Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Dec 3, 2023 - 5:05 AM   
 By:   Indy1981   (Member)

Specifically, have there ever been major motion pictures of: the Iran-Contra affair; England's grooming gangs; Jimmy Saviile; the Zebra murders; the 1989 Romanian revolution; the 1990s Balkans wars; the Clinton-Lewinsky scandal; the 1973 Chilean coup; the Waco Branch-Davidian siege; Mark Essex aka The New Orleans Sniper; the 2002 D.C. Sniper Attacks; the Falklands war; the 2010 Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill...and I'm sure there are many more, which I will add as they come to mind.

What other recent historical events have been "mysteriously" passed over in terms of having been depicted in a major film?

Posted:   Dec 3, 2023 - 5:15 AM   
 By:   Prince Damian   (Member)

I think you'll find some in the comedy section on Wikipedia.

Posted:   Dec 3, 2023 - 5:20 AM   
 By:   TheAvenger   (Member)

Specifically, have there ever been major motion pictures of: the Iran-Contra affair; England's grooming gangs; Jimmy Saviile; the Zebra murders; the 1989 Romanian revolution; the 1990s Balkans wars; the Clinton-Lewinsky scandal; the 1973 Chilean coup; the Waco Branch-Davidian siege; Mark Essex aka The New Orleans Sniper; the 2002 D.C. Sniper Attacks; the Falklands war; the 2010 Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill...and I'm sure there are many more, which I will add as they come to mind.

What other recent historical events have been "mysteriously" passed over in terms of having been depicted in a major film?

Deepwater Horizon was made into a film by Peter Berg and starred Mark Wahlberg.

There has been a mini series which dramatised the Waco siege.

Posted:   Dec 3, 2023 - 5:23 AM   
 By:   Ny   (Member)

; Jimmy Saviile;

"Jimmy's Knee on Daytime TV"

Unfortunately lost the Best Pedo Oscar to 'Michael's Merry-Go-Round for One."

Which is bullshit because Saville's numbers put Jackson's to shame.
Typical Americans, thinking they're the best at everything.

Posted:   Dec 3, 2023 - 7:00 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

the Iran-Contra affair;

The Tom Cruise vehicle AMERICAN MADE is pretty good.

England's grooming gangs; Jimmy Saviile;

I'm only aware of documentaries, like the Louis Theroux one(s).

the 1989 Romanian revolution;

Christian Mungiu, one of the biggest directors of the socalled "Romanian New Wave" made a film called 4 MONTHS, 3 WEEKS AND 2 DAYS that at the very least is set at the tailend of the Ceaucescu regime. Not as famous as his later film GRAUDATION, but a better one, IMO.

1990s Balkans wars;

BEHIND ENEMY LINES is a famous one, although from a very US/Hollywood angle.

the 1973 Chilean coup;

HOUSE OF THE SPIRITS, MISSING....heck, even EVITA? But do check out Pablo Larrain's pre-US, Chilean films, most famously NO (which I believe was also Oscar-nominated for best foreign film).

the Falklands war;

THE IRON LADY, the Thatcher biopic, touches on this.

the 2010 Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill

The Peter Berg/Mark Wahlberg film, as previously mentioned. I actually like that as a disaster movie buff. Seen it three times.

Oh gosh, MANY! Although I'm more interested in older events that have been poorly represented on film. Like colonial America. Not talking about Columbus' landfall in 1492 or the revolutionary war in 1776, but the hundreds of years inbetween. Very few good films from this period (THE VVITCH, THE CRUCIBLE are two). I did a whole thread on that a few years ago, and few could suggest more good titles. Equally struggling is stone age times, or the viking era. But anyways, I digress...

Posted:   Dec 3, 2023 - 7:01 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

Falklands War also known as The Slow Boat To South America.

Posted:   Dec 3, 2023 - 7:21 AM   

Has there ever been a major motion picture about the War of 1812? The 1870 Franco-Prussian War?

Posted:   Dec 3, 2023 - 7:48 AM   
 By:   Prince Damian   (Member)

Has there ever been a major motion picture about the War of 1812? The 1870 Franco-Prussian War?

Mutiny,1952, dir. Edward Dmytryck.

Posted:   Dec 3, 2023 - 7:51 AM   

Has there ever been a major motion picture about the War of 1812?

Yes, THE BUCCANEER. Never seen it myself, but it has a fine Elmer Bernstein score.

While not a film, the great series TABOO, starring Tom Hardy, is also set during this era. We're still waiting for a second season of that show, 6 years later.

