Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Feb 1, 2024 - 12:45 PM   
 By:   GoblinScore   (Member)

Could have lived without the source/circus music-not my bag, but hey ho.

The clown marches are not cool. Gotta be on time on that remote or you will find yourself in a weird place.

Seriously, I hate to complain, but do we have to have this stuff?

The score itself is very cool.

Please to be referring to the Octopussy thread to answer your question....

Posted:   Feb 1, 2024 - 3:05 PM   
 By:   Ny   (Member)

Please to be referring to the Octopussy thread to answer your question....

You can't make me go in there!
But I can imagine the clamouring is for the opposite.
I'm going to assume the track they want is actually worth having, and in that case I support them.
Military marches, however, do not need any more outlets.
Even in clown variants.

Posted:   Feb 1, 2024 - 6:03 PM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

Thanks. Is that 8 seconds less from the film or from the old boot? Perhaps part of the cue was looped to fit the final timing in the movie.

Both film and boot, since the music on the boot was taken from the old laserdisc's isolated score. I believe that it was recorded this way. Maybe Horner edited it down himself for the old album and then decided not to use the track after all. La-La Land shortened a long string sustain from "Commando" as well. For listening purposes it makes sense. In this case there's no actual music missing, just more of the same long sustain.

Thanks. A quick review of the scene gave a 96 seconds cue, more or less what seems to be on the CD. I'll confirm once I receive my copy.

Posted:   Feb 2, 2024 - 5:16 AM   
 By:   Ny   (Member)

I love the score.
The combination of childlike-wonder with horror is a potent one, and a real opportunity for a composer.
Horner makes the most of it, and between the two achieves an air of high fantasy, with so many lulling motifs, inviting and carrying the listener along.
I'd park it in the prestigious 80s fantasy category alongside his own Krull, Willow, the two Conans, Dragonslayer, The Dark Crystal, Legend. I reckon Rosenman's '78 LOTR belongs in there too.
On the one hand, how did I overlook this until now? On the other, what a great discovery to make at this late stage.

Posted:   Feb 3, 2024 - 12:55 PM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

The subtle, suspenseful "Holloway Talks to Dark" (the character is actually spelled Halloway by the way) is probably the highlight of the previously unreleased score. A long tremolo sustain in its middle has been shortened by about 8 seconds for this release though.

I compared the length of "Holloway Talks to Dark" - should be properly spelt Halloway - and the film and CD timings seem to be identical.

Posted:   Feb 4, 2024 - 11:00 AM   
 By:   BrenKel   (Member)

I love the score.
The combination of childlike-wonder with horror is a potent one, and a real opportunity for a composer.
Horner makes the most of it, and between the two achieves an air of high fantasy, with so many lulling motifs, inviting and carrying the listener along.
I'd park it in the prestigious 80s fantasy category alongside his own Krull, Willow, the two Conans, Dragonslayer, The Dark Crystal, Legend. I reckon Rosenman's '78 LOTR belongs in there too.
On the one hand, how did I overlook this until now? On the other, what a great discovery to make at this late stage.

You put this score amongst some very esteemed company and deservedly so.

Posted:   Feb 4, 2024 - 12:30 PM   
 By:   spook   (Member)

Finally got mine yesterday and gave it a listen today. I love the new sequencing and think it plays better than the previous release. I didn’t hear any sound difference and, reading the notes, i don’t think there’s any indication there should be as i don’t think its meant to be remastered, just resequenced? Doesn’t really matter as the last release sounded great anyway.
One thing i did feel which would just be a personal choice thing, was about the track ‘Library Part 2’. As the main difference in this is the resequenced tracks, i would have split the track into their individual parts and put the Ms Folley in the mirror track earlier and the rest of the Library sequence just as part of the ‘Library Part 1’ track. The extra tracks are good to have but probably not ones id listen to much ( apart from the new Horner brief track of course). Although, as it was a memorable moment in the film, the Beethoven Dirge track id probably go back to.
All in all really happy i got it. If you’re a casual fan and have the first release you could probably just rearrange the tracks yourself and have nearly the same experience but if you’re a fan ( and this is one of my all time favourite scores) this is a great release and well worth getting.

Posted:   Feb 10, 2024 - 1:38 PM   
 By:   cshaneyfelt   (Member)

As stated in the booklet and earlier here in the forum, according to the cue sheet only two source cues couldn't be located and remain unreleased: "Calliope Spider" and "Daytime Entrance".

I enjoyed reading your cue analysis and info, SilentWitness. I received the new album and I'm loving it. I like the new, more chronological cue sequence, and the sound quality is terrific as it was on the previous issue. The new "Dust Witch" pieces and "Holloway Talks to Dark" are really cool additions. I haven't played the source cues yet, as I've been enjoying the Horner pieces so much! Truly a masterful score.

I was wondering where the cues "Calliope Spider" and "Daytime Entrance" (the ones that couldn't be found) appear in the film? Just curious!

Posted:   Feb 12, 2024 - 11:31 PM   
 By:   SilentWitness   (Member)

I was wondering where the cues "Calliope Spider" and "Daytime Entrance" (the ones that couldn't be found) appear in the film? Just curious!

"Calliope Spider" can be heard when the boys come across the spider in the Dust Witch's wagon the very first night before the carnival opens. It's introduced by eery pizzicato strings before the calliope music starts as the boys run away. It's actually used as score as there is no apparent source for the music.

"Daytime Entrance" is the source music for the opening day of the carnival when the boys arrive in daylight the next day. It gets faded out when one-legged Ed sees himself whole in the magic mirror and gets faded in again when the boys meet Miss Foley coming out of the mirror cabinet.

Posted:   Feb 13, 2024 - 7:42 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

In the film during the battle at the end in the mirrors, there is what sounds like some very very lowly mixed sound design "score" -- hard to hear. I seriously doubt this is Horner material (Something created editorially? Something done by another composer at the last second?). Anybody have any idea?

Posted:   Feb 13, 2024 - 1:32 PM   
 By:   cshaneyfelt   (Member)

"Calliope Spider" can be heard when the boys come across the spider in the Dust Witch's wagon the very first night before the carnival opens. It's introduced by eery pizzicato strings before the calliope music starts as the boys run away. It's actually used as score as there is no apparent source for the music.

"Daytime Entrance" is the source music for the opening day of the carnival when the boys arrive in daylight the next day. It gets faded out when one-legged Ed sees himself whole in the magic mirror and gets faded in again when the boys meet Miss Foley coming out of the mirror cabinet.

Thank you so much for the great, detailed information, SilentWitness!