Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Sep 17, 2022 - 11:55 AM   
 By:   Dylan   (Member)

For the new horror film "Pearl," Tyler Bates and Timothy Williams were clearly given specific direction from Ti West to compose a lush and romantic mid-20th century style score. Modern directors, even when making a period piece, generally and expressly *do not* direct composers to ever go this route, so it's always a real treat when a score like this is created for a present day film/tv show. It gives somebody like me hope, at least. And for once, a big and lush score is being praised by film critics rather than trashed for being "old fashioned" or whatever critics usually call this sort of score.

Posted:   Sep 17, 2022 - 6:48 PM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

Maybe the best score I've heard for a movie this year...and a guy I was discussing the film with while we were exiting even named-dropped Franz Waxman and Bernard Herrmann! eek

Posted:   Sep 17, 2022 - 6:58 PM   

I haven't heard the entire score for "Pearl" yet, but the track I posted reminds me a little bit of "Escape from Tomorrow" by Abel Korzeniowski. It's soaring and lush.

How is the "horror" music?

Posted:   Sep 17, 2022 - 8:29 PM   
 By:   Jay_Zario   (Member)

Stunning. Absolutely stunning.

Posted:   Sep 18, 2022 - 4:24 PM   
 By:   ScoreFFan   (Member)

This is unbelievably gorgeous at first...but it certainly takes a drastic, sudden "stop" at the end... like the lead wakes up from the fantasy - and then the presumed turn of the film is getting ready to begin.

Posted:   Oct 21, 2022 - 7:09 PM   

Kudos to everybody involved with this film for doing whatever convincing had to be done (at the studio, with the producers, etc.) to give it such an outstandingly big and lush score.

Posted:   Oct 21, 2022 - 7:39 PM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

...and, of course, no goddamn CD.