Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Dec 3, 2023 - 5:27 PM   
 By:   NO NAME   (Member)

I was about to ask why there is no soundtrack of this movie. But the best way to answer would be to list the top 10 greatest scores that will, for some reasons, never be available. So people won't ask those questions anymore. Henry Mancini's A SHOT IN THE DARK is for me one of them.

1- A SHOT IN THE DARK (Henry Mancini)
2- THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN (Expanded) John Barry
3- THE SPY WHO LOVED ME (Expanded) Marvin Hamlish)
4-
5-
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-

Posted:   Dec 3, 2023 - 6:22 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Why would you declare those Bond scores will never be expanded?

Yavar

Posted:   Dec 3, 2023 - 7:26 PM   
 By:   Viscount Bark   (Member)

A Shot in the Dark is one of Mancini's best scores, perhaps his overall best: It's not simply one or two catchy tunes but filled with many themes and clever touches. Note how the first Clouseau/Kato fight is scored as though it's a real suspense scene - of course it is; at this point for all we know this is a true life-or-death struggle until the comedic relationship between detective and servant is established. One can also cite the lone guitar twang symbolizing Clouseau's, uhm, reaction to the naked Elke Sommer, the lovely "Shadows of Paris" music, and the accordion-heavy mock sneaking-around main title theme and many other delightful musical moments all throughout this film.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2023 - 10:58 AM   

Why would you declare those Bond scores will never be expanded?

Yavar

If they continue to wait, there will be less people to buy them !

Posted:   Dec 4, 2023 - 11:58 AM   

Nobody is “waiting” to release those Bond scores. These things take time and work and patience.

Yavar

Posted:   Dec 4, 2023 - 12:01 PM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

But the best way to answer would be to list the top 10 greatest scores that will, for some reasons, never be available.

It's interesting to read this sentence and then you continue listing two scores that are, indeed, available (although not in the form you desire). smile But anyway, I always thought there was a soundtrack to A SHOT IN THE DARK, so surprised to hear there wasn't. The great theme has been on a couple of compilations, at least. I'd definitely be interested in one too.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2023 - 12:32 PM   

Two tracks were released on a single at the time of the film, and have been reissued here and there on Mancini CD compilations. That’s it. Major grail, because it may be Mancini’s best Pink Panther score even though it doesn’t include his iconic Pink Panther theme. (That said, none of the Pink Panther scores are a patch on Wait Until Dark, IMO.)

Yavar

Posted:   Dec 4, 2023 - 12:48 PM   
 By:   villagardens553   (Member)

Time and work and patience . . . and 50-plus years.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2023 - 1:24 PM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

4. Anything recorded in Canada. As Roger put it they released a score recorded in Canada: it was their first and last score from there. The Canadian musician's union charges too much and (so far) won't play ball like the AFM has.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2023 - 1:53 PM   
 By:   MikeyKW   (Member)

I'm sure we'll get an expanded TMWTGG at some point. We came close to getting it with the last batch of expanded scores 20 years ago, but from what I remember they had limited funds and decided to do Live and Let Die instead. I believe the full score has been archived.

I'm grateful that they did as I much prefer that score to TMWTGG, which was an uninspired rush job that from what I remember John Barry never had much affection for.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2023 - 10:25 PM   

I'm sure we'll get an expanded TMWTGG at some point. We came close to getting it with the last batch of expanded scores 20 years ago, but from what I remember they had limited funds and decided to do Live and Let Die instead. I believe the full score has been archived.

I'm grateful that they did as I much prefer that score to TMWTGG, which was an uninspired rush job that from what I remember John Barry never had much affection for.

Wrong. He was not happy with the song. Uninspired ??? Its one of the best and the James Bond theme is for a change different. Exotic, etc.

Posted:   Dec 4, 2023 - 10:36 PM   

I was about to ask why there is no soundtrack of this movie. But the best way to answer would be to list the top 10 greatest scores that will, for some reasons, never be available. So people won't ask those questions anymore. Henry Mancini's A SHOT IN THE DARK is for me one of them.

