Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Nov 21, 2022 - 11:53 AM   
 By:   DavidCoscina   (Member)

T
Regarding Jerry Goldsmith, the last totally serious drama thing he scored was probably UNDER FIRE.
Dare I say that GREMLINS and SUPERGIRL killed it all afterwards?

Uh, what about Hoosiers (1987), The Russia House (1990), Six Degrees of Separation (1993), LA Confidential (1997) and The Edge (1997). Those are all really solid dramas.

Posted:   Nov 21, 2022 - 12:04 PM   
 By:   Thierry Schreurs   (Member)

Uh, what about Hoosiers (1987), The Russia House (1990), Six Degrees of Separation (1993), LA Confidential (1997) and The Edge (1997). Those are all really solid dramas.

That's correct, although none of them equals UNDER FIRE.

This is why I said "with fortunately a lot of exceptions", but the overall trend was nevertheless more and more pop corn or teenage stuff over the years after 1983. And also always more scifi, adventure, comics related, superheroes stories etc. Way to much of the like actually....IMHO.

It's not related to a composer but to an era. I just miss the times of the BLACK SUNDAY, THE PARALLAX VIEW, THE DOMINO PRINCIPLE, THE FORMULA, THE AMATEUR, COMA, MARATHON MAN, TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING, CAPRICORN ONE, OUTLAND, LOOKER pessimist or paranoid stories..Serious stuff with solid plot and dramatic issues.

FIRST BLOOD was of that vein of serious stuff but with additional terrific action and outdoor scenery.
This was also at a time when Sylvester Stallone was still a solid and promising actor (but also author), before he got caught by the Hollywood star-system and its inevitable egotrip (RAMBO II and ROCKY IV changed it all).

Posted:   Nov 23, 2022 - 8:24 AM   
 By:   TominAtl   (Member)

Yes, my Top 10 Favourite JG scores are comprised A LOT from films he scored around this period.

In addition to FIRST BLOOD (which would be in my Top 10) I would also add...
TWILIGHT ZONE - THE MOVIE.
THE FINAL CONFLICT.
RAGGEDY MAN.
POLTERGEIST.
THE CHALLENGE.

FIRST BLOOD is a marvellous score and the film is bloody great too.

Agreed on all of the above. This time period(early to mid 80's) is my absolute favorite time period of his work. Started with Star Trek: TMP and it goes on from there.

Posted:   Nov 23, 2022 - 9:30 AM   

I would rather enlarge this and would say that his 1976 to 1983 years are my favorite Jerry Goldsmith era ever.
It "begins" with LOGAN'S RUN and "ends" with TWILGHT ZONE and UNDER FIRE.

But inside that era, there is an even more shortened fantastic 1979-1982 peak that goes from STAR TREK TMP until FIRST BLOOD which includes OUTLAND, INCHON, NIGHT CROSSING, THE SALAMANDER, THE FINAL CONFLICT, THE CHALLENGE, THE SECRET OF NIMH and of course POLTERGEIST.

It all changed in late 1984 with GREMLINS and SUPERGIRL, with the synths becoming more obvious...for movies more teenage or comics oriented.

But Goldsmith was so good and gifted that even his 1984 to 1990 scores were mostly terrific, from LEGEND to LIONHEART, from RAMBO FIRT BLOOD Part II to BABY, from INNERSPACE to TOTAL RECALL, with some guilty pleasures as EXTREME PREJUDICE!

But Goldsmith' style radically changed just after he did TOTAL RECALL, exactly when his ponytail appeared btw (oddly enough). Much more than it changed first, back in 1984.

His then "people story movie" scores from the 90ies were great, THE RUSSIA HOUSE, BASIC INSTINCT, LOVE FIELD, MALICE, RUDY, FOREVER YOUNG etc, but his action scores were a bit weaker than they were before TOTAL RECALL, IMHO. THE RIVER WILD, THE SHADOW, CHAIN REACTION, EXECUTIVE DECISION, AIR FORCE ONE etc are still terrific by any standard but would have been even better 15 years before. I so wish they sounded like his 1979-1982 stuff...

Posted:   Nov 24, 2022 - 5:53 AM   

I got my QUARTET RAMBO box set today, and here is how looks the FIRST BLOOD part of the box.
4 pages of the large LP size booklet deals with the Ted Kotcheff first RAMBO movie and score.

Highly collectible to say the least.

You also can see how looks the whole box here:
https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=149512&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=1&r=562#bottom

Posted:   Nov 24, 2022 - 6:19 AM   

I got my QUARTET RAMBO box set today, and here is how look the FIRST BLOOD part of the box.
4 pages of the large LP size booklet deals with the Ted Kotcheff first RAMBO movie and score.

Highly collectible to say the least.

You also can see how look the whole box here:
https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=149512&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=1&r=562#bottom

Looks like a terrific set

Posted:   Nov 24, 2022 - 6:53 AM   

If the set wasn't so costly, I would just get it as a collector's item and for the liner notes. But I understand the valuation here.

Posted:   Nov 30, 2022 - 3:17 PM   

Today I got my new Studiocanal french Bluray 4K Ultra HD Steelbook of FIRST BLOOD, released Nov 23.

It looks fantastic !

This international steelbook is now available in UK, France and Germany and features all 3 concerned languages from these countries. (But I see there also is an alternate spanish edition now...)

However, FIRST BLOOD was released in early 1983 as RAMBO in France and Germany, not as FIRST BLOOD. So the Studiocanal steelbook producers added a transparent slip case, with the RAMBO title on the front cover and all the credits and bonus details on the back cover in the chosen language edition.

Plus that it comes with an unexpected 50 pages booklet by David J. Moore! Available in english, french, german, spanish etc according to the regional edition selected. Mine is in french of course.

Among them features the awaited SCORING FIRST BLOOD featurette...But I just can't watch it as I have no Bluray Ultra HD hardware to play it so far. Anybody around would have checked it yet, his feedback about is welcome here.

Anyway, here is the thing and its home unboxing experience...

Posted:   Nov 30, 2022 - 3:55 PM   

And now the obligatory new cover artwork...I just couldn't resist.