Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Dec 6, 2023 - 12:32 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

I seem to remember I have an Italian LP with Pink Panther score one side and shot in the dark the other, I am sure they are original, not 100% though , ...

This is probably that LP. As the track listing on the back shows, side 2 contains only the two tracks from A SHOT IN THE DARK that have always existed. The rest of side 2 has tracks from THE RETURN OF THE PINK PANTHER.

Posted:   Dec 6, 2023 - 12:35 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Thanks for those details Bob!

Yavar

Posted:   Dec 6, 2023 - 2:51 PM   
 By:   NO NAME   (Member)

I believe that quote was about the song, not the score, but I say that conceding I'm not in a position to double check right now.

https://scontent.fyhu2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/408321148_1324817438912791_56996944971954004_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p526x395&_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=3635dc&_nc_ohc=GnhDrFfxxp4AX8T4n6u&_nc_ht=scontent.fyhu2-1.fna&oh=00_AfDCpZvZ_vwX1dsLU-ti_DA6uuhgiGfX8JHDeVjlBv7H1Q&oe=6573CFDC

Posted:   Dec 6, 2023 - 6:25 PM   

1- A SHOT IN THE DARK (Henry Mancini)
2- THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN (Expanded) John Barry
3- THE SPY WHO LOVED ME (Expanded) Marvin Hamlish)
4- MURDERERS ROW (Lalo Schifrin) and the other 2 MATT HELM scores by Hugo Montenegro.
5- DANGERbig grinIABOLIK (Ennio Morricone)
6- SPACE GHOST, THE HERCULOIDS and others Hanna-Barbara (Ted Nichols)
7- 60's SPIDER-MAN (Ray Ellis and others) / ROCKET ROBIN HOOD (SYNCHRO SOUND INC.)
8- PHANTASM (Fred Myrow)
9- HANG' EM HIGH (Score + album) Dominic Frontiere
10-THE PERSUADERS (Ken Thorne)

And my question was :

Why there was no soundtrack for this movie at the time and is it possible that we could have it on cd one day ?

ps Not in 10 years !

Posted:   Dec 6, 2023 - 6:26 PM   

I was about to ask why there is no soundtrack of this movie. But the best way to answer would be to list the top 10 greatest scores that will, for some reasons, never be available. So people won't ask those questions anymore. Henry Mancini's A SHOT IN THE DARK is for me one of them.

1- A SHOT IN THE DARK (Henry Mancini)
2- THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN (Expanded) John Barry
3- THE SPY WHO LOVED ME (Expanded) Marvin Hamlish)
4- MURDERERS ROW (Lalo Schifrin) and the other 2 MATT HELM scores by Hugo Montenegro.
5- DANGERbig grinIABOLIK (Ennio Morricone)
6- SPACE GHOST, THE HERCULOIDS and others Hanna-Barbara (Ted Nichols)
7- 60's SPIDER-MAN (Ray Ellis and others) / ROCKET ROBIN HOOD (SYNCHRO SOUND INC.)
8- PHANTASM (Fred Myrow)
9- HANG' EM HIGH (Score + album) Dominic Frontiere
10-

How can somebody put this green face on DIABOLIK ?

Posted:   Dec 7, 2023 - 1:51 AM   

Why there was no soundtrack for [A SHOT IN THE DARK] at the time and is it possible that we could have it on cd one day ?

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd chalk it up to the fact that THE PINK PANTHER and A SHOT IN THE DARK were released so close to each other. Although THE PINK PANTHER premiered in Italy in December 1963, it didn't debut in the U.S. until 20 March 1964. Just 3 months later, on 23 June 1964, A SHOT IN THE DARK opened. Since the RCA Mancini releases all involved new recordings, perhaps RCA and/or Mancini felt that having recordings from two Pink Panther/Inspector Clouseau films on the racks at the same time would be detrimental to the sales of both--that prospective customers were likely to buy only one or the other, so why go through the trouble and expense of another recording.

Another possibility is that Mancini just couldn't fit the arranging and recording of an album for A SHOT IN THE DARK into his schedule. Billboard reported that Mancini went to London around 1 March 1964 to write the score for A SHOT IN THE DARK. The film was in the theaters by 23 June 1964. That didn't leave a lot of time to compose and record the score, produce and record a re-arranged album for same, and have RCA press the recording and get it on store shelves in time for the film's opening. As it was, the single of A SHOT IN THE DARK wasn't released until 4 July 1964, after the film had opened. The single broke into the Hot 100 chart at #97 on 18 July 1964 (which is as high as it got).

Meanwhile, the film DEAR HEART, which Mancini had also signed to score, was shooting the same time as A SHOT IN THE DARK. It's known that in early September 1964, Jack L. Warner had changed the title of that film from "The Big Weekend" to DEAR HEART after he heard the original song of the same name, written for the film by Mancini, Jay Livingston, and Ray Evans. So Mancini was likely composing DEAR HEART during the mid-summer of 1964.

Posted:   Dec 7, 2023 - 6:56 AM   
 By:   Lokutus   (Member)

So why still nothing? Not to mention expanded version of the original Pink Panther also never happened (unlike the sequels). What exactly is the problem here? Missing elements? Licencing too difficult? With the score(s) of such importance, it is hard to imagine that in 60 years nobody pursued it.

Posted:   Dec 7, 2023 - 9:21 AM   
 By:   AndrewH   (Member)

Yes - I remember when Lukas Kendall told the story of the expansions that it was budgetary constraints that led to LALD being expanded but not TMWTGG.