4- MURDERERS ROW (Lalo Schifrin) and the other 2 MATT HELM scores by Hugo Montenegro.
5- DANGERbig grinIABOLIK (Ennio Morricone)
6- SPACE GHOST, THE HERCULOIDS and others Hanna-Barbara (Ted Nichols)
7- 60's SPIDER-MAN (Ray Ellis and others) / ROCKET ROBIN HOOD (SYNCHRO SOUND INC.)
8- PHANTASM (Fred Myrow)
9- HANG' EM HIGH (Score + album) Dominic Frontiere
10-

Posted:   Dec 5, 2023 - 9:53 AM   
 By:   ZapBrannigan   (Member)

I'm thankful for the 2003 expansions— but don't you know what "20 years" is? A whole list of FSM posters have died since then. For them, the answer was Never. And the rest of us are not getting any younger. So forgive us for feeling that certain James Bond scores have been outrageously neglected, and for so long that the studio is basically telling us to drop dead.

Posted:   Dec 5, 2023 - 10:12 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

9. Volunteers (James Horner). See quotes in this thread on why:
https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=110367&forumID=1&archive=0

Posted:   Dec 5, 2023 - 10:54 AM   
 By:   MikeyKW   (Member)

Wrong. He was not happy with the song. Uninspired ??? Its one of the best and the James Bond theme is for a change different. Exotic, etc.

His quote about the score was "It's the one I hate most ... it just never happened for me.", and I agree.

It was thrown together in three weeks, among a chaotic production with Cubby and Harry not getting along well. It shows.

Posted:   Dec 5, 2023 - 6:15 PM   

His quote about the score was "It's the one I hate most ... it just never happened for me.", and I agree.

It was thrown together in three weeks, among a chaotic production with Cubby and Harry not getting along well. It shows.

Your information is not complete. In the book THE MUSIC OF JAMES BOND we can read : https://scontent.fyhu2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/408285820_1324820562245812_2741860486751968788_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=3635dc&_nc_ohc=cyNfA8RyalsAX8AIpbB&_nc_ht=scontent.fyhu2-1.fna&oh=00_AfByBNg0qBtr4cb5O-Lk9RDwyG7_sLD3D0kdIDBpcaH-cQ&oe=65752037

https://scontent.fyhu2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/408321148_1324817438912791_56996944971954004_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p526x395&_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=3635dc&_nc_ohc=GnhDrFfxxp4AX8T4n6u&_nc_ht=scontent.fyhu2-1.fna&oh=00_AfDCpZvZ_vwX1dsLU-ti_DA6uuhgiGfX8JHDeVjlBv7H1Q&oe=6573CFDC

Posted:   Dec 6, 2023 - 5:59 AM   
 By:   Stephen Woolston   (Member)

I believe that quote was about the song, not the score, but I say that conceding I'm not in a position to double check right now.

Posted:   Dec 6, 2023 - 9:10 AM   
 By:   roy phillippe   (Member)

A Shot in the Dark is one of Mancini's best scores, perhaps his overall best: It's not simply one or two catchy tunes but filled with many themes and clever touches. Note how the first Clouseau/Kato fight is scored as though it's a real suspense scene - of course it is; at this point for all we know this is a true life-or-death struggle until the comedic relationship between detective and servant is established. One can also cite the lone guitar twang symbolizing Clouseau's, uhm, reaction to the naked Elke Sommer, the lovely "Shadows of Paris" music, and the accordion-heavy mock sneaking-around main title theme and many other delightful musical moments all throughout this film.

The instrument used playing the theme is a harmonium. I think its origin is India.
It has bellows that need to be pumped to create is unique sound. Mancini saw it in a London music store and purchased it. I attended a Q&A with Mancini and he explained its sound and method of playing it.

Posted:   Dec 6, 2023 - 10:52 AM   
 By:   soundtracksi   (Member)

4-
5-
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-

I seem to remember I have an Italian LP with Pink Panther score one side and shot in the dark the other, I am sure they are original, not 100% though , and of course the theme was used in the pink panther cartoon tv show in the Inspector Clouseau sections.

Posted:   Dec 6, 2023 - 11:33 AM   

Maybe an Italian EP, not an LP. Again, only two tracks from A Shot in the Dark were ever released. Check SoundtrackCollector.com.

Yavar