Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 11:40 AM   
 By:   Last Child   (Member)

Now,if only some label could do a Kickstarter for a new recording of this score. I already know that members on this board who are regarded highly feel the same as I do.

Interestingly, this was on Tadlow’s radar - in between the last two Rozsa’s that James produced (although I could be misremembering the timing) I did complete the Main Title (no vocals on the demo). Great score, which definitely needs recording!

https://mega.nz/file/XnIklCrK#WYupNki1FKSrpNrE0-sxWKyuXF1g6-36K5_psZ0ovG8

Sounds great. I wonder why it's being ignored. Too low brow or something? The movie is well-known and highly regarded so the music might find a consumer audience beyond soundtrack fans.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 12:47 PM   
 By:   cody1949   (Member)

Perhaps it is being ignored because it doesn’t have the words “death “ or “blood “ in the title.
I am making a comment about today’s younger soundtrack fans who know more about TV shows than movies and aren’t ashamed of it.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 1:03 PM   

Perhaps it is being ignored because it doesn’t have the words “death “ or “blood “ in the title.
I am making a comment about today’s younger soundtrack fans who know more about TV shows than movies and aren’t ashamed of it.

I mean ignored by people who do re-recordings, especially as no decent original recordings can be found. I doubt the audience you mentioned were interested in the two Tadlow Rozsa re-recordings, but they were still made.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 1:55 PM   
 By:   LeighPhillips   (Member)

Now,if only some label could do a Kickstarter for a new recording of this score. I already know that members on this board who are regarded highly feel the same as I do.

Interestingly, this was on Tadlow’s radar - in between the last two Rozsa’s that James produced (although I could be misremembering the timing) I did complete the Main Title (no vocals on the demo). Great score, which definitely needs recording!

Sounds great. I wonder why it's being ignored. Too low brow or something? The movie is well-known and highly regarded so the music might find a consumer audience beyond soundtrack fans.

Nothing low-brow about the score…it’s tops. But I think this is the fundamental difference between Tadlow and most other labels; James went into these projects knowing they were unlikely to turn a profit (or even make their money back). So, if he enjoyed something, he’d make an album.

The majority of labels would be looking at projects which could generate $ (and, of course, there’s nothing wrong with that). I think this is why we’re seeing an increased number of older score recordings being funded by Kickstarter etc…guaranteed pre-orders and the recording is pretty much already paid for.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 2:05 PM   

I mean ignored by people who do re-recordings, especially as no decent original recordings can be found. I doubt the audience you mentioned were interested in the two Tadlow Rozsa re-recordings, but they were still made.

Because there will still enough of us golden age fans still alive. Our numbers continue to get smaller. The numbers of people who watch TCM aren’t where they used to be. Also the labels are lucky to have customers who want second and third editions on stuff that have already been released. I am in my early eighties and I would consider my collecting days over but for 3 titles.
JOAN OF ARC- Friedhofer
THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER-Schumann
THE HANGING TREE- Max Steiner.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 2:42 PM   

Nothing low-brow about the score…it’s tops. But I think this is the fundamental difference between Tadlow and most other labels; James went into these projects knowing they were unlikely to turn a profit (or even make their money back). So, if he enjoyed something, he’d make an album.

The majority of labels would be looking at projects which could generate $ (and, of course, there’s nothing wrong with that). I think this is why we’re seeing an increased number of older score recordings being funded by Kickstarter etc…guaranteed pre-orders and the recording is pretty much already paid for.

Didn't someone put out a list of titles, asking people to vote or prioritize what they'd want? Maybe I'm thinking of a poll Lukas took when he was choosing titles from the UCLA collection. Anyway, I wonder why Tadlow passed on this one. Did you do your demo by yourself, or hire additional musicians? Perhaps you'd be interested in taking this on via kickstarter?

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 2:56 PM   
 By:   TacktheCobbler   (Member)

Didn't someone put out a list of titles, asking people to vote or prioritize what they'd want? Maybe I'm thinking of a poll Lukas took when he was choosing titles from the UCLA collection. Anyway, I wonder why Tadlow passed on this one. Did you do your demo by yourself, or hire additional musicians? Perhaps you'd be interested in taking this on via kickstarter?

Intrada did a poll last year for potential titles on Facebook and their forum before it was locked for their next Kickstarter recording after the Herrmann twofer, and Night of the Hunter was one of the options. With the tallies of both polls, it actually made the top three (behind The Chairman and Rózsa’s Jungle Book).

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 3:02 PM   

Intrada did a poll last year for potential titles on Facebook and their forum before it was locked for their next Kickstarter recording after the Herrmann twofer, and Night of the Hunter was one of the options. With the tallies of both polls, it actually made the top three (behind The Chairman and Rózsa’s Jungle Book).

