Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Dec 2, 2023 - 1:11 AM   
 By:   spook   (Member)

What a wonderful resource for the great man’s music. So much still to discover out there… and for label’s to potentially release.

Posted:   Dec 2, 2023 - 2:51 AM   
 By:   Gold Digger   (Member)

This is fantastic. Great to see the site back with so much information and more importantly samples of so much rare Michael Kamen music. Great to listen to but also frustrating we don’t have albums for so much of this. I do hope at least some of the 90s missing scores are possible for release.

Great work!

Posted:   Dec 2, 2023 - 5:34 AM   
 By:   Mink   (Member)

Thank you all for the nice words - it's really great to see that people enjoy the site :-)
If there’s anything specific you’d like to see on there, please let me know and we’ll try to include it!

To address some of the remarks and questions: First of all, I'm not Rune Karolius ;-)

EVENT HORIZON - it is on the top of my list of scores that I would like to see expanded!
The sheer wealth of music that Michael recorded, with roughly 60% of it not being heard in the film at all, demands a release! As far as I know, the right situation is a bit difficult because of the Orbital material.

I agree, WILDER NAPALM is one of Michael's most personal scores from the 90s and it meant a lot to him. We unfortunately "only" have the monitor mixes from the sessions, meaning no final mixes and missing Kurzweil overlays. There's also one Kurzweil-only cue in the score that's obviously missing because of that. So we'll have to see if and what the studio has…

Band of Brothers Clips: absolutely – please stay tuned!

Thank you for the Mac bug report, johnbijl. I’ve tested it and it works alright.
Maybe you have an older operating system? I heard that can cause problems with Squarespace pages…

MutualRevolver, yes DEAD BANG is great and 'Discovering Maps' is my favorite piece from that score as well. I guess it was Frankenheimer’s too, since he used it multiple times in the film^^ And thank you for keeping up the thread of Michael’s unreleased scores! :-)

Posted:   Dec 2, 2023 - 6:22 AM   
 By:   acathla   (Member)

Band of Brothers Clips: absolutely – please stay tuned!

Wohooo! Cant wait!! big grin

Posted:   Dec 2, 2023 - 6:29 AM   
 By:   Gold Digger   (Member)

Question for Mink..

Do you know if the album masters for Stunts and The Next Man exist for release?

Fascinating to hear Dead Bang and Fair Game.

Fascinating listening.

Posted:   Dec 2, 2023 - 7:04 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

To address some of the remarks and questions: First of all, I'm not Rune Karolius ;-)

I see. Well, I'm sure he appreciates it, having previously run a Kamen site himself. Maybe he's even reading this thread. As I said, I hope to meet him in Tromsø in January, so I'll chat to him about it then.

I've just started going through the stuff in the 'catalogue' menu, and wow, really fascinating stuff. I did a webcast episode on Michael Kamen a few years ago, and I wish I had access to this material then.

Particularly interesting is the 70s stuff, which I had very little knowledge of beforehand. Like all the ballet and dance music, with the cue from UNDER THE SUN, in particular, being such a classic Kamen theme that I feel like I've heard many times before. I also love the New York Rock Ensemble stuff, which I had heard of only by name previously, but now found an opportunity to explore more on streaming platforms.

It's a bit frustrating that the clips are only 30 seconds long, but I assume that's due to rights issues (quotation rights and all that). But the opportunity to hear this music is staggering; it's a bit like my own 6-part series on John Williams' TV music, which hopefully allowed people to hear a lot of the composer's earliest and most obscure work, at least for a few seconds or minutes.

Anyways, keep up the great work! Hope there will be opportunities to hear some of the rarities in more extended takes, and clips from other obscure efforts.

We're all dreaming of a new FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON soundtrack set that includes more of Kamen's efforts, as well as the other composers. That's probably my no. 1 wish for unreleased Kamen.

Anyway...enough talk. Let me get back to your wonderful walkthrough...

Posted:   Dec 2, 2023 - 7:19 AM   

I also dig the blurb for SHANGHAI SURPRISE:

"Comedy with Sean Penn and Madonna, a lot of opium and George Harrison as a nightclub singer."

Posted:   Dec 2, 2023 - 7:47 AM   
 By:   nerfTractor   (Member)

This is so great to hear. I’m glad his music is being kept alive so faithfully. I was a big fan then and still am now. We can only hope our labels are listening too and will continue to explore and release his recordings.

Posted:   Dec 2, 2023 - 8:36 AM   

I also wasn't aware that Kamen had such a long relationship with Queensryche. Surely that must have paved the way for his work with Metallica on the S&M album.

Posted:   Dec 2, 2023 - 9:04 AM   

Perhaps you should add that there was a previous, rejected score for WHAT DREAMS MAY COME by Morricone under that entry?

Posted:   Dec 2, 2023 - 9:51 AM   
 By:   MutualRevolver   (Member)

MutualRevolver, yes DEAD BANG is great and 'Discovering Maps' is my favorite piece from that score as well. I guess it was Frankenheimer’s too, since he used it multiple times in the film^^ And thank you for keeping up the thread of Michael’s unreleased scores! :-)

You're most welcome. If it's possible, I would love to see audio clips for the unreleased Brazil cues, as that score is my Kamen grail!

Posted:   Dec 2, 2023 - 1:19 PM   
 By:   danbeck   (Member)

https://www.michaelkamen.com/catalogue/licence-to-kill

Amazing

On Licence To Kill it is great to hear brief samples from tracks I've wanted since watching the movie (first Bond I watched in theaters).

Even more curious about "12M1A - Tankers Down-Hill" and "12M1B - Truck Chase". In the movie these scenes have tracked music from Shark Fishing, James Captures Sanchez and Waterski Escape with some occasional overlays. I wonder if Kamen wrote specific tracks for these sequences that went unused.

Also the Jamed Bond Theme with Eric Clapton & Vic Flic seems to be the track that was uploaded to Youtube for a brief period some time ago and was supposedly Kamen's original intention for the main titles that was abandoned early in the process.
But there's another track listed "The Reward (unused Title Song)" (with no vocalist listed), never heard Kamen might have attempted a title song (maybe is another instrumental on the Bond Theme he considered for the main titles)?

Hope sooner than later this score is released in complete form.
It is my main grail from Kamen (but there are many others Highlander, Event Horizon...) great to see that at least the music is safe and preserved.

Posted:   Dec 2, 2023 - 1:37 PM   
 By:   Xalandar   (Member)

On my side, I d love to hear some unreleased snippets from 'The Dead Zone', it still remains my favorite from Mr Kamen. Fingers crossed smile

Posted:   Dec 2, 2023 - 8:49 PM   
 By:   Dr. Nigel Channing   (Member)

No clips (yet) from my holy grail, FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON. But cool to at least see a list of all of the cues. Wonderful site!