Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jul 21, 2023 - 2:32 PM   
 By:   James MacMillan   (Member)

According to the Facebook page of Quartet Records, Gergely Hubai has passed away at the age of 39. Sad news. He was a contributor to this board and I recall his book on rejected scores, at which point I had some correspondence with him. Condolences to his family members. A bit of a shock...

Posted:   Jul 21, 2023 - 2:45 PM   
 By:   Chris Malone   (Member)

Oh no! That’s such devastating news.

Gergely was a talented film music historian and someone who always elevated the projects that he was part of. It was a privilege to work on albums that he also did.

What impressed me about Gergely’s writing is how he found ways to describe films and scores that were sometimes obscure and seldom seen or heard.

When something like this happens, it makes me reflect how small our worldwide community of film music fans really is.

It’s so sad. May he rest in peace. My condolences to his family and friends at this difficult time.

Chris

Posted:   Jul 21, 2023 - 2:51 PM   
 By:   GoblinScore   (Member)

Shock. This is truly sad news to end the week. Torn Music is invaluable, and he was a knowledgable & valued member of our community. RIP.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2023 - 2:56 PM   
 By:   Josh   (Member)

Oh no, how sad. He was very young and a talented writer. I've always enjoyed reading his liner notes. RIP

Posted:   Jul 21, 2023 - 2:59 PM   
 By:   The Mutant   (Member)

RIP

Taken too soon.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2023 - 3:00 PM   
 By:   Hurdy Gurdy   (Member)

No way.
39...that's no age.
I have many CDs with his writings within them.
R.I.P.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2023 - 3:05 PM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

This came out of nowhere. Very sad news. I hope he had the best of lives and may he rest in peace. My most sincere condolences to his family and close ones.

It's not that I had much private contact with Gergely, but I knew him from various film music forums, and I "met" him a couple of times in various film music related chats/zooms. I always enjoyed his knowledgeable contributions. I knew he was somewhere in his late 30s (so now I know it was 39), so it was quite the shocker to hear that he passed away.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2023 - 3:10 PM   
 By:   Cameron007   (Member)

RIP Gergely. Taken much too soon. Condolences to his family and friends.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2023 - 3:11 PM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

Very sorry to see this.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2023 - 3:16 PM   
 By:   On the Score   (Member)

Incredibly sad. Always helpful and a valuable resource to journalist and fans alike with his countless, always interesting liner notes. His book Torn Curtains is both entertaining and indispensable.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2023 - 3:18 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

I’m shocked. He and I have been communicating for years, most recently in late March of this year. Always thought I might have him on The Goldsmith Odyssey some day. He loved to make homemade isolated score tracks for every Goldsmith project possible (alas, I only asked him for a couple), and we helped him get some rare film and TV videos so that he could do that with more obscure Goldsmith projects.

I appreciated his frankness (some would say bluntness) at times even if it rubbed some the wrong way. He was a good and knowledgeable liner notes writer who contributed a lot to many releases, especially at Quartet. In some way, he will live on for his fellow film music fans in those notes (and in his Torn Music book).

Yavar

Posted:   Jul 21, 2023 - 3:22 PM   
 By:   Peter Greenhill   (Member)

From Quartet Records FB page.

We regret to inform that our dear friend and faithful collaborator Gergely Hubai has passed away today. He was only 39 years old, but he was a tireless scholar and an incredible conoisseur of film music. We were fortunate to have worked together for 11 years and on over 200 projects, including some that have yet to be released. This is a great loss for our community and, above all, we have lost a close friend. We want to send our deeply condolences and sympathy to his family. May he rest in peace.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2023 - 3:38 PM   
 By:   villagardens553   (Member)

Very sad. I always admire those people who contribute invaluable studies or chronicles at what I imagine is little or no financial gain. His Torn Curtain book--mentioned here on many posts--is just that, a niche within a niche, but such an entertaining resource.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2023 - 3:40 PM   
 By:   litefoot   (Member)

Sorry to hear. For those unaware he was The Cat on this board but he hadn't posted in a while. We'd exchanged emails some years ago and I sent him another a few months back but he didn't reply so maybe he wasn't well even then.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2023 - 3:46 PM   
 By:   GoblinScore   (Member)

Thanks for confirming that litefoot - I thought he was The Cat, wasn't positive.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2023 - 3:52 PM   
 By:   litefoot   (Member)

He also had a very informative website about unreleased James Bond music, sadly no longer running.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2023 - 3:54 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

So sorry to hear this. I refer to Torn MUSIC often. I wish his book on Miklos Rozsa was available in English.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2023 - 4:03 PM   
 By:   First Breath   (Member)

What tragic news. I mentioned his name only yesterday in another thread. His book TORN MUSIC is really great and one I often turn to. I'm sure I have some of his liner notes too.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2023 - 4:22 PM   
 By:   merlyn   (Member)

Very sad and shocking news. My thoughts are with his family at this sad time.

Lyn

Posted:   Jul 21, 2023 - 4:44 PM   
 By:   ZapBrannigan   (Member)

Count me among the shocked and saddened. I corresponded with him years ago about James Bond music. He shared my interest in the Roland Shaw recordings, and also the score to On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

I'm surprised he was so young! Back then, and this was a long time ago, he struck me via email as an older man, and probably a professor or something. He was a very intelligent young man.

This is very sad. I'm reminded of how I felt when Charles Thaxton died.