Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Nov 17, 2022 - 12:21 PM   
 By:   dbrooks   (Member)

If my media was destroyed in a fire, I would probably think about a digital storage. Most likely I would also just move on and consider it just things in life that come and go. It would give me a reason to find something new to do.

Posted:   Nov 17, 2022 - 12:30 PM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

So sorry to hear about your fire. MV lost everything to. I do have most of my collection backed up on external drives. I do need a third backup that I can store in another location.

Posted:   Nov 18, 2022 - 8:26 AM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

Electrical fires are not uncommon. Metal melts. So does plastic. Trust me, you have flammable materials in your home, whether you're aware of it or not. Fire and water are the two most destructive elements. Good luck if you have a fire, because if the flames don't get it, smoke can make the data side unplayable. Even in boxes. Smoke gets everywhere. Then the water from the fire fighters also gets into things. If you can't get to your collection fast enough (luckily you aren't in the house when it goes), then you'll have mold. Which forms in HOURS.

Yes, yes, yes... I am not denying the possibility of a fire, obviously, catastrophes happen. Of course if it did happen, it would be terrible. And I am honestly very sorry it happened to you.

It's not that I am careless about it either, I just don't go through life worrying about all the bad things that could theoretically happen. And the likelihood of a fire burning down our house that was not intentionally set is not very high. That does not mean I am complacent, certainly not. We have fire alarms in every room. (They won't help if nobody's home though.) We have alert neighbors. The fire department is within walking distance...

I also know you are right, the stench of smoke after a fire gets everywhere. The house of some clients of my wife burned down, and she hat to retrieve some documents (a few credit card sized ID cards and a few pages of paper, very little). We put them out on our terrace, the smell of smoke they were contaminated with was unbearable. We would not have wanted that in the office.

I would also like to save my data in the cloud and am currently looking into solutions. I need about 3-4 Terabyte for all data (music, photos, documents, home movies, etc.)

Posted:   Nov 19, 2022 - 7:04 AM   
 By:   ZapBrannigan   (Member)

I would also like to save my data in the cloud and am currently looking into solutions. I need about 3-4 Terabyte for all data (music, photos, documents, home movies, etc.)

Yeah, Scott, what cloud service did you go with? I've been relying on an external hard drive in my go bag, but there are scenarios where that wouldn't cover me.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 11:37 AM   

Nice little revival article. Always happy to keep the fire burning.

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/tech/ditch-vinyl-and-embrace-the-cd-revival-why-my-ps18-supermarket-player-is-the-greatest-hi-fi-bargain-in-40-years-4428111

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 12:14 PM   
 By:   Doug Raynes   (Member)

Nice little revival article. Always happy to keep the fire burning.

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/tech/ditch-vinyl-and-embrace-the-cd-revival-why-my-ps18-supermarket-player-is-the-greatest-hi-fi-bargain-in-40-years-4428111

Considering that any DVD and Bl-ray player also plays CDs I don’t see the point in buying a cheap CD player. I haven’t had one for…what? about 20 years or more I think. A stand-alone CD player does allow you to programme the CD but I could never be bothered to do that when you can simply skip tracks. Of course there are still some expensive CD players around which audiophiles may well think are worth having.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 4:18 PM   
 By:   Rameau   (Member)

I think I have five CD players (it might even be six), madness, as I mostly listen to my CDs via my iPod (well not so much the iPod, I have a few newer DAPs) but a few years ago CD players were popping up in charity shops, really good ones, & I couldn’t resist buying them (I’ve stopped now). If you don’t mind buying s/h, you can pick up CDs for a song (apart from some oop soundtracks) & even new releases cost no more than they did in 1984. So for me, it’s CDs ‘till the end.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 4:28 PM   
 By:   Last Child   (Member)

Early CD players only had analog power sources and rotated very slowly.

Posted:   Dec 5, 2023 - 5:15 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

I never understood what exactly they were churning up in the middle of a wasteland.

Posted:   Dec 5, 2023 - 6:24 AM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

I never understood what exactly they were churning up in the middle of a wasteland.

I think it was a rudimentary moisture farm.
A precursor to the hoity-toity type you see on Tatooine.

Posted:   Dec 5, 2023 - 8:00 AM   

Yeah, Scott, what cloud service did you go with? I've been relying on an external hard drive in my go bag, but there are scenarios where that wouldn't cover me.

Still haven't actually backed up everything in the cloud. Sure, I use Cloud services like Google and Microsoft One Drive for some documents, presentations, and stuff I'm working on, but as a data backup, I would need about 3-4 Terrabyte of cloud space. Still not sure which would be the preferable choice.