Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Feb 11, 2023 - 11:38 PM   
 By:   Big X   (Member)

This year marks the 100 anniversary of this great studio and some titles are already announced for a 4K release. Although Ben-Hur, Doctor Zhivago and the Wizard of Oz were MGM titles how did WB acquire the rights to release these as part of the forthcoming Blu Ray set?

I am hopeful the first two may now get 4K releases soon.

As part of the anniversary, I hope we get the long awaited titles held up inc The Adventures of Batman and Robin.

Posted:   Feb 12, 2023 - 12:15 AM   
 By:   ShadowStar   (Member)

As part of the anniversary, I hope we get the long awaited titles held up inc The Adventures of Batman and Robin.

Since you've brought this up, I'd like to add that I hope that when TAoB&R is released, it won't have a "100 years of WB" type logo on it.

The Superman:TAS set had a "90 years of WB" logo on it, and while it wasn't an eyesore, I would say that it was still noticeable. I would hope that such a logo would not be used on the cover for TAoB&R -- just because it kind of doesn't need one, and it would only distract from the cover art...

Of course, this is all hypothetical, and I'm nit-picking. If the release comes out this year, then I'll just be delighted to have it!

Posted:   Feb 12, 2023 - 2:39 PM   
 By:   CDDA   (Member)

Strange, that even in a box celebrating the studio century they didn't include Gone With The Wind.
The 4k resolution source is ready since its restoration release in 2008.
Maybe its a copyright problem now?

Posted:   Feb 12, 2023 - 3:02 PM   
 By:   nuts_score   (Member)

Although Ben-Hur, Doctor Zhivago and the Wizard of Oz were MGM titles how did WB acquire the rights to release these as part of the forthcoming Blu Ray set?

Hopefully someone can correct me if I am wrong in my memory, but those titles were purchased during the Turner Entertainment acquisition of the MGM library (at that time), which is now in the ownership of WB/Discovery.

Posted:   Feb 12, 2023 - 3:10 PM   
 By:   TacktheCobbler   (Member)

Strange, that even in a box celebrating the studio century they didn't include Gone With The Wind.
The 4k resolution source is ready since its restoration release in 2008.
Maybe its a copyright problem now?

I’d say it’s because the studio wants to focus more on the films the studio actually made, except Oz and certain other MGM/RKO films are included in those forthcoming box sets.

As for a 4K release, George Feltenstein has said on The Extras podcast that Gone With the Wind needs a new transfer, which requires a lot of work (due to it being a nearly four-hour film in three-strip Technicolor). And with the advancements Warner has made in Technicolor restoration, I’m sure a new transfer would look even better than the last restoration.

Posted:   Feb 12, 2023 - 3:15 PM   
 By:   Rameau   (Member)

Yup, it's something like...MGM bought an ailing United Artist & Ted Turner bought Warner Brothers, & then went on to buy MGM in the mid-eighties, but was in too much debt, so had to sell some of it off, so he sold the United Artist film catalogue & the MGM name, which is why Warner has the MGM catalogue (up to the mid-eighties) & MGM has the United Artists catalogue...well they don't have it anymore, Amazon just bought it. Well that's a simplified version.

I think it's the MGM 100th anniversary next year.

...& Sony bought Columbia Pictures & Disney bought Fox, & so on...

Posted:   Feb 12, 2023 - 3:18 PM   
 By:   nuts_score   (Member)

I think it should be stated that these kinds of sets are almost always "too thin" when it comes to the titles included. To me, I have no idea why pictures like IT: Chapter 1 (but not part 2?) or Luhrmann's Elvis are included. Although, yes, both were blockbusters I personally thought both sucked so my perspective is that there are probably 2 other WB titles many other people would've preferred to see over those two alone.

Posted:   Feb 12, 2023 - 5:40 PM   
 By:   Stefan Huber   (Member)

I think part of the problem is that many titles that should be included in these box sets are not available in the necessary format due to the rapid changes on the home video market. The situation was similar when the studios switched to DVD and then from DVD to BluRay. Such a Warner set should include titles like "The Jazz Singer," "42nd Street," "Public Enemy," "Yankee Doodle Dandy," "Casablanca," "The Maltese Falcon," "The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre," "East Of Eden," "Rebel Without A Cause," "Giant" et al. While some of these titles may already exist in 4k (and are indeed included in the new set(s)), others (without checking) may not even be out on BluRay yet. The sad truth is also that less people would buy such a well-curated box.

Posted:   Feb 13, 2023 - 1:14 AM   

I had not realised that MGM celebrates its 100 Anniversary next year, I guess GWTW, Ben-Hur and Dr Zhivago may form part of that celebration in 2024 and any hope of 4K releases will be announced then.

Posted:   Feb 13, 2023 - 5:22 AM   
 By:   AJM   (Member)

I gather lots of WB titles will be getting HD/4K rerelease this year, including TV shows. Dallas has been remastered in HD and I understand Knots Landing is too.

Posted:   Feb 13, 2023 - 5:38 AM   

I gather lots of WB titles will be getting HD/4K rerelease this year, including TV shows. Dallas has been remastered in HD and I understand Knots Landing is too.

I don’t know about TV Shows, but Warner has already announced 4K UHD releases of The Maltese Falcon, Rebel Without a Cause, and Cool Hand Luke with a few more to be announced (Since new restorations will be screened at the TCM Festival, I’m expecting 4K UHD releases of Rio Bravo and East of Eden). Plus, Warner Archive will be releasing some new-to-Blu-ray films.

Posted:   Feb 21, 2024 - 3:32 AM   

Like most I had high expectations for WB 100, only a handful of releases and many overlooked.

Not sure how MGM will fare this year, I am hoping for at least Ben-Hur and Dr Zhivago to name a few.

Posted:   Feb 21, 2024 - 3:42 AM   

Like most I had high expectations for WB 100, only a handful of releases and many overlooked.

Not sure how MGM will fare this year, I am hoping for at least Ben-Hur and Dr Zhivago to name a few.

Not sure about Ben-Hur or Zhivago, but it looks like we’ll at the very least get a 4K UHD of North by Northwest since a new restoration is premiering at the TCM Classic Film Festival.

https://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/films/north-by-northwest/

Posted:   Feb 21, 2024 - 5:16 AM   

Thank you for this, I was not aware of NBNW having had the restoration, a great film, will look wonderful in 4K.

I am sure Ben-Hur had a restoration some years ago, the blu ray looks wonderful, a 4K will look spectacular.

Posted:   Feb 21, 2024 - 7:32 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

WB decided to clench its [soundtrack] licensing buttocks shut a few short years before the 100th anniversary. In fairness, it is hard to have foresight when you are looking out your own ass.

Posted:   Feb 21, 2024 - 7:46 AM   
 By:   EdG   (Member)

WB Archive recently completed a restoration of THE PRINCE AND THE PAUPER (1937) with its spectacular Korngold score and the blu-ray is now available. It's the first time that film has ever been released in HD.