Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Dec 12, 2023 - 12:12 PM   
 By:   Hurdy Gurdy   (Member)

Some of my most favourite film scores are supremely arrogant.

Posted:   Dec 12, 2023 - 12:14 PM   
 By:   Prince Damian   (Member)

Wow. IMHO his song for Zorro is SO much better than his song for Titanic!

You mean those two films had songs!!

Posted:   Dec 12, 2023 - 12:28 PM   
 By:   Mike Esssss   (Member)

It might be unintentional but that guy sounds like a prick. It’s not really a problem that he doesn’t understand what film music means to a movie (although given his profession it is) but he doesn’t need to brag about it. Djeez.

Insiders here may correct me if I'm wrong, but is there not also a natural tension between editors and composers, like siblings fighting to get in the last word? In a way they're sort of set up to make each other's job harder.

Some of my most favourite film scores are supremely arrogant.

The irony of it is that he was right but that sensibility is also what made Horner capable of such brilliance.

Posted:   Dec 12, 2023 - 2:08 PM   
 By:   johnbijl   (Member)

Insiders here may correct me if I'm wrong, but is there not also a natural tension between editors and composers, like siblings fighting to get in the last word? In a way they're sort of set up to make each other's job harder.

Might be. He still sounds like a prick.

Can’t see how an editor and a composer are in each others way, by the way.

Posted:   Dec 12, 2023 - 2:33 PM   
 By:   Prince Damian   (Member)

Might be. He still sounds like a prick.

More likely composers and sound effects guys.

Posted:   Dec 12, 2023 - 2:54 PM   

If you read between the lines of what Noble is saying, whether or not you agree with him or believe that he's a prick, he's got a certain rhythm in his edit, he's got his temp scores lined up, and now he has to hand it off to a composer who may throw that all out of whack. On the other hand, the composer is writing to picture with some required degree of precision involved, and the editor can throw that out of whack whether it's through some snips here and there or wholesale changes to a sequence.

At the end of the day I realize the editor and the composer are not the boss, that there is fluidity and lots of variables to the process, and that the edit and the score need to be working in concert for the movie to work. They have the same goal, to serve the picture. But, at least logistically, it makes sense to me that the editor and the composer would kind of eye each other suspiciously like a couple of gunslingers.

Posted:   Dec 12, 2023 - 2:57 PM   
 By:   GoblinScore   (Member)

If you read between the lines of what Noble is saying, whether or not you agree with him or believe that he's a prick, he's got a certain rhythm in his edit, he's got his temp scores lined up, and now he has to hand it off to a composer who may throw that all out of whack. On the other hand, the composer is writing to picture with some required degree of precision involved, and the editor can throw that out of whack whether it's through some snips here and there or wholesale changes to a sequence.

At the end of the day I realize the editor and the composer are not the boss, that there is fluidity and lots of variables to the process, and that the edit and the score need to be working in concert for the movie to work. They have the same goal, to serve the picture. But, at least logistically, it makes sense to me that the editor and the composer would kind of eye each other suspiciously like a couple of gunslingers.

So.....you're saying we should send out the fellas with butterfly nets to capture poor tortured John Ottman?

Posted:   Dec 12, 2023 - 3:17 PM   

Hahahahaha

Posted:   Jan 15, 2024 - 4:04 PM   
 By:   johnonymous86   (Member)

I haven't purchased this set yet but I predict it will be mine shortly. I'm listening to the OST right now and it really holds up as a solid listening experience.

Wasn't there some drama with the actual recording of the score? The soloists had to be recorded separately or something? And this was originally suppose to be an LSO recording but it wasn't...I can't remember and I haven't read the liner notes yet but I do remember reading that there was some difficulty with the recording of this score. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can correct m?