Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Dec 16, 2023 - 7:19 AM   
 By:   Bond1965   (Member)

I haven't studied the entire thread, so apologies if this has been said already, but

1) I think the comments can be too harsh. The cover can be taken as an artistic decision to go a little nuts, think outside the box, and do the unexpected. The Firefly franchise's whole sense of humor is about defying expectations and subverting accepted conventions. Plus, a lot of pop music cover art comes out of left field, and it's fine. Look at the cartoonish covers of the Maybe This Christmas CD series. It's supposed to be odd. It's pop art.

2) I wonder if Varese couldn't get studio and actor clearances for the official key art in a timely manner. Fan-made covers are easy because you don't need any permissions. Just use whatever you like. Maybe Varese had to create something from scratch without licensing the whole, recognizable ship or the actor's likenesses, because that was taking forever.

Definitely #2. The booklet features no stills or key art from the film. People just need to get over it.

Could be worse, see Varese's release of Knight And Day.

James

Posted:   Dec 16, 2023 - 1:35 PM   
 By:   Scott McOldsmith   (Member)

The distaste for the cover continues to baffle me.

Do you guys have the same problem with Mondo's vinyl reissues? What about this recent one, on HOME ALONE? Is that too "cartooney" for you too? (personally, I absolutely adore it, and wish I could afford it -- much better than the original "Scream" cover).

I have zero issues with illustrated covers for Vinyl or CD in principle. The example you posted is lovely.

The vinyl art for Godzilla: King of the Monsters is beautiful. I also love the artwork for the Wrath of Khan LP. Really nicely done.

The Serenity art is gut ugly. There's nothing about it that I find appealing. It's not even good comic book art. It's like a kid's drawing. And yeah, I saw the movie and watched the TV show, it was irreverent. But this doesn't represent the movie.

And I'm not "judging a book by its cover" - I'm saying this art turns me off. If I - were - going to buy it, I'd buy it anyway, rip the CD and hide it in a box, attaching much nicer cover art to the file. But I'm broke so I'm not buying it.

Posted:   Dec 16, 2023 - 5:30 PM   
 By:   JGouse0498   (Member)

Could be worse, see Varese's release of Knight And Day.

Are you referring to the white silhouettes? If so, that was actually one of the theatrical posters for the movie.

Posted:   Dec 16, 2023 - 8:30 PM   
 By:   Josh   (Member)

The cover art is growing on me, and I'd go so far as to say I actually kinda like it.

As to the characters' leftward gaze taking one's eyes off the page, the tallest building in the background--which is centered on the page and a natural point of focus since it's behind the central human figure--is pointing upward (and drawing one's eye) toward the looming, dark spaceship that is pointing to the right, thereby establishing a compositional balance between left/right and dark/light. Pretty smart and creative, if you ask me (which you didn't!).

All that said, I've never seen this film or heard the score, so I need to get on that.

Posted:   Jan 5, 2024 - 10:40 AM   
 By:   A. A. Ron   (Member)

Here's another custom cover to add to the mix.

Just revised this cover with an improved star field.

Posted:   Jan 6, 2024 - 3:22 AM   
 By:   chriscoyle   (Member)

I dismissed this series when it first aired I think on Fox but watched it later. Too bad it didn’t get renewed. It had a great cast and nice plots. One of those what could have been moments. I watched Serenity once and tried to again recently but couldn’t make it through. The soundtrack seems to be all over the place, describing the action.

Posted:   Jan 6, 2024 - 7:29 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

Posted:   Jan 7, 2024 - 4:11 AM   
 By:   spook   (Member)

Bmp

Posted:   Jan 8, 2024 - 1:39 PM   
 By:   Jeyl   (Member)

This new release made me realize just how much I've grown to dislike track separation when music is still playing. I LOVE it when we get discrete tracks that play on their own (i.e. Kirk is Space Shuttle from La-La Land's Star Trek II release), but this isn't the same at all. If I was any good with audio editing tools I'd merge these tracks myself. Oh, how tastes have changed. I used to separate tracks just to make them discrete.

Posted:   Jan 10, 2024 - 9:15 AM   
 By:   obi   (Member)

Regarding the cover art. I think there must be some rights issue at work here. I just received the CD and there’s not a single photo from the movie or of any of the actors anywhere in the booklet.
That’s highly unusual for a soundtrack release, so most likely something is preventing them from using photos from the actual film; or to use any official movie posters for the cover.

Posted:   Jan 16, 2024 - 7:16 AM   
 By:   Hurdy Gurdy   (Member)

Pre-music listen Prep Chat.
CD arrived in mint condition...£7 postage from Varese...standard jiffy bag...not even the slightest crack in jewel case.
I like the poster art (which is actually only half the image, as it covers both sides of the cover), gives it a comic book feel. It's different.
Nothing wrong with Dan's notes, from my initial perusal.
Quite lengthy and informative...didn't notice any typos or terrible grammar/punctuation (someone bleats about it earlier in this thread), with extensive quotes from Newman and Whedon about the music/production.
Without any key art or movie stills, it makes up for that with plenty of reading and info.
No complaints so far.

I'll be back after the music listen...all 88 minutes worth!!

Posted:   Jan 23, 2024 - 6:30 PM   
 By:   Scott Bettencourt   (Member)

Has there been any official announcement of a delay for Serenity or Pleasantville? I ordered both the new Deluxe Editions on December 4th and still haven't received them.

The Varese website lists my order as "unfulfilled." I know how it feels.

Posted:   Jan 23, 2024 - 7:08 PM   
 By:   GoblinScore   (Member)

Has there been any official announcement of a delay for Serenity or Pleasantville? I ordered both the new Deluxe Editions on December 4th and still haven't received them.

The Varese website lists my order as "unfulfilled." I know how it feels.

LOL...not!

Your screwed 'Scott'

See the other angry Varese shipping threads.

No official word, but they basically have employed a fleet of chihuahuas to handle.....everything!

Some folks have received Serenity with its laughable cover art....but not a word on Pleasantville from a soul.

Apologies to make light, but right now Varese is a very unfunny, illegible joke.

Posted:   Jan 23, 2024 - 8:53 PM   

Some folks have received Serenity with its laughable cover art...

Posted:   Jan 23, 2024 - 9:28 PM   
 By:   GoblinScore   (Member)

Some folks have received Serenity with its laughable cover art...

Gran DIO, creepy Mr. "American Nightmare"! (Have you watched 'your namesake' on Netflix yet? It's quite good...hell, I teared up!....but snickered some at your namesake).

That's all. Off to digest the girl in my livi.....ah, the pizza in my fridge! That. No girl captive here. None. Yipe....

Posted:   Jan 24, 2024 - 7:30 AM   

Gran DIO, creepy Mr. "American Nightmare"! (Have you watched 'your namesake' on Netflix yet? It's quite good...hell, I teared up!....but snickered some at your namesake).

That's all. Off to digest the girl in my livi.....ah, the pizza in my fridge! That. No girl captive here. None. Yipe....

Haha. No, I haven't seen it, but I do feel a sort of nostalgic kinship with it every time I see the title on a DVD when someone checks it out from the library. big grin

Posted:   Jan 26, 2024 - 7:17 AM   
 By:   Col. Flagg   (Member)

Serenity and Pleasantville (both Deluxe) just showed up on 7digital.

Posted:   Jan 26, 2024 - 9:24 AM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Weird that Varese couldn't/didn't do the same with their DE of City Hall, which was available on CD so very briefly (and which was licensed from the same entity as their L.A. Confidential DE, which dropped on streaming and download platforms simultaneously with the CD edition's announcement!)

Yavar