Predator Instinct, and appears in the movie as the title makes it's appearance. Plus, I discover a motif in the final track that bugged me for a couple of days because I knew I'd heard something very similar before ...

Oh, and there is a huge movie review and even a full-length commentary I did. Yep, overkill. But this was my most anticipated and longed-for movie this year.

Cheers
Chris Kilt-Man

I love your enthusiasm, man, keep it up, it's infectious! smile

Posted:   Aug 8, 2022 - 1:16 PM   

I'd love to have someone point out all the uses of Silvestri's theme because I didn't hear it at all.

With timecode please, because I didn't hear it either.

I heard a very very subtle variation of the log drum rhythmic figure but Schachner really adapted it to her own landscape. It's barely noticeable.

Posted:   Aug 8, 2022 - 5:39 PM   
 By:   NSBulk   (Member)

Go to around 5:45 into the film. On the "Prey" title card you'll hear Silvestri's Predator theme.

Posted:   Aug 8, 2022 - 6:35 PM   
 By:   Warlok   (Member)

I've been working on a concept suite with music that I heard in my head. The low strings actually quote Silvestri's Main Theme but I slowed it down and provided Stravinskyian like wind figures over it. The second half is admittedly more Cheyenne Autumn Alex North than Silvestri.. it probably wouldn't have worked in a 2022 film but I'm old and those are my influences...

Pretty good. smile

There is also some nice stuff to be found in the ALIENS: Fireteam third-person shooter. Some of the music has some PREDATOR genes in there, whether it intended to or not (which is quite fine).

Posted:   Aug 8, 2022 - 8:36 PM   
 By:   nuts_score   (Member)

How has Austin Wintory's Aliens: Fireteam score not had an official release?

Posted:   Aug 8, 2022 - 8:50 PM   

Pretty good. smile

There is also some nice stuff to be found in the ALIENS: Fireteam third-person shooter. Some of the music has some PREDATOR genes in there, whether it intended to or not (which is quite fine).

Thanks! I should check out Aliens: Fireteam too.

https://soundcloud.com/user-970634922/prey-as-far-as-i-go-redux?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Posted:   Aug 8, 2022 - 10:51 PM   
 By:   Chris.McEneany   (Member)

Cheers
Chris Kilt-Man

I love your enthusiasm, man, keep it up, it's infectious! smile

Many thanks, Tom. I will!

Chris Kilt-Man

Posted:   Aug 9, 2022 - 1:45 PM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

Go to around 5:45 into the film. On the "Prey" title card you'll hear Silvestri's Predator theme.

I guess that's basically the keyboard/piano theme, just played in a less melodic, grunty way.