Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 9:37 AM   
 By:   Prince Damian   (Member)

What about road to perdition? Two Newmans.

Three if you count Paul as a pianist. big grin

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 9:40 AM   
 By:   GoblinScore   (Member)

Make that 9. A classic.

Lawd have mercy, I'm JUST about to create an MM thread of appreciation! Why I oughta!!
Robot Chicken has a channel flip of this very moment actually. Damn near lost my mind.

Bring on the Newmans and groans Varese, 20mins!

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 9:48 AM   
 By:   DJS   (Member)

Lawd have mercy, I'm JUST about to create an MM thread of appreciation! Why I oughta!!
Robot Chicken has a channel flip of this very moment actually. Damn near lost my mind.

Bring on the Newmans and groans Varese, 20mins!

Yes, please. A MM thread. I'm waiting already. We need that Julius Wechter score!

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 9:53 AM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Wow they announced early!
https://varesesarabande.com/collections/cd/products/serenity-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-deluxe-edition-cd-pleasantville-original-motion-picture-score-deluxe-edition-cd-bundle

My favorite Randy Newman score and a perfectly solid David Newman score. smile I'll buy both for sure.

Yavar

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 9:57 AM   
 By:   ryanpaquet   (Member)

I don't think anyone saw Serenity coming - was definitely not on my radar.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 10:00 AM   

And a 2CD set, besides. I had no idea the complete score was 90 minutes long, and almost half unreleased!

(Good to see Pleasantville is more than doubled in length too.)

Yavar

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 10:44 AM   
 By:   Big X   (Member)

I don't think anyone saw Serenity coming - was definitely not on my radar.

I don’t believe anyone saw any of these releases coming.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 10:50 AM   

Anyone? Pleasantville was one of my biggest Varese expansion wants for *any* Newman score they own in perpetuity, and while Serenity wasn't near the top of my David Newman expansion wantlist (it's a good score with some excellent highlights, but not a great one IMO), the ongoing cult popularity of Firefly makes it not terribly surprising, IMO. The only David Newman Varese expansion that would have surprised me even less is Ice Age, due to the baffling but apparently ongoing popularity of that franchise. What I really want Varese to expand of his is Mr. Destiny, but since that's an obscure film it would honestly (though pleasantly) surprise me more if they ever expand that one.

Yavar

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 10:54 AM   
 By:   ghost of 82   (Member)

I'm beginning to realise at last, as we close on the 40th anniversary draws to a close, that we will never see a Brainstorm deluxe. It's clearly just never going to happen.

My first and favourite Horner score. Film tracks never released. Pretty grim. Anybody but Varese owned the rights we'd probably have had it long before now.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 10:57 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

Don't worry, I'm sure VS is just waiting for just the right cartoon cover to be drawn and the channels flipped, after brickwalling, them WHAM -- Brainstorm deluxe.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 11:01 AM   

Have any Varese Club releases been brickwalled since Robert Townson left the company almost six years ago? (Not that he did the brickwalling, but one of the mastering engineers he regularly employed had the bad habit of doing it.) I don't recall anyone complaining about brickwalling on any recent Varese titles, not that there haven't been other issues.

(But goodness, I would rather have a terrible cover than any audio blemishes, even flipped channels...)

Yavar

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 11:29 AM   
 By:   moolik   (Member)

What an unspectecular release after such a promising clue...

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 11:43 AM   
 By:   DJS   (Member)

Hey now, I hear at least three people clapping lol!

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 1:03 PM   

What would have been spectacular for you, out of curiosity? Airport? Any Alfred Newman was always a longshot because I think the only score of his Varese actually controls in perpetuity is The Song of Bernadette, and if I'm not mistaken they already released that complete on 2CDs.

Yavar

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 1:07 PM   
 By:   TacktheCobbler   (Member)

What would have been spectacular for you, out of curiosity? Airport? Any Alfred Newman was always a longshot because I think the only score of his Varese actually controls in perpetuity is The Song of Bernadette, and if I'm not mistaken they already released that complete on 2CDs.

Yavar

I think there were a few source hymns not present on the Varese, one of which turned up on Varese’s CD of North’s Les Miserables (or that CD uses a very similar hymn to my ears, track 11 Magnificat)

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 2:21 PM   

I’d certainly love a new edition of The Song of Bernadette, remastered with modern tech by someone like Chris Malone who did such an incredible job restoring most of The Diary of Anne Frank for LLL a couple years ago. But I have my doubts Varese would go to that lengths for a Golden Age score, particularly one that doesn’t have significant unreleased music.

Yavar

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 2:54 PM   
 By:   ghost of 82   (Member)

Don't worry, I'm sure VS is just waiting for just the right cartoon cover to be drawn and the channels flipped, after brickwalling, them WHAM -- Brainstorm deluxe.

Must confess, that did occur to me. I take comfort that I was at least spared that....

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 5:27 PM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

You mean the an expansion of probably Randy Newman's best score and the score to a movie that has a pretty rabid fanbase of its IP.

Yeah, soooooooo bad.

*rolls eyes*