Posted:   Dec 3, 2023 - 9:49 AM   
 By:   Rozsaphile   (Member)

I'm more interested in older events that have been poorly represented on film. Like colonial America. Not talking about Columbus' landfall in 1492 or the revolutionary war in 1776, but the hundreds of years in between. Very few good films from this period (THE VVITCH, THE CRUCIBLE are two). I did a whole thread on that a few years ago, and few could suggest more good titles.

Good topic. Warfare accounts for most of the ones listed below. Conflict makes for drama.

LAST OF THE MOHICANS, THE SCARLET LETTER, POCAHONTAS, NORTHWEST PASSAGE, BLACK ROBE, PLYMOUTH ADVENTURE. PENN OF PENNSYLVANIA, . . .

Including the Spanish colonies would yield lots more: MARK OF ZORRO, CABEZA DE VACA . . .

Posted:   Dec 3, 2023 - 9:54 AM   

Good topic. Warfare accounts for most of the ones listed below. Conflict makes for drama.

LAST OF THE MOHICANS, THE SCARLET LETTER, POCAHONTAS, NORTHWEST PASSAGE, BLACK ROBE, PLYMOUTH ADVENTURE. PENN OF PENNSYLVANIA, . . .

Including the Spanish colonies would yield lots more: MARK OF ZORRO, CABEZA DE VACA . . .

MARK OF ZORRO? Isn't that early 19th century? Either way, some great titles you mention there (when you mention POCAHONTAS, one should also mention Malick's THE NEW WORLD, of course). But I've hijacked the thread, which is about more recent events. Here's my old thread on this particular issue:

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=116942&forumID=7&archive=0&pageID=1&r=326#bottom

Posted:   Dec 3, 2023 - 10:06 AM   

But I've hijacked the thread, which is about more recent events.

Not at all! I merely listed a few events, but there are no doubt many more. Please continue!

Posted:   Dec 3, 2023 - 10:09 AM   

It's OK. We can have a separate thread for films about colonial America and another about other historical events. smile

Posted:   Dec 3, 2023 - 10:17 AM   

Has there ever been a film about the Cambodian boat people, an event that would have taken place after the events of "The Killing Fields"? I haven't seen The Killing Fields in years, but IIRC, thie refugee crisis was touched upon, so maybe the refugee crisis isn't one for this list.

Posted:   Dec 3, 2023 - 10:29 AM   

Has there ever been a film about the Cambodian boat people, an event that would have taken place after the events of "The Killing Fields"? I haven't seen The Killing Fields in years, but IIRC, thie refugee crisis was touched upon, so maybe the refugee crisis isn't one for this list.

Would Martin Campbell's BEYOND BORDERS qualify, starring Angelina Jolie? Or would it be considered a riff on THE KILLING FIELDS? I haven't seen it in many years, but it has a superb score by Horner, a really underrated one.

I was in Cambodia and saw the actual Killing Fields some 10-15 years ago. Very powerful.

Sorry for posting so much in this thread (it's probably annoying to anyone reading), but I'm a history buff that loves to experience events through fiction films.

Posted:   Dec 30, 2023 - 10:43 AM   

Some other events...

The failed Delta Force rescue attempt of the US embassy hostages in Iran.

The 1980 SAS Iranian embassy siege (perhaps later portrayed loosely in "Who Dares Wins" aka "The Final Option")

Posted:   Dec 30, 2023 - 10:47 AM   

"Jimmy's Knee on Daytime TV"

Unfortunately lost the Best Pedo Oscar to 'Michael's Merry-Go-Round for One."

Which is bullshit because Saville's numbers put Jackson's to shame.
Typical Americans, thinking they're the best at everything.

That's Sir Jimmy Savile, sadly. Was his knighthood taken away posthumously?

Answer: Apparently not, according to this article:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/18180496/was-jimmy-saviles-knighthood-taken-away/

Posted:   Jan 21, 2024 - 6:02 AM   

Seems like the Kyle Rittenhouse saga should receive the major motion picture treatment. The filmmakers could address the character assassination of Rittenhouse by the media and some politicians, and the laughable, fantasist media's portrayal of the three people Rittenhouse shot in self defense.

Posted:   Jan 21, 2024 - 7:08 AM   
 By:   Dana Wilcox   (Member)

Seems like the Kyle Rittenhouse saga should receive the major motion picture treatment. The filmmakers could address the character assassination of Rittenhouse by the media and some politicians, and the laughable, fantasist media's portrayal of the three people Rittenhouse shot in self defense.

Out of bounds in this forum, Indy.

Posted:   Jan 21, 2024 - 7:18 AM   
 By:   Ny   (Member)

And what you're describing is a propaganda piece. Not saying the studios are above that, but they should be.