Ah, that rings a bell, thanks. Gotta figure out how to stuff the ballot box next time.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 3:40 PM   

Would be nice to hear from Doug Fakes partner , Roger Feigelson on this subject. I don’t remember ever seeing Doug posting here.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 5:11 PM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

Hey LC, you and James T were having a bit of a discussion on the old long thread I pulled up. Around 2015 November.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 6:40 PM   

Hey LC, you and James T were having a bit of a discussion on the old long thread I pulled up. Around 2015 November.

I only made the one post with links to sites that might have the written score. The lack of which was the initial obstacle to any recording. Several cues are mentioned in the index of the Couchman book about the movie, so he might have the entire thing. This cue is popular enough to be readily available:
https://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0128002

I was re-reading that old thread that governor posted at the started of this topic, kind of funny seeing at least 3 labels insulting each other. The good ole days.

The strangest thing I've seen, which maybe everyone knows about, was the concept album "The Night of the Hunter Project" by
Pierre Fablet. Jazz/rock/electronic covers of the cues. I dunno if he had the written score, or was just playing by ear. Hear samples: https://www.deezer.com/en/album/400816

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 7:15 PM   
 By:   neumation   (Member)

I only made the one post with links to sites that might have the written score. The lack of which was the initial obstacle to any recording. Several cues are mentioned in the index of the Couchman book about the movie, so he might have the entire thing. This cue is popular enough to be readily available:

I’ve spent several years cataloging United Artists/MGM scores and orchestra parts. This one has never turned up anywhere. If it is found, I will gladly publish it and help finance a re-recording.

Posted:   Feb 26, 2024 - 6:24 AM   

I’ve spent several years cataloging United Artists/MGM scores and orchestra parts. This one has never turned up anywhere. If it is found, I will gladly publish it and help finance a re-recording.

Noone responded to my old 2015 post so I don't know if James (whom I also emailed then) ever checked the links, although one site had the Main Title music so maybe Leigh used that to record his demo? If James had a recording planned, maybe he had most of the score and recreated any missing scoring? Would be nice to know so we don't waste our time searching for it.

Posted:   Feb 26, 2024 - 7:10 AM   
 By:   mulan98   (Member)

Lots of terrific information here. Many thanks to all.

Posted:   Feb 26, 2024 - 9:33 AM   
 By:   LeighPhillips   (Member)

Noone responded to my old post so I don't know if James (whom I also emailed then) ever checked the links, although one site had the Main Title music so maybe Leigh used that to record his demo? If James had a recording planned, maybe he had most of the score and recreated any missing scoring? Would be nice to know so we don't waste our time searching for it.

I didn’t have access to full charts, but certainly enough sketch material to undertake a reconstruction of the complete score (without resorting to takedowns)

I’m not saying I did that, but that the material is there to do so

Posted:   Feb 26, 2024 - 9:51 AM   

Thanks to all of you for keeping an old man’s hopes up.

Posted:   Feb 27, 2024 - 4:55 AM   
 By:   mulan98   (Member)

If Leigh's involved there's always hope.

Thank you for all your efforts in this area. Frank.

Posted:   Feb 27, 2024 - 2:12 PM   

I put in a request at the AHC (one of the places I recommended to James in 2015), and they thought they saw some of the score. The request queue is a month or two deep, but that might be for copying, whereas they implied they'll search the unsorted boxes now for the score. Hopefully it's all there.

Posted:   Feb 27, 2024 - 3:01 PM   
 By:   neumation   (Member)

I put in a request at the AHC (one of the places I recommended to James in 2015), and they thought they saw some of the score. The request queue is a month or two deep, but that might be for copying, whereas they implied they'll search the unprocessed boxes now for the score. Hopefully it's all there.

It didn’t turn up there a few years back, but it’s big news if it’s there. I have a colleague there who can scan it. Please keep us updated. If you email me at info at neumation-music.com we can discuss and I can add the data to the MGM spreadsheet

Posted:   Feb 27, 2024 - 3:21 PM   

I put in a request at the AHC (one of the places I recommended to James in 2015), and they thought they saw some of the score. The request queue is a month or two deep, but that might be for copying, whereas they implied they'll search the unprocessed boxes now for the score. Hopefully it's all there.

It didn’t turn up there a few years back, but it’s big news if it’s there. I have a colleague there who can scan it. Please keep us updated. If you email me at info at neumation-music.com we can discuss and I can add the data to the MGM spreadsheet

If they didn't find it before, then I doubt they stumbled on it during a cursory check now. These are probably different archivists who wouldn't know it's been researched before. It would simplify everything if they finally processed the boxes.