Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Nov 28, 2023 - 10:08 PM   
 By:   dragon53   (Member)

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 29

MEMORY---trailer released for the movie starring Jessica Chastain and Peter Sarsgaard.

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi6YRSJfs3U

DR. DEATH---trailer released for the Peacock anthology series Season 2 starring Edgar Ramirez as notorious Italian surgeon Dr. Paolo Macchiarini.

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx8xFjWBi9E

GODZILLA X KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE---images and synopsis released for the sequel starring Dan Stevens and Rebecca Hall, “This latest entry follows up the explosive showdown of GODZILLA VS. KONG with an all-new cinematic adventure, pitting the almighty Kong and the fearsome Godzilla against a colossal undiscovered threat hidden within our world, challenging their very existence – and our own. The epic new film will delve further into the histories of these Titans, their origins, and the mysteries of Skull Island and beyond, while uncovering the mythic battle that helped forge these extraordinary beings and tied them to humankind forever.”

DROWNING: THE RESCUE OF FLIGHT 421---Paul Greengrass will direct the Warner Bros. movie based on the novel about a plane that crashes into the Pacific Ocean leaving a sealed compartment with 12 survivors, including an engineer and his daughter, perched on an undersea cliff.

THE CROWN---photos released from Season 6, Part 2 show Meg Bellamy as Kate Middleton, Ed McVey as Prince William, Imelda Staunton as Queen Elizabeth II and Jonathan Pryce as Prince Philip.

KING AND CONQUEROR---Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and James Norton will star in this historical tv series whose synopsis says, "KING AND CONQUEROR is the story of a clash that defined the future of a country — and a continent — for a thousand years, the roots of which stretch back decades and extend out through a pair of interconnected family dynasties, struggling for power across two countries and a raging sea. Harold of Wessex and William of Normandy were two men destined to meet at the Battle of Hastings in 1066; two allies with no design on the British throne, who found themselves forced by circumstance and personal obsession into a war for possession of its crown.”

THE BOYS: MEXICO---Amazon Prime Spanish-language spinoff underway with Diego Luna and Gael Garcia as the producers and possible stars.

THE LONG WALK---Francis Lawrence said he is "now attached" to direct the movie based on the Stephen King novel.

DIE HARD---the original movie starring Bruce Willis will return to select AMC theaters on December 8.

TRIVIA---in THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, the menacing Creature abducted scientist Kay Lawrence (Julie Adams) after killing her bodyguard, a crewman from the tramp steamer RITA. In real life, the Creature really did hurt Adams when stunt man Ben Chapman was carrying Adams and accidentally hit her head against the fake rocks which caused a big scare among the cast and crew. Adams described the incident, "There is one behind-the-scenes story that we told at least a thousand times. It is the cave incident, when the studio forgot to heat the tank on the cave set. Ben and I were reluctant to get into the cold water, but there was no time to heat the tank, so we carried on like troopers. In the scene, he is supposed to emerge with me unconscious in his arms as he carries me to his underwater lair. Things didn't go according to plan!
Ben's Creature goggles fogged up when he emerged from the chilly water with me unconscious in his arms. I was freezing cold, trying hard not shiver when I felt a bump on my head. My eyes jolted open on impact and our director, Jack Arnold yelled, 'Cut.' Ben unable to see clearly, had accidentally hit my head against the paper mache rock of the cave set. As a result, I had a small scrape on my forehead."
Adams added, "Of course, the studio made a publicity stunt out of it, and a nurse was called in to tend to my minor wound. There is a wonderful picture that has become a fan favorite; it shows the cast looking over me with worry as the nurse tends to the scrape on my forehead. The best part of the picture is Ben as the Creature, kneeling over me solicitously. Every time I see that picture it warms my heart, and makes me miss him even more. It was Ben's gentle soul inside the rubber suit that helped make his character so enduring and resonant with audiences. Of course, I was fine and a few minutes later we got the shot and worked our way through the rest of the scene."

Star Richard Carlson, director Jack Arnold, co-star Richard Denning (left to right) and Ben Chapman in the Creature suit, were greatly concerned when Chapman accidentally hit Adams' head against the fake rocks. Fortunately, it was not serious.

Posted:   Nov 29, 2023 - 5:11 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

That pic is absolutely hilarious! Look how concerned the creature is?

Posted:   Nov 29, 2023 - 5:13 AM   

RE: Godzilla- I don't know why they keep making these movies. I don't think a single film in the series has made its money back.

Posted:   Nov 29, 2023 - 4:34 PM   
 By:   nuts_score   (Member)

Godzilla 2014: Budget $160 million, Box Office $529 million

King: Skull Island: B $185 million, BO $569 million

Godzilla: King of the Monsters: B $170 million, BO $387 million

Godzilla vs. Kong: B $155 - $200 million, BO $470 million

I'm not a rocket scientist but calculations look like the franchise has spent ~$715 million with a box office receipt of ~$1.9 billion. All of this before television rights, merchandise, and home video and streaming sales. Not sure the logic that gets you to "haven't made their money back" yet they continue making them despite your calls to the head office to ask them where the money is. Aren't you a Godzilla fan too?

