Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 6:14 AM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

Any of the dislikers out there - have you seen the film? Rewatching it on Max now, and it's fairly likeable. The budget shows, mimicking low budget 50s sci fi programmers, Tony Gardner's creatures are fun to watch, the cast is game and in on the joke. That alone, casting, makes it at least worth a peek!...

Ok, that does it. Challenge accepted. If folks are gonna hammer Goldsmith for dipping his pen into a frothy assignment like the one that this sounds like then I have to see and hear it for myself. And report back. Whenever. My library system says there's one DVD in circulation but there's no location so it's a gaslight. Maybe it's streaming on Roku somewhere besides Max. Oh and in either case, knowing the entity behind this thread's creation I doubt he's using "masterpiece" in the literal sense so much as using it to convey a mild feeling of surprise, i.e., looky here at what I found, whaddaya think. You know, connotation vs. denotation and all that. Either that or he's just stirring the pot. Maybe both! And it's working. smile

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 8:44 AM   
 By:   GoblinScore   (Member)

Grazie for the replies gents! The flick is forgettable, true, and thinking back the now cancelled Jeffrey Jones does seem uncomfortable and awkward. Teri Garr makes up for it though, always fun to watch.

Gimme JG & the NPO pounding out mixed meters anyday of the week.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 9:07 AM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

Grazie for the replies gents! The flick is forgettable, true, and thinking back the now cancelled Jeffrey Jones does seem uncomfortable and awkward. Teri Garr makes up for it though, always fun to watch.

Gimme JG & the NPO pounding out mixed meters anyday of the week.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 9:36 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

You know, connotation vs. denotation and all that.

Oooh....I never expected the surprise appearance of Ferdinand de Saussure in this thread. Nice!

I've never seen or heard MOM & DAD, despite interviewing Dante in 2013. I should have prepared better. But it doesn't sound like my cuppa tea, at least not the score. The film sounds fun.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 10:27 AM   
 By:   Sean Nethery   (Member)

Thor - not Dante, the director is Greg Beeman. It's that the score is in the same general idiom as JG's work for Dante, though as someone else pointed out, more mickey-mousing, appropritate to the movie's tone.

And yes, otherSean, I've seen the film, though 30 years or so ago now. What I remember most is that with this cast I wanted to enjoy the movie more than I did, and it wanted to be funnier than it was. Felt dated, past its expiration date. Shoulda come out about 1986.

I have a poor enough memory of the film that I'm not interested in a rewatch.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 10:37 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Thor - not Dante, the director is Greg Beeman. It's that the score is in the same general idiom as JG's work for Dante, though as someone else pointed out, more mickey-mousing, appropritate to the movie's tone.

Ah OK, that makes sense.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 11:20 AM   
 By:   lonzoe1   (Member)

I remembering watching and enjoying this movie multiple times when I was a kid. Haven't seen the movie since the late 90s/ early 00s though. I can vaguely remember Goldsmith's score, which going off memory was quite fun in the movie. I don't own the original soundtrack so I wouldn't mind this score getting the deluxe edition treatment if ever.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 12:42 PM   
 By:   1977   (Member)

It's a fun score, one of my favourites of JG from the early 90s. I'd love an expansion although the album as is seems ample.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 2:30 PM   
 By:   Sean Nethery   (Member)

Since I'm on the not-in-love-with-this-score side, I just want to echo that yes, it is brilliantly performed.

All the quick changes in mood and feel are more difficult to play than they are to write (which is not dissing Jerry G or Carl Stalling et al., it's just true that it's not so hard to do when you're a pro composer of their ilk).

The National Phil handles everything with aplomb. I just wish the piano solo at the beginning didn't sound like it was recorded in a closet next door to the studio.

And I'd forgooten how much I enjoy the beginning of The Lub Lubs - (the first 29 seconds) always wished there was more of that stuff.