Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jan 31, 2024 - 10:49 PM   
 By:   governor   (Member)

Yeah the reveal from Roger about both titles happened at the same time.

But dont´forget the reveal by Stéphane Lerouge in this French interview from October 2023 that THE RARE BREED is now in the works and should therefore be released by one of the soundtrack labels in the near future. For him this was the main reason why he didn´t ask for anything from THE RARE BREED to be included in this Williams box:
"De même, j’aurais bien aimé que le CD western s’ouvre avec The Rare Breed (Rancho Bravo) mais vu qu’un projet de réédition est déjà en route, c’était un peu compliqué…"
https://www.underscores.fr/chroniques/disques/2023/10/the-legend-of-john-williams/

Why should Lerouge be lying?

With all due respect to Stephane Lerouge, I would take the comments about the Rare Breed with a grain of salt, given the comments 13 years ago about the Moonraker tapes, lost or destroyed following a "cleaning" at the Davout studios in Paris.

Posted:   Jan 31, 2024 - 11:01 PM   
 By:   GoblinScore   (Member)

The Rare Breed!!

Certain to be met with as much success as:
None But The Brave! (From FSM).

I haven't even heard the Silva go at TRB. I only add that I was clueless upon receiving the above, NBTB. FSM uneathered that one and I was, still am, Floored by the maturity and foresight of William's writing.

My point? All of 7 people care about TRB, since nobody heard or cared about NBTB.

Mind you, I would love to hear Rare Breed. But, William's obviously doesn't, yet let None-Brave loose....or did he?

Go hear the FSM NBTB. It's an absolutely wonderful gem. I'm certainly vocal about it online somewhere, again.

Posted:   Jan 31, 2024 - 11:54 PM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

Still, maybe there are other, more personal reasons that have nothing to do with Williams like or dislike of those works.

Even better, perhaps, is that maybe he just didn't want to bother with them in those moments he was approached, but will approve them eventually. Never say never.

That's why the strategy for a release is to ask Williams over and over again, day and night, five times a day, week after week, until the right moment is found and he approves them.

Posted:   Feb 1, 2024 - 2:34 AM   
 By:   Stefan Schlegel   (Member)

Mind you, I would love to hear Rare Breed. But, William's obviously doesn't, yet let None-Brave loose....or did he?

I don´t think that at that time in 2009 FSM asked for Williams´permission. They just dealt with WB, got the license and tapes from them and released the score on CD.

Posted:   Feb 1, 2024 - 3:53 AM   
 By:   moolik   (Member)

Sounds so easysmile!..I know...this is the shortversion...
I miss FSM

Posted:   Feb 1, 2024 - 3:55 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Sounds so easysmile!
I miss FSM

You and me both! Might have been more "gung ho times" in terms of permissions and the like, but by golly, they got many unreleased gems out there (by Williams and others) that would otherwise not have seen the light of day.

I seem to remember they also tried to get DADDY'S GONE A-HUNTING released, but ran into some trouble in terms of available material. At least the single is now on this very set.

Posted:   Feb 1, 2024 - 4:11 AM   
 By:   Stefan Schlegel   (Member)

Sounds so easysmile!..I know...this is the shortversion...
I miss FSM

The point is that FSM didn´t have such a close working relationship with Williams himself that Intrada or LLL have nowadays so there was certainly no need to ask for his approval for everything he had composed so many years ago.
Also WB was still open in 2009 whereas nowadays it is more or less closed regarding such older scores. Therefore even FSM wouldn´t be able to to easily release NONE BUT THE BRAVE in 2024 anymore.

Posted:   Feb 8, 2024 - 8:18 PM   
 By:   Ron Pulliam   (Member)

This set is now up at Amazon.com!

Posted:   Feb 9, 2024 - 4:10 AM   
 By:   CindyLover   (Member)

This set is now up at Amazon.com!

For the low, low price of $139.99.

It's also on Amazon.co.uk

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Legend-John-Williams/dp/B0CJ3FSBMJ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=The+Legend+Of+John+Williams&qid=1707480576&sr=8-1 (£119.99)

If you're in the UK and hate Jeff Bezos: it's on HMV
https://hmv.com/store/music/cd/the-legend-of-john-williams

Posted:   Feb 9, 2024 - 5:22 AM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

Wow, even if I were potentially interested in buying this I'd pass. Where the hell would I put such a wierd book-shaped release?

Posted:   Feb 9, 2024 - 5:26 AM   
 By:   CindyLover   (Member)

Wow, even if I were potentially interested in buying this I'd pass. Where the hell would I put such a wierd book-shaped release?

On a shelf obviously.

Posted:   Feb 9, 2024 - 5:57 AM   
 By:   Erik Woods   (Member)

On a shelf obviously.

I nearly spit out all my coffee onto my monitor! big grin

-Erik-

Posted:   Feb 9, 2024 - 5:22 PM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

On a shelf obviously.

Imagine having a shelf.