Posted:   Nov 29, 2023 - 5:25 PM   

Godzilla 2014: Budget $160 million, Box Office $529 million

King: Skull Island: B $185 million, BO $569 million

Godzilla: King of the Monsters: B $170 million, BO $387 million

Godzilla vs. Kong: B $155 - $200 million, BO $470 million

I'm not a rocket scientist but calculations look like the franchise has spent ~$715 million with a box office receipt of ~$1.9 billion. All of this before television rights, merchandise, and home video and streaming sales. Not sure the logic that gets you to "haven't made their money back" yet they continue making them despite your calls to the head office to ask them where the money is. Aren't you a Godzilla fan too?

Those are not great numbers. Especially the last two which were clearly a loss when you consider cost of production, theater cuts and advertising. I don’t think they’re making their money back on Sideshow figurines. But what do I know?

Posted:   Nov 29, 2023 - 11:01 PM   

If you don't think $1.9 billion in box office over four movies is good numbers something might be up. Hollywood definitely overspends on countless movies (especially after you've witnessed Godzilla Minus One, which cost $15 million and looks absolutely breathtaking and seamless) but $1.9 billion dollars is very close to $2 billion dollars in fact! And there is a lot more MonsterVerse merchandise than anything Sideshow has ever done. Bandai, NECA, and Spinmasters have made countless toys across the films for both the standard retail market and the collector's market. And currently companies like Hiya Toys and Super7 are also doing new products. I've got a nephew that went through a nice little Godzilla phase when 2019's King of the Monsters came out. Just last week when visiting family my 2 year old niece couldn't wait to show me her hand-me-down collection of "dinos" as it seems we have another budding Big G fan in the family. Never forget the MST3k mantra: "Just repeat to yourself it's just a show, I should really just relax."

Posted:   Nov 29, 2023 - 11:58 PM   
 By:   Rameau   (Member)

There’s been rumours of a Creature From The Black Lagoon remake for decades now, but it’s never happened. I just don’t understand the whole Godzilla thing, it’s so stupid, beyond parody, just kill it, a small missile would do the trick.

Posted:   Nov 30, 2023 - 5:41 AM   

If you don't think $1.9 billion in box office over four movies is good numbers something might be up. Hollywood definitely overspends on countless movies (especially after you've witnessed Godzilla Minus One, which cost $15 million and looks absolutely breathtaking and seamless) but $1.9 billion dollars is very close to $2 billion dollars in fact! And there is a lot more MonsterVerse merchandise than anything Sideshow has ever done. Bandai, NECA, and Spinmasters have made countless toys across the films for both the standard retail market and the collector's market. And currently companies like Hiya Toys and Super7 are also doing new products. I've got a nephew that went through a nice little Godzilla phase when 2019's King of the Monsters came out. Just last week when visiting family my 2 year old niece couldn't wait to show me her hand-me-down collection of "dinos" as it seems we have another budding Big G fan in the family. Never forget the MST3k mantra: "Just repeat to yourself it's just a show, I should really just relax."

You're talking gross not net. I don't feel like doing all the math's. (Math's is hard.) But just take Godzilla vs. Kong: B $155 - $200 million, BO $470 million. You have to double the take home to break even. If it cost $200 million to make then it had to make $400 million to break even. That leaves you 70 million. But they don't take home 70 million because half of global ticket sales goes to the theaters (or governments) So maybe they made 35 million on a $200 million investment? Now take that 35 million dollars and apply it towards your next $200 million dollar budgeted film. How exactly are you making a profit? It makes no sense to spend that much money for so little in return. Licensing may bring in some money but nothing compared to what a hit movie would bring in.

I go back to the days when movies really made a profit.

Jaws:
Budget $9 million
Box office $476.5 million

Star Wars:
Budget $11 million
Box office $775.8 million

Posted:   Nov 30, 2023 - 5:45 AM   

There’s been rumours of a Creature From The Black Lagoon remake for decades now, but it’s never happened. I just don’t understand the whole Godzilla thing, it’s so stupid, beyond parody, just kill it, a small missile would do the trick.

Guillermo del Toro tried to do a Creature remake but couldn't get the rights or something. So he made his own, "The Shape of Water". I'm not knocking Godzilla. Loved him as a kid and still do no matter how silly it may seem. wink

Posted:   Nov 30, 2023 - 7:28 AM   

I go back to the days when movies really made a profit.

Jaws:
Budget $9 million
Box office $476.5 million

Star Wars:
Budget $11 million
Box office $775.8 million

I appreciate the conversation as always. You've ended with two comparison points which are understandable, but somewhat unrelated. These are the two films (along with The Exorcist, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Halloween 1978) that the industry can point to as the apex of what became of the concept of blockbuster. Very little has replicated this success since the 70s precisely because of these two examples. Closer comparison points would be indie successes like The Blair Witch Project or Sound of Freedom or studio stuff that unexpectedly over performed like American Sniper. The truth is that if Jaws and Star Wars 1977 were made today, they would cost as much these MonsterVerse movies. These movies were what caused the Hollywood overspending and cycles of merchandise and more. The imperical evidence to answer your original question of "why do they keep making these" is in the notion that, while they are expensive to produce, they are a part of a billion dollar franchise of a beloved IP that is recognized around the world. If you want to determine why the last movie made less of a return at the box office, just close your eyes and remember that very few films did very well at the box office a year immediately after the global pandemic. That Kong vs. Godzilla amassed almost half a billion at the box office while also simultaneously appearing on WB's streaming service is testament to the success.

P.S. Go see Godzilla Minus One to see the Godzilla franchise reaching for new heights with a miniscule budget! But don't ever expect the Hollywood productions to take notes from it because it will not be as successful as their efforts financially. That is a land ruled by billions of dollars, not millions.