Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Nov 30, 2023 - 5:06 AM   
 By:   Leo Nicols   (Member)

Just heard the sad news....R.I.P. Shane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jbdgZidu8

Posted:   Nov 30, 2023 - 5:14 AM   
 By:   Thomas   (Member)

Yes very sad, though he had obviously been ill for some time. He wrote some great lyrics and songs more than the Christmas one, Rainy Night In Soho probably being my favourite. The Irish Rover with The Dubliners is fun too. Sad to think Shane and Sinead have both passed within a few months of each other.

Posted:   Nov 30, 2023 - 7:49 AM   
 By:   Rameau   (Member)

I can't say I'm surprised. He looked awful & close to death in photos of him online in the last couple days. He just came out of hospital, I think they let him out to die.

Posted:   Nov 30, 2023 - 8:11 AM   

"Cram as much pleasure as you can into life, and rail against the pain you have to suffer as a result."
Shane MacGowan (1957-2023)

Posted:   Nov 30, 2023 - 8:17 AM   
 By:   villagardens553   (Member)

He was also a John Barry fan. I read an interview once when he said--I'm paraphrasing--that when he stumbled on a musical problem, he'd ask himself: What would John Barry do?"

Posted:   Nov 30, 2023 - 8:27 AM   
 By:   First Breath   (Member)

Sad news. I love FONY.

Posted:   Nov 30, 2023 - 9:22 AM   
 By:   Hurdy Gurdy   (Member)

Based on his 'hard living' lifestyle, he did well to make it to 65.
I don't think I've ever seen him looking healthy or well.
I'm sure he had some fun along the way.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 5:34 AM   

They're playing Fairytale Of NY right now on Smooth FM (I know...the missus has got it on) and The Woke Brigade have been in and removed the line 'You cheap lousy faggot' eek

So, ALL this is okay...

You're a bum
You're a punk
You're an old slut on junk
Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed
You scumbag, you maggot
You cheap lousy faggot
Happy Christmas your arse
I pray God it's our last

...apart from that one line. Fkn ridiculous.

Stop The World, I Wanna Get Off.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 8:04 AM   
 By:   First Breath   (Member)

Agreed. Ridiculous woke-society.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 8:20 AM   
 By:   Thomas   (Member)

I was listening to Greatest Hits Radio this afternoon, and they have also removed that line. I believe it was BBC Radio 2 that first started it a few years ago. Although I was also listening to RTE Radio earlier, and they play the original.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 8:36 AM   

The video I posted above still contains the "offending" word.....well up until now anyway.
We must not upset the "Woke-Meisters"

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 9:54 AM   
 By:   nuts_score   (Member)

A gutting loss for this old UK punk music fan. After work I blasted the entirety of If I Should Fall from Grace with God loud enough for the whole neighborhood to hear.

Godspeed Shane MacGowan.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 10:02 AM   

I'm assuming all of those who are offering their dismay over the censoring of the slur are not, in fact, gay men? Censorship has existed longer than this fabled "woke virus" that so many people love showcasing their outrage yet I'm thinking so many people are OK with a form of censorship based upon their own lifestyle, religion, worldview, etc. That lyric had probably been censored in many countries on the radio for decades now. My advice? Stop listening to the bloody radio and buy an album to enjoy it as intended for a change.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 10:22 AM   

But what about the 'sluts, scumbags and maggots'?
Ain't they got rights too?

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 10:34 AM   

Good point !

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 10:48 AM   

No, I don't think they do. These are pejoratives that are universal and not specifically about people's lifestyle, rather their personalities and ignorances. I love punk music and the anger and energy but it was a different era and that is OK, too. I don't think I'm surprised that the radio censored a slur like that.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 11:05 AM   
 By:   Bill Carson, Earl of Poncey   (Member)

I do remember that wonderful story when writing Fairytale NY that it was on the tour when the band did nothing on the bus but watch the video of Once upon a time in America - and the opening bars of that Fairytale song were the opening bars of Ennio's theme.

The other thing mentioned on here before was that surprisingly Shane and Kirsty McCall never did a duet - she tried out for the song in the studio at a time when the band weren't around. They had tried several female singers n when the band heard her version they said "Thats it!! That's the one."

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 11:24 AM   

Well, we EAT Faggots in the UK.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 11:27 AM   

You eat piles of sticks? I've seen your UK dinners on that one popular thread but I ain't been seeing any wood on the plates! Haha!

Posted:   Dec 1, 2023 - 11:32 AM   

Haha.
No, it's a kinda meatball comprised of all the really shitty bits of a pig.
Me Dad used to eat them when I was a kid.
Don't know if they're still a thing now (probably been renamed so as not to upset the sensitive).