Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Dec 2, 2023 - 4:45 AM   
 By:   Phil567   (Member)

My nephew insists on paying a monthly fee for streaming music.

I don't do it. I prefer to own the music rather than renting it, for various reasons.

Here is the main reason: by streaming l might be paying over and over again for the same songs.

That's because if you're like me, you tend to put the same relatively small group of songs that you already know and love into heavy rotation for a while before needing a break and moving on to something else.

So if l'm paying $9.99 a month for streaming l bet that over time l'm paying more per song than just buying the CDs.

Thoughts on this?

Posted:   Dec 2, 2023 - 6:48 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

We've had this conversation many times before. The selling point of streaming is you instantly get billions of songs for a low monthly fee. I can see the value in this if you causally or randomly listen to music. Or music is just something to have on in the background. And you don't really care if songs are removed from the platform over time.

Streaming doesn't work for me because I like to go back to my favorite albums and owning a physical copy guarantees I'll always have that option. Also I don't randomly play miscellaneous songs. Listening to music is an art in itself so I like to create playlists that in my opinion create the best listening experience. Finally as an old folk I value "owning" what I pay for and having a physical item in my possession.

Posted:   Dec 2, 2023 - 1:33 PM   
 By:   nuts_score   (Member)

I also subscribe to a music streaming service and am very happy. I do listen to a wide breadth of music and have a joint membership with my wife which allows us to easily share music playlists or connect to Bluetooth music devices in our house.

Posted:   Dec 2, 2023 - 2:31 PM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

I currently subscribe to Qobus listen to all kinds of music. Music I really want is added to my personal collection. The majority of what I listen to is my own music. I don't think streaming vs owning must be either or. For me, I use both.
But my own music collection matters more than streaming.
I hardly ever listen to or buy single "songs", I mostly listen to albums or compositions.

Posted:   Dec 3, 2023 - 1:23 PM   
 By:   Rameau   (Member)

Yup, I think of music in terms of albums, I went through the sixties only buying a handful of singles. I like to own my music (discs!), maybe it's a generational thing. I rarely listen to music on the radio unless I'm in the car.

Posted:   Dec 3, 2023 - 1:49 PM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

I just added Peter Gabriel's new album, i/o, to my collection. I chose the 24bit/96kHz download option as that was cheaper than the CD. For expanded film score releases, CDs are often still the way to go. But film scores are an exception, most other music is often (not always) better released as digital download.

Posted:   Dec 3, 2023 - 1:52 PM   
 By:   First Breath   (Member)

We've had this conversation many times before. The selling point of streaming is you instantly get billions of songs for a low monthly fee. I can see the value in this if you causally or randomly listen to music. Or music is just something to have on in the background. And you don't really care if songs are removed from the platform over time.

Streaming doesn't work for me because I like to go back to my favorite albums and owning a physical copy guarantees I'll always have that option. Also I don't randomly play miscellaneous songs. Listening to music is an art in itself so I like to create playlists that in my opinion create the best listening experience. Finally as an old folk I value "owning" what I pay for and having a physical item in my possession.

This.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2023 - 8:09 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

As Solium says, this is a topic that we've had many times before.

I prefer to own the music too, whether it's digital files or physical items. I don't listen "casually", I listen to albums from start to finish, and feel more connected to them when I own them. I do obviously stream now and then too, on YouTube or Spotify (I have the free account with ads), but that's only for sampling stuff.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2023 - 8:27 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

As Solium says, this is a topic that we've had many times before.

I prefer to own the music too, whether it's digital files or physical items. I don't listen "casually", I listen to albums from start to finish, and feel more connected to them when I own them. I do obviously stream now and then too, on YouTube or Spotify (I have the free account with ads), but that's only for sampling stuff.

That's me in a nutshell. Even having a free Spotify account and using YouTube for sampling new releases.