Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Feb 18, 2024 - 7:26 AM   
 By:   mulan98   (Member)

Apologies. I've just done a search in the group but cannot find the information I seek which is...
Does a recording, of any kind, exist of this extraordinary score and the songs featured therein?

Posted:   Feb 18, 2024 - 7:29 AM   
 By:   governor   (Member)

here it is

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=70377&forumID=1&archive=0

Posted:   Feb 18, 2024 - 7:48 AM   
 By:   Last Child   (Member)

Use a search engine like google, using "FSM" and whatever the subject is, and you'll find multiple threads for it.

Here's a thread about original recordings.
https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=101409

Posted:   Feb 18, 2024 - 8:00 AM   
 By:   mgh   (Member)

The film is one of a kind; exceptional as is the score. I would buy this in a heartbeat.

Posted:   Feb 18, 2024 - 8:06 AM   
 By:   Prince Damian   (Member)

Ordered!
Just sayin'

Posted:   Feb 18, 2024 - 11:26 AM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

here's an oldie for anyone in a Voracious Ravenousitis Hunter frame of mind--

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?pageID=1&forumID=1&threadID=10217&archive=1

Posted:   Feb 19, 2024 - 9:00 PM   
 By:   Preston Neal Jones   (Member)

There have been more FSM HUNTER threads than I can count over the years. On one of them, I posted this happy Youtube discovery which I'm happy to post again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgnwTahnD5k

It's almost the entire score, minus only two source music cues and the scream (which climaxes the river chase and leads into the pastoral river journey). It's cobbled together from mutiple sources, mostly acetates and the M&E tracks.

Does anyone here have the recent Kino Lorber 4K release of the film? It's got an isolated M&E track, but I haven't heard it because I'm not equipped to play 4K. I'd love to know if they handled it properly -- which was not the case on a previous European video disc...

Posted:   Feb 20, 2024 - 2:32 PM   

It's in the oldie link Last Child posted above, for one. He replied with that YT entry in 2021.

Posted:   Feb 20, 2024 - 2:49 PM   

Good to know, thanks, Howard.

BUT I STILL HOPE SOMEBODY OUT THERE CAN TELL US ABOUT THE ISOLATED KINO-LORBER TRACK!

ANYBODY . . . ?

Posted:   Feb 21, 2024 - 8:03 AM   

It's in the oldie link Last Child posted above, for one. He replied with that YT entry in 2021.

Thank you for the recognition. Suffice to say I had a hand in the "cobbling" and upload.

I sent an inquiry to Kino, and to Dvdbeaver who has the 4K UHD release, and will relay any info.

Posted:   Feb 21, 2024 - 4:41 PM   

Your hand deserves a big hand, Last Child! Thanks for yours and anybody else's fingers who contributed to this miracle.

(And thanks in advance for anything you can find out about the 4-K.)

Posted:   Feb 22, 2024 - 6:00 AM   

Your hand deserves a big hand, Last Child! Thanks for yours and anybody else's fingers who contributed to this miracle.

(And thanks in advance for anything you can find out about the 4-K.)

In the meantime, if you look in the older thread I posted above, you can see a couple members mentioning the acetates so they might have more info. I got the acetate music (which are partial, incomplete) from an FSM member who died a few years ago. I can send you the unedited acetates files (and Arrow mfx if I still have it) if you want them. I sent an email which you can reply to.

Posted:   Feb 22, 2024 - 8:02 AM   
 By:   mgh   (Member)

And if you haven't read Preston's book on Night of the Hunter, you need to find it; it is wonderful.

Heaven and Hell to Play With: The Filming of The Night of the Hunter

Posted:   Feb 22, 2024 - 4:33 PM   

Thanks for the plug, MGH! And if anyone likes my book, I recommend my colleague Jeff Couchman's tome, THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER: BIOGRAPHY OF A FILM. Our two books complement each other so well that I think of them as Volume One and Volume Two of a single work. In any case, yes, my book has an awful lot about Schumann's music, much of it from his widow, Sonya, whom I interviewed.

Posted:   Feb 22, 2024 - 6:14 PM   

And if you haven't read Preston's book on Night of the Hunter, you need to find it; it is wonderful.

Heaven and Hell to Play With: The Filming of The Night of the Hunter

Yup, per oldie thread noted earlier!

Posted:   Feb 23, 2024 - 4:32 AM   

here it is

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=70377&forumID=1&archive=0

Thank you for this.

Posted:   Feb 23, 2024 - 4:52 AM   

Thanks to all for the informative responses to my question. Especially to Preston Neal Jones. I have your book Mr Jones and regard it as a invaluable resource.
Thank you also for the links to the You Tube recordings.
We ran the movie to our Reel Issues church group on Wednesday evening. I was apprehensive as to how it would be received but my fears were groundless. The film scored an average of 8 out of 10 with the 40 persons present with some singling out the photography and music for special praise.
I would like to post a picture of the event if someone could tell be how?

Posted:   Feb 24, 2024 - 6:13 PM   

The Kino MFX seems to be the same as the Arrow MFX, at least regarding the missing music in two scenes (John's bedtime story, and a brief bit when he has coffee with Uncle Birdie, sandwiched within the steamboat music). The murder music is substituted in their place. I didn't get any replies to my inquiries so I found a source for the MFX. The sound quality might be better, if that matters.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 10:39 AM   
 By:   cody1949   (Member)

Now,if only some label could do a Kickstarter for a new recording of this score. I already know that members on this board who are regarded highly feel the same as I do.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 11:24 AM   
 By:   LeighPhillips   (Member)

Now,if only some label could do a Kickstarter for a new recording of this score. I already know that members on this board who are regarded highly feel the same as I do.

Interestingly, this was on Tadlow’s radar - in between the last two Rozsa’s that James produced (although I could be misremembering the timing) I did complete the Main Title (no vocals on the demo). Great score, which definitely needs recording!

https://mega.nz/file/XnIklCrK#WYupNki1FKSrpNrE0-sxWKyuXF1g6-36K5_psZ0ovG8