I'd love to see A Shot In The Dark.

Having seen issues with negotiating and issuing licences for all sorts of things over the years, I'm amazed anything gets released or re-issued. I can understand that the owners may want to issue wider commercial releases in the future but then just have a limited edition run. The silly details I've seen fussed over are ridiculous sometimes.

I can't recall if there was a licensing issue with a proposed The Spy Who Loved Me expansion but I could imagine that trying to sort out the ownership and rights between the Bond producers, record labels, Carly Simon, the estate of Marvin Hamlisch, Carole Bayer-Sager, Monty Norman, Fleming estate etc. could quickly become a nightmare.

For me, I'd hope that they'd see the market would be fairly limited and it is basically free advertising for their product for everyone concerned.

"Do you want this done or not?"

And it's particularly sad for TSWLM, as apart from some tracks with different orchestration, I don't think it has ever had a proper soundtrack release for which it was nominated for an Academy Award.

Posted:   Dec 7, 2023 - 1:29 PM   

So why still nothing? Not to mention expanded version of the original Pink Panther also never happened (unlike the sequels). What exactly is the problem here? Missing elements? Licencing too difficult? With the score(s) of such importance, it is hard to imagine that in 60 years nobody pursued it.

Just about every label has worked with MGM at some point. I'm sure more than one has asked about THE PINK PANTHER and A SHOT IN THE DARK. How about it labels? What were you told?

Posted:   Dec 11, 2023 - 12:21 PM   

Everyone can't get this score !

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_NW50FBr1aeg/SSM328R3rvI/AAAAAAAAAl4/a302H9OlleM/s1600-h/condorman+++back.jpg

http://soundtracklistcovers.blogspot.com/

Posted:   Dec 11, 2023 - 3:38 PM   
 By:   Jameson281   (Member)

SHOT IN THE DARK has come up many time before on this board, and IIRC it has been said that there are no tapes of the score known to survive. Same with the film version of the original PINK PANTHER.

Posted:   Dec 11, 2023 - 4:35 PM   
 By:   cody1949   (Member)

The Mirisch Brothers who produced the Pink Panther films were notorious for not saving the musical elements to their films;especially in the late 50’s and early 60’s. Gary Cooper’s MAN OF THE WEST is one example.

Posted:   Dec 11, 2023 - 4:49 PM   
 By:   neumation   (Member)

The Mirisch Brothers who produced the Pink Panther films were notorious for not saving the musical elements to their films;especially in the late 50’s and early 60’s. Gary Cooper’s MAN OF THE WEST is one example.

Not exactly. Some Mirisch assets were sold at auction by TransAmerica for unknown reasons and some are buried in the abyss of MGM. I don’t think it was a matter of any of the Mirisches deliberately discarding anything. The common denominator with inaccessible archive materials is MGM, who has been juggling archives for several decades and doesn’t have the staff to dig through thousands of boxes. United Artists was not systematically boxed and organzied when MGM bought the company. A bunch of Mirisch stuff is there. It will take ages to retrieve.

Posted:   Dec 11, 2023 - 5:26 PM   
 By:   cody1949   (Member)

Not exactly. Some Mirisch assets were sold at auction by TransAmerica for unknown reasons and some are buried in the abyss of MGM. I don’t think it was a matter of any of the Mirisches deliberately discarding anything. The common denominator with inaccessible archive materials is MGM, who has been juggling archives for several decades and doesn’t have the staff to dig through thousands of boxes. United Artists was not systematically boxed and organzied when MGM bought the company. A bunch of Mirisch stuff is there. It will take ages to retrieve.

Thanks for that information.

Posted:   Dec 13, 2023 - 6:03 AM   
 By:   Captain_Kaos   (Member)

That means for me the tapes are lost. But maybe someone can ask the Mancini-heirs? I don't know whether he made copies from his music, but that could be a solution to get an "A Shot in the Dark" release. "The Pink Panther" and "The Return of the Pink Panther" would be also nice, but I can live with this old SONY-CD, where you can listen to the recordings Mancini made shortly after the movie was finished and most of the stuff from the third movie.

Posted:   Dec 13, 2023 - 9:39 AM   
 By:   roy phillippe   (Member)

That means for me the tapes are lost. But maybe someone can ask the Mancini-heirs? I don't know whether he made copies from his music, but that could be a solution to get an "A Shot in the Dark" release. "The Pink Panther" and "The Return of the Pink Panther" would be also nice, but I can live with this old SONY-CD, where you can listen to the recordings Mancini made shortly after the movie was finished and most of the stuff from the third movie.

Monica Mancini has a Facebook page. You can leave her a message there.

Posted:   Dec 14, 2023 - 7:11 AM   
 By:   Captain_Kaos   (Member)

Monica Mancini has a Facebook page. You can leave her a message there.

That has to do somebody else. I'm not on Facebook and never will.

Posted:   Dec 14, 2023 - 9:23 AM   

if the tapes are lost, re-recording is an option.
With scores this popular and important I don't doubt any goal to make them happen would have any difficulties to get reached.

Posted:   Dec 14, 2023 - 11:30 AM   
 By:   JB Fan   (Member)

I love to do this post. I do it every year. wink

Jose from Quartet said YEARS ago, that Sony have mono copy of SHOT IN THE DARK. But as I understand - licensing it is some kind of nightmare, so that's the reason why we still not see (or better say - hear) it.

Posted:   Dec 14, 2023 - 1:55 PM   

There has been a ton of stuff coming from sony - hell, LLL released 2 Sony titles not so long ago... must be complicated by something else then?