Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Nov 25, 2023 - 3:34 PM   
 By:   Phil567   (Member)

It was set in the Old West on a wagon train. A woman secretly washes her dirty hands using the precious drinking water and the other women find out and punish her by cutting off her long beautiful hair. "But my hands were so dirty!" she explains to no avail.

Posted:   Nov 29, 2023 - 12:03 AM   
 By:   manderley   (Member)

It was set in the Old West on a wagon train. A woman secretly washes her dirty hands using the precious drinking water and the other women find out and punish her by cutting off her long beautiful hair. "But my hands were so dirty!" she explains to no avail.

Hi Phil567.....
You've given us precious little to go on, and it seems that with more than 130 views so far, no one's offering up anything.
But, if I have time in the next few days, I may try to figure it out. But I'll have to ply you with some questions first.

In the meantime, here's a little first-hand story that might relate to film title guesses.....

Many, many years ago, probably in the early-mid-1960s, I had a film fan friend who was quite knowledgeable about movies as I was then. We would play a little movie title guessing game. As I recall, we set parameters for our choices---it had to be a sound film, it had to be a US-made theatrical film with English-dialog, it couldn't be a documentary, it had to be feature-length, it had to be a legitimate film which played across the US, not an obscure, independently-made film which played to few audiences, it couldn't be a religiously-produced feature (like Kroger Babb's PRINCE OF PEACE) or a commercially-produced feature (like THE DUPONT STORY). These limitations were very helpful in narrowing the choices down to only about 40-50,000 pictures!

The person guessing the other person's secret film had to pose his questions to elicit only "Yes" or "No" answers. As I recall, you were allowed only 10 "No" responses before the game was over and if you hadn't guessed the film by then you'd lost. Each of us was fortunate in that we not only had seen a lot of films from various filmmaking decades, but we also were quite aware of the technical aspects of filmmaking. This would help to narrow down the films before you could ever begin to guess what it was.

So…..we might start out….."Can I assume this film was in Black-and-White?"……"Yes"……"Can I assume this film was made in one of the even-numbered decades---the 1940's or 1960's"……"Yes"….."Was this film made in the 1960s?"….."No"….."So, it was a 1940's film?"….."Yes"….."Can I assume was not made by one of the budget-conscious filmmaking companies, PRC, Monogram, Republic, Eagle-Lion, Grand National, Allied Artists, Tiffany, etc."….."Yes"….."Was it produced by one of the major 'Big-5' film companies?"….."Yes"….."Can I assume it wasn't produced by Paramount, RKO or Fox?....."Yes"……"That leaves MGM and Warner Bros---can I assume it was not produced by Warner Bros.?"….."Yes"….."Can I assume it was produced in the last half of the 1940s ---1945 to 1949?"….."No"….."So, this is an MGM film, in B&W, produced and released sometime between 1940-1944?"….."Yes"….."So, to throw me off, can I assume that you've chosen a title more like an MGM-B-unit picture with a lot of wrong-guessing possibilities like a "Maisie" or "Andy Hardy" or "Dr. Kildare" series film?"….."No"….."So this is an MGM "A" production with important stars from the MGM "Classic" contract roster?"….."No"….."I'm shocked! An MGM A-film with no important stars?!!!"….."That's not what you asked."….."Let me think that over. Did it have important stars."….."Yes"……"Ahhh, so they weren't the usual MGM long-term contract stars."….."Yes"….."Can I assume this was not a musical, comedy, or western film?"….."Yes"….."Was this a noirish kind of film?"….."Yes"……"So was it a film noir?....."No, not really."….."So, probably a drama. Ok, was it a film that might have achieved a level of Oscar awards?"….."Yes"….."Did it actually win an Oscar in any category?"….."Yes"….."Was it possibly XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX?"

Those of you who've been reading this have only used up 5 "No" responses, so you have 5 left. Now you can begin guessing what the film is.

When we played this guessing game years ago, our odds of winning weren't all that good. Perhaps we'd guess one in five games. But considering that you start from no knowledge at all and there were at that time nearly 50,000 or so possible choices, we did pretty well and had a lot of fun. But the key to getting a proper answer is to craft your questions carefully and have a lot of specific details about filmmaking beyond the film itself which might give you hints.

The game above was pretty easy. But when you get to questions like 2.35-1 vs. 2.55-1…..or Ansco Color vs. Trucolor…..or Western Electric Sound vs. RCA Photophone…..or Monopack Technicolor vs. 3-strip Technicolor vs. 2-color Technicolor….or produced and released by 20th Century-Fox vs. distributed by 20th Century-Fox…..it helps to limit the possibilities, but it also tends to separate the men-from-the-boys (or women-from-the-girls)!!!

So……I was thinking of
MGM's 1944 production of GASLIGHT with Charles Boyer, Ingrid Bergman and Joseph Cotten

Did you get it?

Posted:   Nov 29, 2023 - 1:14 AM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

So……I was thinking of
MGM's 1944 production of GASLIGHT with Charles Boyer, Ingrid Bergman and Joseph Cotten

Did you get it?

That was EASY! Who wouldn’t have figured it out? Losers!

(Ahem…)

Posted:   Nov 29, 2023 - 2:19 AM   
 By:   Prince Damian   (Member)

I was thinking of something completely different. But what