Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 4:15 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

THE FINAL DAYS was a made-for-television film based upon Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein’s book about Nixon's last months in the White House. Lane Smith played Nixon and Theodore Bikel was Henry Kissinger.

Theodore Bikel as Henry Kissinger in THE FINAL DAYS

In trying to figure out how to enact the infamous prayer scene between Nixon and Kissinger, Bikel took his cues on playing Kissinger from Kissinger’s book Years of Upheaval. “It’s astounding to me that he cannot recall if he knelt,” said Bikel. “Here’s a man with an amazing memory, a historian, incredibly alert to every nuance, who cannot remember such a dramatic detail? I think that shows he was acutely, horribly embarrassed, and that’s what I wanted to convey.”

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 9:15 PM   

In Oliver Stone’s 1995 film NIXON, Paul Sorvino played Henry Kissinger. Reportedly, Kissinger was extremely impressed with Sorvino's impression of him.

Paul Sorvino as Henry Kissinger in NIXON

Posted:   Dec 2, 2023 - 12:06 AM   
 By:   Rameau   (Member)

Yup, there must have been a few actors that have played him. A big face & heavy accent…& then the glasses do most of the work.

Posted:   Dec 2, 2023 - 8:37 AM   

The 1995 Turner Network Television film KISSINGER AND NIXON was told mainly from Henry Kissinger's point of view. The film focused on the attempts of Kissinger (Ron Silver) to negotiate with Communist North Vietnam while working in the Nixon (Beau Bridges) administration. These efforts led up to the 1973 Paris Peace Accords, which in turn led to the total Communist takeover of South Vietnam in 1975.

Beau Bridges as Richard Nixon and Ron Silver as Henry Kissinger in KISSINGER AND NIXON

Posted:   Dec 2, 2023 - 3:59 PM   

In the 1999 comedy DICK, after wandering off during a White House tour, two high school girls (Kirsten Dunst and Michelle Williams) inadvertently become Richard Nixon's top-secret advisers at the height of the Watergate scandal. Dan Hedaya played Nixon and Saul Rubinek was Henry Kissinger.

Saul Rubinek as Henry Kissinger in DICK

Posted:   Dec 2, 2023 - 4:19 PM   
 By:   Sir David of Garland   (Member)

Cue Bob DiMucci for a filmography! smile

I was joking, but he managed to come up with one.

Posted:   Dec 2, 2023 - 10:23 PM   

In 2012, Sky TV in the UK produced a film called NIXON’S THE ONE as part of their series “Playhouse Presents.” The screenplay was based on the actual words spoken by the real President Nixon (Harry Shearer), who, with his power on the wane, lets rip about all his prejudices towards minority groups towards a not unsympathetic Henry Kissinger (Henry Goodman). The film led to a short-lived 30-minute comedy-drama series of the same name, which ran for 6 episodes in 2013, using the Watergate tapes as scripts.

Henry Goodman as Henry Kissinger and Harry Shearer as Richard Nixon in NIXON’S THE ONE

Posted:   Dec 3, 2023 - 11:20 AM   

VICE was a comedic biography of Dick Cheney (Christian Bale), an unassuming bureaucratic Washington insider, who quietly wielded immense power as Vice President to George W. Bush (Sam Rockwell), reshaping the country and the globe in ways that are still felt today. Kirk Bovill played Henry Kissinger in the 2018 film.

Kirk Bovill as Henry Kissinger in VICE

Posted:   Dec 3, 2023 - 4:06 PM   
 By:   eriknelson   (Member)

I attended the world premiere of John Adams' opera NIXON IN CHINA, presented by Houston Grand Opera in 1987. Those familiar with the piece know that Kissinger isn't portrayed sympathetically. Well, Henry himself was in the audience that evening. When he became aware that he was being ridiculed, he got up and stormed out of the theatre in a huff. I doubt he attended the cast party!

Posted:   Dec 4, 2023 - 10:43 AM   

The Chinese television series “Diplomatic Situation” begins with the birth of New China and ends with Deng Xiaoping's visit to the United States and the return negotiations between China, Britain, and Hong Kong. It mainly describes the contributions of Mao Zedong, Zhou Enlai, Deng Xiaoping, and Chen Yi, the older generations of proletarian revolutionaries, to the diplomatic cause of New China. Scotty Bob Cox played Henry Kissinger in the 2019 series.

Scotty Bob Cox as Henry Kissinger and Vincent Matile as Richard Nixon in “Diplomatic Situation”

Posted:   Dec 4, 2023 - 2:30 PM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

I attended the world premiere of John Adams' opera NIXON IN CHINA, presented by Houston Grand Opera in 1987. Those familiar with the piece know that Kissinger isn't portrayed sympathetically. Well, Henry himself was in the audience that evening. When he became aware that he was being ridiculed, he got up and stormed out of the theatre in a huff. I doubt he attended the cast party!

Considering his place in history, one might say that he was actually fortunate to be able to get up and leave on his own 2 legs.
(But that's just me--I'm a glass-half-full kind of guy. smile)

Posted:   Dec 5, 2023 - 11:04 AM   

GOLDA focuses on the intensely dramatic and high-stakes responsibilities and decisions that Golda Meir (Helen Mirren), also known as the 'Iron Lady of Israel,' faced during the Yom Kippur War. Liev Schreiber plays Henry Kissinger in this 2023 biopic.

Helen Mirren as Golda Meir and Liev Schreiber as Henry Kissinger in GOLDA

Posted:   Dec 5, 2023 - 6:28 PM   

I'm always glad when people in power are looked at critically.

Posted:   Dec 5, 2023 - 6:30 PM   

Considering his place in history, one might say that he was actually fortunate to be able to get up and leave on his own 2 legs.

and probably "burdened" with more moolah than your average Joe, his wife, all their neighbors and a few city blocks besides.

Posted:   Dec 6, 2023 - 9:33 AM   
 By:   Alex Klein   (Member)

It wasn't President Kennedy who sent thousands of troops into Vietnam though. "Military Advisors" who he was more likely to reduce than increase. He told Cronkite that. Ending a war by escalating bombing of civilians in Cambodia is a heck of a stretch. And let's not forget Kissinger's support in overthrowing elected governments in Chile and Argentina.

Not only did Kissinger support the overthrow of elected governments. He also supported bloody dictatorships like Pinochet's in Chile.

In South America, Kissinger is a war criminal.

Alex

Posted:   Dec 6, 2023 - 9:53 AM   
 By:   Bill Carson, Earl of Poncey   (Member)

I am not posting this here to stir the pot. No need to praise or condemn Kissinger's influence in his long career and influence on world politics here, as there are many places where this can be discussed.

This, from the thread starter

Posted:   Dec 6, 2023 - 11:38 AM   
 By:   nuts_score   (Member)

What color do you think the pair of pajamas were, waiting for Kissinger in the afterlife? Black?

Posted:   Dec 6, 2023 - 3:17 PM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

Yep, Filmscore Monthly, the place to go to discuss subjects people know nothing about and try to pass their comments off as some kind of scholarly thesis. Enough please, Mr. Moderator.